• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass op!?

Hiya, everyone

I am at the doctors tonight, to ask about this procedure, hes a stick in the mud, so hes probably gonna say NO!

My bmi is over 50!
I have underactive thyroid
My mum and maternal grandmother died befor aged 40
Im out of breath walking upstairs
/got very low self esteem
Tried every diet under the sun!

Do i fit the criteria???

please help me im desperate xxx

There are a couple of members on here who have had WLS so I'm sure they'll be along soon to help you out on this one.

I think the main problem is trying to get it funded by the NHS (who are tighter than a crab's behind when it comes to helping combat obesity): Most people seem to have to resort to going privately. :mad:
It's also very much a 'post-code lottery'.

Hope you get the answers and help you need.

Hi YummyMummy,

Good luck with your meeting with your doctor tonight! I hope all goes well.

Here is some information, I hope it helps.

Obesity surgery patient selection

Surgeons undertaking weight loss surgery understand the importance of selecting patients who are likely to benefit most from it. The following criteria have been set by the UK government health advisory body, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE), to aid patient selection. It is unlikely that you will find a UK bariatric surgeon who is willing to perform an operation, even privately, on you if you don't meet these criteria:
  • BMI over 40 kg/m², or BMI over 35kg/m² and patient also has an obesity–related disease
  • Aged 18 or over (some centres set an upper age limit of 60)
  • The patient has tried other weight loss treatments without permanent success
  • There is no specific metabolic or psychological reason for the obesity
  • The patient has sufficient understanding of the procedure and the changes it will produce
  • The patient is strongly motivated to undergo the procedure and lifestyle changes it will entail

Source: BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Love Mini xxx

Hi Yummy Mummy,
I believe that having a bmi of over 50 is the only criteria necessary (i was told that by my doctor it may be different for you) If not a bmi of over 35 and co-morbidities such as asthma depression sleep apnoea and some i have probably forgotten.

I had a bmi of 45 and went privately as i was told to gain weight and be prepared to wait up to 5 yrs i just couldnt wait that long. I had my gastric bypass 26th oct 07 and up to now have lost 5stone 3lbs including 1 stone pre op. I feel like i have another shot at life and feel normal again .

Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you got on !
Luv Julie xxx

He said YES, I cant believe it!!!

He wasnt going to, said nhs wouldnt do it, so explained my best mate had it done last april and so i know they would.....he typed into pc and gave me a referral date for 20th feb 08@2pm

How chuffed am I?

Congratulations! I hope it all works out the way you want it to :)

Fingers crossed.......

08@2pm[/email][/color]

How chuffed am I?[/b]

Delighted for you!!!

Congratulations!!!

Love Mini xxx

i am pleased for you but it will be a long haul ...............xx

good luck!! i would prepare you body now by eating healthy so that you can have a speedy recovery. You want to be in top shape for surgery...hope it goes according to plan :)

Brilliant news for you x

My BMI was higher than yours when I started on the Cambridge diet.

It is now just over 36 and falling every week.

By the time you get the appointment through for any op you will be at goal wieight anyway!

Hi YummyMummy,

Good luck with your meeting with your doctor tonight! I hope all goes well.

Here is some information, I hope it helps.

Source: BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Love Mini xxx

My god I am just reading that list, my doc suggested surgery to me. I am under 40BMI, I do not have obesity related illness.
My eating is physcological.
I have not tried other methods
At the time I had little motivation.

I hope he was only trying to threaten me and wasn't sincere about it. I have since changed doctors because of his bedside manner - but still.

Hiya, just wanted to wish you luck for your appt. I had my consultation on 13 feb but am undecided still. Have to choose between bypass and band.

i had my gastric bypass 3 weeks ago!!! you wont have probs at the hospital! my bmi was 45, i just had to show them i was aware of what i was doing and that i was doing it for the right reasons and that i was prepared to change the way i live my life.
if you want to ask any questions about it all please feel free... its all very recent for me and id be pleased to help in any way!!!!
Dx

Back