• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones

lynsey2510

Hi everyone, quick question please. I went to see my GP a few weeks ago who said he would refer me for the bypass to the PCT, I got a call to say go see him today, so ive been and he said they have come back to him to say I will need confirmation if I have gallstone before they go ahead with WLS. I had told the GP I think I have gallstones when I originally went to see him. So I now have to go for an ultrasound to confirm but I really do think I have them, so will I be able to have gallstones dealt with the same time as the bypass or will I have to have 2 operations? :confused:

They often remove gall baldder at the same time as a bypass so you don't need more surgery later. But it will depend on the surgeon. I had mine out 10 years ago so didn't affect me. x x

if you have gall stone problems most surgeons will remove the gall bladder at the same time - otherwise most surgeons now leave the gall bladder in place as more people had side effects form the gall bladder removal that the bypass itself.

I should have had mine out at the same time as my bypass but had a few issues with my spleen during the op so they wouldn't take it out and I think I will have to have it removed at some point in the future.

Hi there

I have gall stones too and part of my original referral was for both to be done at the same time. However my surgeon prefers to do them seperately, he would rather not double the amount of time someone is under anaesthetic in one go as this can cause complications particularly with overweight people.

He also prefers to do one at a time so that should there be any complications after surgery it is easier to work out what is wrong.
Lastly he feels that it is better to get some of the weight off before 'knocking' you out again.

It's what the surgeon who is doing the op feels comfortable with really. I would have preferred them to do both at same time but can see why my surgeon prefers not to and trust his judgement.

Hello

my friend had her gallbladder removed prior to her op and same as above didnt want to extended table time.

All the best -mejulie x x

Think its like everyone says...depends on your own surgeon.

When I have my bypass in a couple of week the surgeon said he will be removing my gallbladder at the same time x

Back