• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

FOR NEWBIES :)

salski

Hello all - old and new!
I thought we could start a thread to give tips for people new to the site and or new to the idea of weight loss surgery.

Please post hints, tips and details of your journey and hopefully with it all in one place, it might become a good thread for newbies.

Sally

My biggest hint/tip is:
Everyone is different! Waiting times and referrals, funding and weight loss is different for everyone, so read posts and stories with this in your head. Dont think just as he was bypassed within 6 months means you will be, or she had 6ml in a 12ml band will be the same for you!

Also the best advice I was given was SIP SIP SIP all day long post op! You must keep your fluids up and it really helps with your weight loss and recovery!

Great idea Sally - Hard to always come up with something immediately, but what I will say is:

Never give up!!!! Try not to worry when you hit a stall - because it happens to us all!
Keep plodding away at it, maybe change the way your eating; vary your diet as well as your excercise. Don`t let your body get bored with the same old same old............but change your habits fairly frequently, this helps with your weight loss, be aware of how much and what you consume and eat slowly and enjoy it! And.........Don`t panic - its not a race!

Love Kat x

My number one tip is: Dont compare! We are all different and it is so disheartening when you read that someone is loosing more than you or loosing faster than you. So and so never stalls etc etc etc......your weightloss journey is yours alone. Our bodies are all different so will loose or put on weight at different speeds. (Hopefully this tip will stop you stomping your feet like a 3 year old having a tantrum every time you weight yourself and havnt lost any weight :D Not that I would do that :eek:) XX

My tip would be - Follow your providers guidelines xxx

mine is:- make sure you chew everything thoroughly, and only put small amounts in your mouth, not only will this slow your eating down, it will stop food getting stuck in your pouch.

This is something I am going to really work on Dawn cos I barely chew my food sometimes then swallow it.I know I will have problems otherwise.

maz, are you practising it now, cos it might be a good idea to. if you start by only putting small amounts in your mouth, if you dont chew it enough, theres less chance of it getting stuck. by the time you have your op, it will be habit to only put a little bit in your mouth at a time. big huhs xxxx

My pre-op tip is learn to listen to your stomach now, take time to eat and stop when you feel just full. Learn it is ok to leave food on your plate.

Also, use the time to learn all you can about post op, the emotional and psychological aspects particularly.

Lastly, look at your eating triggers, and try to put tools into place now to prevent them. For me it was evening picking, so I started knitting while watching telly. Foody fingers and wool don't mix! I knitted for charities, just simple things, so I got a feel good factor from it too, and it kept my hands and brain occupied.

Hello all - old and new!
I thought we could start a thread to give tips for people new to the site and or new to the idea of weight loss surgery.

Please post hints, tips and details of your journey and hopefully with it all in one place, it might become a good thread for newbies.

Sally

:wave_cry:Just want to say this is a great idea for a thread...thanks for starting it Sal:)

I will pop back later when hopefully I'll have thought of some useful tips/ideas:wave_cry:

But I would say to all the lurkers please join in & get posting "sooner rather than later"....if nothing else you'll be able to read the Bronze diaries & Private chitchatx

This is a great idea for a thread, having not had my surgery yet i'm not sure i have anything really useful to add but this: If you havent approached your GP about WLS and like me you are terrified to make the appointment and worry that once there you will not have chance to say half of the things you need to and worse still you worry you will just be sent away with yet another referal to weight watchers, write to your GP and then make an appointment. i wrote a quite lengthy letter to my GP telling her about my life long battle with my weight, i told her about how it effects every aspect of my life from my self esteem to my marriage to my physical health - you all know what im talking about here but most of this stuff you would be either too embarrased to say or would just forget.
Anyway it worked for me, when i went to see my GP i posted my letter (which had been written and re written about four times, then sat in my hand bag for two weeks) on the friday and called the same day to make an appointment for the following Tuesday, i barely spoke a word, she thanked me for my letter, and told me she would be happy to refer me. PPhhew.

Great posts and ideas guys! Keep em coming ;)

My top tips-
be patient in the wait for surgery. It can take a long old time, but instead of stamping your feet and saying, "I want it NOW!" use the time to look at your eating habits and try to make some changes. For instance, try to cut out sugar in your diet, focus more on protein. Have a go at cutting down on fizzy drinks. All things which will help you in the post-op life.

For post-op: Buy yourself a toddler or child-size knife and fork and some small bowls (Chinese soup bowl style). Using smaller utensils really helps with portion control. I find that if my food is on a bigger plate, I put too much on and then try to eat it all.

Try to get used to chewing your food to mush. Even count how many chews in your head before swallowing!

My tip would be, remember wls is just a tool. The weight won't drop off over night. If you don't work at it, exercise and eat right it won't make much difference. Also drink drink drink water is your best friend. So are your vitamins.

Come on guys - more hints and tips for newbies....

I see lots have already put tips about chewing and eating slower. I actually prefer to put a large mouthful and chew thoroughly but letting a little go down at a time. It's easier to control the amounts that go down with a larger mouthful and it's easier to chew more if there is more in there. I find the smaller the amount the less I chew and the quicker it goes down, which could lead to that dreaded reflux!!!

I also swear by using a side plate, as soon as food is on a bigger plate it's so much harder to control the amount your eating.

Little and often, if I feel hungry in between I have the muller MINI Rice pots they are a perfect size and sustain you for a long while.

Good luck everyone :)

what a brilliant thread. i'm sure there will be more great tips and advice, but great so far. 'food for thought' so to speak :8855:

Trying to keep this thread as high as possible - and to post oppers - please help out the new guys with your hints and tips! ;)

Thanks for the tips and please keep them going for us newbies .... :)

Nicky xx

Back