• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had revision due to bile reflux...

JOHNG79

Hi guys,

As title suggests, has anyone had their bypass moved lower to alleviate bile reflux which has occurred post op?

If so, what was the outcome?

Over a year post op here and the stinking bile taste is really grinding my gears not to mention wrecking my throat etc.

Had ogd confirming oesophagitis despite strong PPIs for acid reflux, barium swallow, 24hr ph monitorring, and oesophageal manometry last week.

Whilst keyhole seems great way to do surgeries, not really helpful with surgeons effectively guessing the length of roux limb which appears to be causing bile to be redirected to stomach pouch, well in my instance anyway

Nearly there-1

Hi, I had my Sleeve revised to a By-Pass due to Bile reflux. I was concerned that the limb not be too short as I had read that it can be a cause of that type of reflux.
I was assured that the surgeon would measure very carefully to ensure that did not happen. I am also underweight now and he did not want further weight loss to happen.
I also read that the new single limb By-Pass has caused an increase in Bile reflux occurring so it's clearly a skill in getting it right.
I hope you can get some relief from the awful reflux and that your surgeon can work out what's best for your body.
Are you able to talk it through with the surgeon you used and is he open to doing something to remedy this awful problem.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

JOHNG79

Hi, I had my Sleeve revised to a By-Pass due to Bile reflux. I was concerned that the limb not be too short as I had read that it can be a cause of that type of reflux.
I was assured that the surgeon would measure very carefully to ensure that did not happen. I am also underweight now and he did not want further weight loss to happen.
I also read that the new single limb By-Pass has caused an increase in Bile reflux occurring so it's clearly a skill in getting it right.
I hope you can get some relief from the awful reflux and that your surgeon can work out what's best for your body.
Are you able to talk it through with the surgeon you used and is he open to doing something to remedy this awful problem.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
Surgeon mentioned potential fundoplication, linx surgery, or limb lengthening (obviously as you rightly say this can restart the weight loss). From what iv read, fundoplication isnt great option after bypass as you struggle with bloating/wind/inability to vomit etc, linx does not have much medical data. My initial reaction to surgeon when he mentioned revision as last resort, was id rather reverse the whole thing than start again.

How has your bile been following your bypass?

Nearly there-1

Hi, the options are not great are they. I am a little better with the Bile Reflux but still have problems with reflux. I sleep upright and am very careful not to eat or drink last thing. I have had problems since the first operation and they unfortunately have not resolved. I have had several episodes of being fed through a tube to maintain my weight.
I am still suffering from discomfort every time I eat and drink and have been referred to a Pain Management team to try to improve this. It has also caused my Mental Health to deteriorate following the multiple interventions.
I don't regret my decision to have the operation but the past three years have been difficult. It's hard to talk about it when everyone is so positive and have done so well. I would not like to influence others about having this procedure as my experience is not the norm. But it does mean you have to make sure you have looked at all the facts and make the best decision for the individual.
I hope the surgeon can do something that will make your situation better and that whatever you decide has a positive effect on your problems.
Please come on here for support and a chance to say honestly how you feel.
Good luck.

JOHNG79

Hi, the options are not great are they. I am a little better with the Bile Reflux but still have problems with reflux. I sleep upright and am very careful not to eat or drink last thing. I have had problems since the first operation and they unfortunately have not resolved. I have had several episodes of being fed through a tube to maintain my weight.
I am still suffering from discomfort every time I eat and drink and have been referred to a Pain Management team to try to improve this. It has also caused my Mental Health to deteriorate following the multiple interventions.
I don't regret my decision to have the operation but the past three years have been difficult. It's hard to talk about it when everyone is so positive and have done so well. I would not like to influence others about having this procedure as my experience is not the norm. But it does mean you have to make sure you have looked at all the facts and make the best decision for the individual.
I hope the surgeon can do something that will make your situation better and that whatever you decide has a positive effect on your problems.
Please come on here for support and a chance to say honestly how you feel.
Good luck.
Wow you have been through the wars. From weight loss point of view i am brilliant but the reflux and tiredness is tough. Reduced cals obviously causing tirednesst so really its purely reflux issue to resolve. No NHS bariatric services here in NI so docs are useless in helping it. One drug my surgeon suggested was sucralfate but NHS here wont prescribe it grrrr

Nearly there-1

It's tough you have not got the support you need in NI. It took 3 years to get a diagnosis of Bile reflux and the Lansoprazole did not touch it.
I am glad the weights good and you need to press the NHS to look at your problem and try to find the best thing for you to be well.
You have worked hard to get where you are and deserve to enjoy the benefits of your weight loss surgery especially as you funded your own surgery.
Good luck and don't give up on getting a satisfactory conclusion to your current problems.

JOHNG79

Well spoke to surgeon. Only took 2.5mths after tests who confirmed he believes its bile. Needs to speak to another gastro consultant as to whether to try some type of meds, or if he needs to revise bypass. So far iv been given 3 diff lengths of the limb. Initial letter to gp post op said 75cm, most recent letter before christmas said at least 60cm by memory, and i was told verbally last week 1.5m - 2m.

Losing will to live. Didnt have this pre op. Throat constantly feels scorched. No way to live this. Wish i hadnt bothered with op as frankly its not been worth the complications or strain on my mental health.

Bling Babe

Well spoke to surgeon. Only took 2.5mths after tests who confirmed he believes its bile. Needs to speak to another gastro consultant as to whether to try some type of meds, or if he needs to revise bypass. So far iv been given 3 diff lengths of the limb. Initial letter to gp post op said 75cm, most recent letter before christmas said at least 60cm by memory, and i was told verbally last week 1.5m - 2m.

Losing will to live. Didnt have this pre op. Throat constantly feels scorched. No way to live this. Wish i hadnt bothered with op as frankly its not been worth the complications or strain on my mental health.
Aw John I’m so sorry you are suffering like this, I wish I had answers but can only offer my thoughts, please try to keep your chin up, this is such a sad story x