• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fizzy drinks?

Bubbles1971

Hi, I'm getting various different bits of info on why you shouldn't have dizzy drinks, I've read it's because it fills you up, or because it causes bloating and stretches your stomach, or because it can shift your band and I've also read that all of this is a myth .... Can anyone clarify? As a rule I don't drink many fizzy drinks but I do like a wee gin and tonic or prosecco the odd time I go out

Hi, I'm getting various different bits of info on why you shouldn't have dizzy drinks, I've read it's because it fills you up, or because it causes bloating and stretches your stomach, or because it can shift your band and I've also read that all of this is a myth .... Can anyone clarify? As a rule I don't drink many fizzy drinks but I do like a wee gin and tonic or prosecco the odd time I go out

My surgeon told me that the fizzy drink stretching the stomach is a myth, if that was the case every person that drank a fizzy drink got a bigger stomach! I was told so long as it didn't hurt to go ahead :)

Only thing I was told was a no-no was chewing/bubble gum I think that we need to use our own judgements as no 2 surgeons sing from the same hymn sheet, I'm 27 months out maintaining a steady 12.5st loss so will continue as I have been :)

I got told by my surgeon that they say no fizzy more aimed at people who used to drink say 2litres of fizzy pop a day. He said having the occasional glass of G&T or prosecco wouldn't be a problem. A bottle of prosecco that I used to be able to get through would be a problem - think just sheer volume and all the gas in it. I'm a month post op and not had a drink yet so no idea how it will go down when I do. X

I have a sleeve not a band but was told no fizzy, even the doctors in mexico say no soda so that says a lot. I was told the carbonated gas can aggrevate your stomach causing acid and stomach issues, can stretch the stomach, stimulates appetite and bloats you.
At the end of the day do what your surgeon tells you, thats what ive done, follow the advice they give you.
Ive not had a drop of anything fizzy in 18 months since my op, i dont miss it.

I will admit to having the odd bit of fizz but its normally flat and warmish, cant drink it ice cold or fizzy it just foams up in my throat and feels really strange once it hits my tummy but it greatly reduced from the multi cans I would drink mosts days , dont really miss , when I do have the odd one its those baby cans you can now get it asda or tesco not a full can size its a waste for me to break one of thise open

My team said to avoid alcohol for 3 months however this advice was given with a stern face from the dietician saying that even after 3 months alcohol is empty calories and will make losing weight difficult if it is reintroduced think she would prefer if we were all t total!!!
I'm only coming up to six weeks out so I haven't had any alcohol since New Year's Eve I normally do dry January anyway so have set myself a personal goal instead to remain alcohol free for six months so looking forward to sitting in the sunshine in July a bit skinnier with a little tipple #happydays Xx

I asked the support team last week as its detailed as not allowed on my pre op diet .
She said it's the empty calories in the sugar of say cola and also the aspartame that they put in diet drinks . Aspartame is pretty nasty stuff if you read up on it ..
I assume if I drink fizzy after I've had my band fitted it would cause some discomfort as it passes through the gap ?
I am/was a big ice tea drinker but I've found out its full of sugar so that's going to be off the table along with Mountain Dew ..
Mindy
Xxx

dfferent providers give dfferent information. Fizzy isn't banned or limited with mine. Some people find with tight restriction the build up of gas and bubbles can cause food to come up quickly (why often it's a suggested trick to get rid of blocked food)

Back