• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food supplements - *new data added*

Twiggie

Just going through my list of stuff I want to get in ready for when I get home post-op and wondered whether anyone has tried either of these...

Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe Vera Juice may help to maintain a healthy digestive tract and immune system. It also helps promote healthy skin and wound healing.

Casilan 90 Protein Powder - it's made by the same people who make Complan.
89% Protein.
Easily absorbed by the body.
No added salt, sugar, colouring, flavouring or preservatives.

Who uses Casilan 90?....
Body builders and weight lifters.
Strength and speed athletes.
People on high protein diets.
People on low carb diets.
People on vegetarian or gluten free diets.
Casilan is suitable if you are on the Atkins Diet.
People with severe weight loss/malnutrition.
People with liver disease, cancer patients, burns sufferers.

Last edited:
Hi Twiggie, they both sound ideal, don't they.. Especially the protein powder, i've been looking around and this one seems to have the most protein, is it expensive ? Tesco have Whey protein half price at the moment £20, not as high as the Casilan but still high..

You must be so excited as you've not got long now to wait, i'll be following you on your journey. I'll be at the Whittington Thursday week, will you still be there, d'you think ? Best wishes Jan

The powder can be bought from Boots, about £8 a box. I'm not sure how that compares with other protein powders but then you wouldn't need to use as much. I'm going to pick some up when I'm in town on Thursday so will let you know what it says on the box.

I should still be there on the Thursday as I'm having the op on Tuesday and will be staying in 3 nights. Pop up and say hello! :D

My advice is don't get anything in for post-op.

You will be told what supplements you need post-op - some hospitals prescribe protein supplements post-op.

Have you tried for any free samples?

Your tastes change post-op so what's nice now may be yuk then

Better to gat some milk powder in and add it to everything - though be aware some people develop some lactose intolerance post-op - can be transient or permanent

Good luck with your op

Angela x

Great post Twiggie, i'll be taking Angela's advice about the milk whilst remembering your protein powder xx

Thanks to both of you xx :)

I've already ordered the protein powder but to be honest I can't see why there should be a problem with it. I know lots of bypassers use protein powders and this one doesn't have any flavour so you can just add it to your food & drink.

I've heard some hospitals prescribe Fortimel but I can't stand the stuff!

Talking of milk, I've a feeling I am becoming lactose intolerant due to all the milk I've been drinking pre-op as my body just isn't use to it, and it would explain the pains and constant diarrhoea I've been having :eek:

My team dont recommend any suppliments except a daily multivit and mineral and a B12 injection every three months. They prefer you to get your protein from what you eat. I would recommend that you see what your team want you to do before buying anything.

Good luck!
x

My team dont recommend any suppliments except a daily multivit and mineral and a B12 injection every three months. They prefer you to get your protein from what you eat. I would recommend that you see what your team want you to do before buying anything.

Good luck!
x

Thanks x

I'm only thinking of using it for the first few weeks whilst on the liquid/sloppy diet as it's not as easy to get sufficient protein in those stages. Once I can eat 'proper' food again I'll get all I need from food as fortunately I like a very wide variety of protein rich food :)

Better to gat some milk powder in and add it to everything.......

I'm not sure this is such a good idea and not something I would do myself either. I've just checked the tin of milk powder I have in the cupboard for making bread & yoghurt and it contains a whopping 358kcals per 100g but even worse it is 52% sugar!!! :eek: ... and this is meant to be the healthier low-fat version!! :rolleyes:

Did your healthcare provider recommend you do this?

Yes it was - as a DS I need 100 gm protein a day - on an initial 2 week liquid 4 week sloppy diet it was a way of boosting protein. Loads of people do it to boost protein in foods

You only add a couple of teaspoons to soup or mash or yoghurt, fortify milk, scrambled eggs, porridge etc (anything it will dissolve in).

I expect those calorie and sugar amounts are for the powder unconstituted - you are meant to mix it with water. Milk is high in calories and sugar anyway. Have had a look and it is for the dry powder

I was also told NOT to calorie count - at about 18 months my sleeve would allow about 1250 calories daily - and the amount of sugar will depend whether one dumps or not - I do occasionally but can't work out what causes it :(

Its quality not quantity that matters in the early days

BTW the dietician Mr Dexter has is brilliant - she works for the NHS too - and he is one of the pioneers of WLS in the country

You can buy protein shots with 40+gm protein each but I can't remember for the life of me what they are called - BUT the body isn't able to absorb 40gm protein at a time - so I'm not sure how valuable they are - I hated the protein shakes and Nectar - and have never had protein problems

Didn't mean to make you cross

Angela

Didn't mean to make you cross

Angela

No Angela, you didn't make me cross at all and I'm sorry I made you think that. It's often difficult in written text to convey meaning, and you're not the first to misconstrue my intentions. I know I can often appear abrupt and offish when writing posts although that's certainly not my intention and I'm not like that at all in real life :)

Anyway, back to the milk powder... I was quite shocked at the high level of sugars in it, however I do take your point about only using a teaspoon or two at a time so would have much less and I'll be honest I was comparing 100g of powder against 100ml of milk :eek:

I've just done some comparison checks and it's actually very similar. I've compared like for like, 57g of powder made up to one pint compared with a pint of milk....and have now added in the data for the Casilan 90...

Milk powder...........v........Milk..........v......Casilan 90
Energy: 245kcals...............187kcals............116kcals
Protein: 9.0g.....................18.7g................28.4g
Carbs: 21.8g.....................25.0g................trace
Fat: ....27.0g.....................0.55g................0.2g

I'm not keen on those protein shots or shakes either. My son uses them occasionally when he's in training all day and playing matches in the evening. He also uses the isotonic & hypotonic drinks which I quite like too, they're very low in carb/sugars and a great way to rehydrate if you're not drinking enough fluids ;)

I apologise again for my silly mistake, shouldn't post before I've had coffee and got my brain in gear :D

Twigs xx

Last edited:
Glad I didn't make you cross - I think sometimes I come over badly in posts - I've put one on here today about my legs spreading :eek: I knew what I meant.

The milk powder is purely to boost in the early days - I drink lots of milk breakfast and supper and a milky coffee during the day (not posh enough to be called latte lol) just for the protein - the sugars in the form of lactose and galactose are easily broken down and absorbed by the body despite the maladsorption of the WLS - the body has to have some form of sugar doesn't it?

I worried myself to death that I would make myself ill in the early days by not getting enough good stuff in - but I survived and lived to tell the tale (and make stupid comments on forums :8855:)

You'll be fine - you seem very aware of what your body will need

Love Angela xx

I've updated my previous post with nutritional data for the Capsilan 90. As you can see it comes out much more favourably than either milk or milk powder, having a much higher protein and virtually no carb/fat content.

It's certainly not cheap at £8 a box, especially compared to skimmed milk powder but if only used during the first couple of weeks whilst on a liquid diet the benefits would be worth it.

I've also checked up on the Aloe Vera juice and it's absolutely fine to take post-op. It doesn't taste particularly pleasant on it's own so I'm mixing it into my Ribena ;)

Back