• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

fluid build up after a tummy tuck

Bubbles8504

I was wondering if anyone else had or has a problem with fluid building up under the skin after having a full tummy tuck
I'm now 13 days post op & everything was great until 5 or 6 days post op, then i stared to swell which i was expecting.

The doctor tried aspirating on Friday but had no luck & after swelling so much over the weekend that my wound started to open i went back to hospital yesterday for them to try again.

They managed to remove ½ pint of fluid which from the outside didn't look any different but today i think i would qualify to be the 5th telly tubby.
Anyone have the same problem or can share their story, it would be a geat help.

oh bubbles, sorry to hear you are going through this just now. Just hoping the swelling will go down quickly for you. What has caused this? You have been through it all so easily and now this happens. Just lets hope its a little blip and you will be right as rain in no time.

Please keep us informed.

4 more sleeps till mine

big hugs

xxx:wave_cry:xxx

Thanks for you messgae Buffybabes,

I feel fine apart from the fluid & swelling, i haven't had any painkillers for 5 days now, i haven't had one day of pain at all just slight discomfort, i think i've had worse period pains to be honest.

I know what you mean about the nerves before the call to the hospital, the dreaded bed availabilty check.
I remember that all to well, I had to call at 10am, I sat there with the phone in my hand with the number already punched in the phone, my heart was racing & even more so when i got the engaged tone.

I do hope they have a bed for you, I know all area's & hospitals are different but reading stories on here i haven't heard of anyone saying that there was no bed available on the day of op.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck. x x

Oh bubbles I am so sorry you have swelled up. I have read a story about someone on here swelling for a while after surgery but it did eventually go down. Can't rememebr who it was maybe it was poppypoo. Try looking her up.

hope you are feeling bit better today bubbles. Was laughing at what you said about having phone in your hand with number already on redial. Thats funny, and i will prob do the same hee hee.

Thoughts are with you, just hope you are ok.

hugs
xxxxxxx

Hi Buffybabes,

Feeling good today despite looking like a telly tubby, i don't have any problems apart from the fluid, hopefully they will drain some more on Friday.

I'm sort of hoping they will put the drains back in which to me sounds like a more simple option than to keep going into hospital every few days for them to aspirate & then have the fluid build up again.

I was talking about it to my husband last night & we both agree that the drains were taken out to soon.

I had the op on the Wednesday afternoon so was in bed until Thursday morning. I got up Thursday morning & went to the loo which was fine a little awkward, not so easy to pull your knickers down with tubes dangling, but i managed, anyway when i was walking back to my bed i got a little dizzie, my hearing went funny & my eyes went a little blurry so got into bed & told the nurse.
The nurse took my blood pressure & it was very low although it had been low since i got there, she put me on bed rest for the rest of the day.
Obviously as i wasn't aloud out of bed the fluid wasn't draining as much & when the Doc came round Friday morning & saw that there hadn't been much drainage in the last 24 hrs she said the drains could come out & i could go home.

I honestly think that if she had see on my notes that i'd been on bed rest for so long & that i hadn't been walking around giving the drains a change to drain more, i don't think she would let the drains come out.

I was originally told i wouldn't be going home until the monday.
I guess they needed my bed.

Anyway enough of my wittering.

Hi Bubbles

I know poppypoo had fluid build up and had to get it drained so might be worth having a chat with her - if i remember rightly she described it as her tummy being like a water bed.

The build up could be because of the time they took the drains out but if it reassures you I had my op at 4pm on tues and they took my drains out at 9am on the thurs so about the same time as you and I've been fine - I had it done 9th Dec - gosh so I'm almost 3 months post op - where does the time go.

Are you still wearing your compression garment? i wore mine day and night for 6 weeks - it had turned black by the time i finally gave it up LOL

Once it's all settled down you'll be so happy you had it done I promise - I was so pleased when I saw the results I booked in for a breast uplift and am now 1 week post that op

Thanks Lou1973,

I'll have a good read of poppypoo's story again.
Yes i have been wearing my compression garment, the only time i take it off is to shower & go to the loo of course.

Going back to the hospital at 12pm today for them to have another look, i'm so big this morning when i look down i can't see my feet, i'm a very possitive person but it's very disheartening being big all my life finally losing the weight, having my dreams come true with a tummy tuck only to be so filled with fluid i look 6 months pregnant.

Mother in law was going to take me today but hubby has said he's not happy with all the messing about going backwards & forwards every few days which wipes out a whole day, to be aspirated only for the fluid to build up again hours later.
Having his own business has taught him not to beat around the bush & if you want something ask for it, he's much more forceful than me, so he's coming to fight my corner & get something done.

I've read stories of fluid being there for months & a couple of people have blown up so much that when the fluid finally did go they were stretched so much that the first tummy tuck was a waste of time.
I do hope this doesn't happen

Anyway i'm wittering again.

Keep you posted

oh crikey - i hadn't heard about those stories at all

Isn't it funny how surgeons are different - my compression garment just wrapped around my tummy so I didn't need to take off to go to the loo. I also had to keep my dressings dry for 2 weeks and wasn't allowed to shower for 2 weeks so my compression garment didn't leave my body for 1 week then it got taken off for the appt to change the dressings and went straight back on and stayed on constantly until the 2 weeks appt.

Surgeons are different with the drains as well - poppy had to have hers in for a week mine was less than 2 days

Hope you managed to get everything sorted today

I was given the velcro compression garment to wear but found it awkward to do up by myself when i took it off to have a shower, so i bought some tight control pants, the sort of thing my nan wears, they work just a well.

For the first week after the op i was kneeling in a few inches of water in the bath which was just enough to do the necessities, i went for my first appointment at the dressings clinic 9 days post op (7days from discharge) & it was then they said i could shower everyday if i wish, providing i made sure the wound i was allowed to dry properly afterwards.
I found using a hair dryer on low/cool settings was good.

As for the drains you are right all surgeons have different opinions.

I asked a ps yesterday if i would still have the same problems with the fluid if the drains had been left in longer, he said maybe but sometimes the drains are the cause of the problem as the body see's them as a foreign body & reacts to them being there.
He also said that in some private clinics in London some ps don't even put drains in, this is because they believe the body should be allowed to heal the body itself.

After they drained another large amount of fluid yesterday i feel alot better today, not as swollen & hopefully the fluid will not fill back up.

Going back to hospital on Monday for another check.

Hi Bubbles,

I have been following your story, i too am having a tt on the nhs, i went for my pre op assessment yesterday, I am slightly worried though as they have given me a provisional date of the 20th of april, and i am due to go on holiday on the 13th may to cyprus, not sure what to do........ ask for another date ( which i really don't want to do as this as been along time coming) or hope for the best, but after hearing of your nightmare with fluid build up, seems a really scary choice, what would you recommend?
I really hope you are feeling better soon
Kellie

I had my op on the 6th Jan with no complications, but i'm not sure i would have wanted to go on holiday after 4 weeks.

I'd discuss this with your surgeon as you may not have a quick recovery. Plus with dressing changes etc, you might not be able to fully enjoy your trip. No swimming, avoiding sand for risk of infection etc.

Maybe a later date would be more suitable?

Back