• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding and the Tiers

Wilsnip

Hello All
I thought this might be useful for some. I know about this for my job, I know this is the status for the South of England, but not sure about the rest of the country but the basic principals are the same.
To qualify you need to follow these rules:
be BMI of 40 or more or 35-40 with co-morbidities these could include diabetes, sleep apnoea, orthopaedic issues, high blood pressure (there are others but this depends on the area.

A patient must have attempted the following:
Tier 1 - intervention by the patient, dietary changes, exercise
Tier 2 - GP intervention with drugs, dietary advice, weigh in clinic
Tier 3 - this is commissioned by either your local authority (public health) or your local CCG. I know in some areas the Tier 3 doesnt exist and this makes it difficult as the commissioner of Tier 4 is NHS England and their policy states the patient must have done Tier 3. It can last for 6-12 months, and this again is dependant on area. tier 3 usually exists of a person to provide you support, guidance on portion control and weigh you, psychological support, exercise guidance
Tier 4 - Bariatric surgery from an NHS provider.

Bariatric surgery is commissioned by NHS England, but usually only when the bits above have been followed. For those with a BMI 50+ the Tier 3 can be shortened.

The reason for the Tier 3 is that in the past lots of people have had bariatric surgery and not learnt the lessons of a healthy diet, portion control, or have had psychological issues which needed to be sorted out. I know some hopsitals had this in place but not all, hence they introduced this. However this puts in place difficulties now as not everyone has access to Tier 3 and I think some hospitals are trying to sort out their own as they are fed up of waiting for local authorities to sort it out.

Again it depends on the area you live in, but basically if your GP is stating that they dont know what to do ask them to contact NHS England who fund the surgery for advice. I think someone else on here as put the link to the policy that covers it.

Hi Aud

its going fine just waiting not very patiently but waiting lol.

Hows your healthy eating going?

Could be better if I'm honest. I'm hoping it gets easier when I go back to work. I need to drink more water, less wine and be much more organised...that's the plan anyway! Haha xx

I know where your coming from Aud, I don't drink much water either plenty of coffee but no plain water.

Thank you so much, that's very informative. I've just been told by st Mary's hospital that my Gp needs to apply for funding and I have no idea what to do! He said he sent them a referral letter and that should be enough. I'm gonna suggest he contacts NHS England.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thank you so much, that's very informative. I've just been told by st Mary's hospital that my Gp needs to apply for funding and I have no idea what to do! He said he sent them a referral letter and that should be enough. I'm gonna suggest he contacts NHS England. Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

St Mary's in Paddington, London? They are self funding. My gp didn't need to do anything other than write to the hospital and the hospital took over xx

St Mary's in Paddington, London? They are self funding. My gp didn't need to do anything other than write to the hospital and the hospital took over xx Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Helen, well I just spoke to a nurse who said I will need to find out from my Gp. Apparently some regulations changed in April. I'm gutted to say the least because I've already seen the psychologist and just waiting for a date.

Btw you look so different, you must've lost so much weight.

Our council do something called dietbusters which is a 12 week course. The first week is an introduction to the course and you get weighed and measured. The next 10 weeks we did 45 minutes of teaching about food relating to a particular group of foods each week. After that we would talk about feelings around food. We would then do 45 minutes of exercise. The final week was weighing in and measuring. I was the first person ever to have put on weight on it! I was gutted. I did learn some things about portion control and why I feel I have to finish what's on my plate. Would that be classed as Tier 3?

Debbie

Hi Helen, well I just spoke to a nurse who said I will need to find out from my Gp. Apparently some regulations changed in April. I'm gutted to say the least because I've already seen the psychologist and just waiting for a date. Btw you look so different, you must've lost so much weight. Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thank you!!

My case at MDT in July. Not sure what's happened since then... Good luck! xx

Back