• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GERD - Ok, reflux for the non-medical-talk people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ sorry to hear what you went through, but just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it will happen to everyone.

I'm sure there are people who've had horror stories about bypasses and sleeves as well.

Good luck with your next op, I hope this time it's all OK.

^ that's misleading and downright unhelpful. You do not "know what you're talking about" because you had a band 11 years ago. Surgery has almost certainly improved a lot since then, and more is being learnt about bands all the time. So in fact you probably know less.

To say "I'm sure you will all have problems" is rather spiteful, and not even true. It's unfair to new banders as well who have pinned their hopes on this surgery.

You had a bad experience, not everyone does and THAT is a fact.

Also, no bands in Hull? Funny, looks as though you can still get gastric bands on the NHS here:

Hull CCG : Untitled

Bander bird, while I do understand where you are coming from I suspect you're very quick to jump to the bands defense. People can have issues with any surgery and complications post op. That doesn't mean that you can dismiss someone else's experience - the reality is there are many bandsters who are successful with no issues, but as with the other wls when it goes wrong it can and does ruin lives. Vamp is understandably very anti and given what she has been through and I suspect she is just trying to give support to avoid others going through what she did. You can disagree but I dot think she is being misleading or unhelpful. She's just not saying what you want to hear.

If you read my first reply to her I was supportive of what she went through, and gently suggested that just because hers went wrong, not everyone's would - but she then decided to jump down my throat.

I feel her post is very unhelpful and I'm entitled to say so. What would you say if one bypasser who'd had problems just went into that section to tell everyone their surgery would go wrong?

How is that supportive? All she's said to someone is to get their band removed. Yeah, very helpful.

I accept bands go wrong, I never said they didn't, but to tell every single bander on the forum that theirs will fail is pretty nasty. And wrong.

In my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I do see your side of it. Personally failure second quite emotive and ultimately each situation is different. I just think we all need to be aware of the not so rosy side. Agree telling someone to get the band removed as a first resort was not helpful.

St Mary's also told me they no longer fund/do Gastric Bands when I was choosing the surgery that's right for me and they are also anti band in the seminars and when talking to them. Stating the longer term - 5 year plus - complications if a band are higher than a sleeve/bypass.

However, they still give out leaflets on the band.

Bares no real insight to the topic, but I think all providers have to show all surgeries no matter their opinion, Although my surgeon refuses to perform band ops, as ultimately it's an individual choice.

I think it's a topic many of us will be divided over. Nonetheless, we are all in the same weight loss boat and the health of a person overrides which surgery is best.

If you're having complications and don't have aftercare anymore, contact a reputable company to get a consultation/advise. Or if possible see if your gp can refer you to a Bariatric clinic via the NHS and hopefully the issue will get sorted xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

i do agree that it's unhelpful to tell people they're going to go through complications in such a sinister and foreboding way as well as being adamant that your experience is going to reflect everyone else's. my mom has had both the band and the bypass and she says by far her biggest, BIGGEST regret is getting the band reversed (which is the same opinion of her friend who also did the same thing). she can eat every and anything with the bypass and has not lost any weight since the band. it's different strokes for different folks depending on everything to do with the person themselves. look at some of the people on this website who have had fantastic success with the band but then look to the people who have had no success with the sleeve and vice versa. it's all completely subjective. don't damn another person's journey because of your own. it's unfair, unhelpful and pretty rude.

Since when did Bookies issues become all about someone else?

I'm pretty sure in posting this Bookie was looking for help/advice not to be told pretty much what do you expect.

Please keep replies supportive, there really is no need for the doom and gloom to be spread onto every thread where a bander asks for support.

If people want to tell their tale, start your own thread. If you feel the need to voice your opinion - again start your own thread.

If you can't think of something supportive to add, move on. This really needs to stop.

No you are not getting kicked off the site, you just need to realise that your posts are upsetting people.

Whilst we all appreciate you have had a rough time with your band, constantly telling people they will too is almost like wishing it upon them.

I'm sure this is not your intention but please, please be supportive and in return we can all be too.

Sorry your thread got hijacked Bookie.

I will close this thread and move your posts, plus the on topic ones to a new thread.

Please let us know how you are getting on, hopefully you are feeling better now xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back