• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got a call today!!!!

farzu

Hi all,
I got a call today from one of the private clinics who wants me to go for bands not bypass. I told them my BMI is more than 40 and i meet the NICE criteria but they didn't agree with me. they told me bypass is for severely obese and very dangerous op. I told them i have diabetes and high blood pressure but they some how are stuck with bands and wanted to convince me to do it asap. I am confused now. Which one is better bands or bypass? I don't want to go for bands as i am scared of it not working properly and for the aftercares. Please advice.

ok with a band you do not have such a high rate or reduction in co-mobidities which diabetes and high blood pressure are. yes the bypass is carries more dangers with it, but if you look after yourself and follow your surgeons advide then you are perfectly ok. Not everyone has complications from it.

However with a bypass you stand a very high chance of your diabetes disappearing as it is managed by the eating plan a bypasser has to follow. I am not an expert on diabetes as i do not have this perhaps someone else can offer more insight for you, i do have high blood pressure and am 4 months post op, it has never been as low as it is now and i am watching it carefully in case my medication needs reducing. Others have also had theirs reduced as a result of the bypass

More importantly - what are your eating habits?

Are you a volume eater, with no portion control or a sweet toothed eater? For the volume eater, sometimes a band works best but if you have a really sweet tooth, the side effects of a bypass, dumping (nausea) can be effective in keeping that in check.

Both operations will reduce your volumes, both operations will allow you to cheat if you really wanted too, both operations carry risks, both operations can reduce co morbities.

My cholestorol has gone from 7.9 to 4.2 within 7 months, my blood pressure is normal and my diabetic HBA1c level is now at 4.9% from 7.1%.

The main difference is, bypass alters your physical anatomy and is a longer operation with a few more risks, sometimes a longer recovery but will give you very rapid weightloss in the first year and you will need to be ultra careful of your nutrition and most people need some kind of supplement. One advantage is, there is no need for adjustments like there is with the band.

The band, only slightly alters your physical anatomy, has a qucker recovery usually, the weightloss at first is slower, as this is helped by adjusting the band (fills) and can take a few attempts at getting restriction. A bander has to exercise more willpower to make the tool work but results can be good if you do.

Over the longer term, the weight results seem to balance out a little but there is no hard and fast evidence.

A band will need a lifetime of aftercare and adjusting to keep to its maximum performance and will at some point within 10-20 years need replacing if you aim to keep it in for life. Privately, fills will cost between £80 up to £250 with an xray.

Ultimately the decision is YOURS to make, not the provider, especially if you are paying. You have to weigh up which journey you want to take. For some the bypass is a simpler, faster way to get the results but for others they like the band. That is entirely an individual choice.

Do not be pressured either way, do more research, read more of people's personal journies on here and think long and hard about what is right for you.:);)

Excellent post, Caz. I was concerned about the pressure Farzu seems to be being put under by her provider. To them, it's money in the bank but ultimately it is Farzu's body and she who will have to manage the physical and psychological consequences.

Hi Farzu,
The advice above is excellent, but if you are going private and paying for this Op yourself and You really want the Bypass, Then you should go for Bypass, My BMi was Lower than your and I had a bypass, and Also, I don't like the sound of them pushing you for a band ASAP That doesn't sound right to me. This is something you really need to think about long and hard and not be rushed into.
Have you tried Weight Loss Clinic UK - Obesity Surgery, Gastric Band Surgery & Weight Loss Programmes (Programs) - Healthier Weight have a good look around here and give them a call, This is were I went In Manchester and my sugeon was Mr Amorri, who is very well known.
They are a great team and don't push you into anything.
At the end of the day only you can make the right decision.
Good luck.

Sounds to me like theyre pushing u for the band so that they can get the extra money from u for the years of after care ie fills etc.

But anyway. If you feel the bypass is right for u, go by ur instincts or u will regret it. Bypass will more or less cure ur diabetes, band wont.

Big decision, but when u finally make ur mind up u will know its the right one. Good luck x

Thankyou very very much to all of you for supporting me and giving me those important advices. I am really grateful that i found this forum. I have already read about both and felt that bypass will be the best for me but I will research more.

Back