• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone tried these protein shakes? Are they safe to take i.e. Don't cause dumping

Want2b3

I got them from home bargains not sure if ok in liquid or any stage? 3.4g sugar and 8.4g protein per 100mls.

Can someone recommend any protein drinks please. IMG_1434.JPG

Hannah2

It is hard to say as everybody reacts differently! As a bypasser I was told to limit refined sugar to 5g per meal - I think the bottle you show is 3.4g per 100ml and I suspect the bottle is 330ml? so the full bottle would be too much for me - but you could have it in 3 small glasses through the day. However, as a sleever, this might be ok for you.

In honesty I have not pushed the sugar limit, so I don't know what my limits are as I have not yet dumped! About 6g of sugar is the most I have knowingly had in a mini custard pot, but I haven't tried anything more than that. It might be that 6.5g is enough to push me over to dump, but I don't yet know......... and I am not sure I want to find out yet!

There are protein drinks/powders with more sweetener in so less sugar, but I find them very very overly artificial sweet tasting so cannot stomach them since my op - there are also unflavoured powders to mix with smoothies/shakes or yogurt. I don't know about premade drinks in bottles though, most of them I have looked at have much more sugar in them!

Want2b3

It is hard to say as everybody reacts differently! As a bypasser I was told to limit refined sugar to 5g per meal - I think the bottle you show is 3.4g per 100ml and I suspect the bottle is 330ml? so the full bottle would be too much for me - but you could have it in 3 small glasses through the day. However, as a sleever, this might be ok for you.

In honesty I have not pushed the sugar limit, so I don't know what my limits are as I have not yet dumped! About 6g of sugar is the most I have knowingly had in a mini custard pot, but I haven't tried anything more than that. It might be that 6.5g is enough to push me over to dump, but I don't yet know......... and I am not sure I want to find out yet!

There are protein drinks/powders with more sweetener in so less sugar, but I find them very very overly artificial sweet tasting so cannot stomach them since my op - there are also unflavoured powders to mix with smoothies/shakes or yogurt. I don't know about premade drinks in bottles though, most of them I have looked at have much more sugar in them!
Thanks Hannah2 for that information. I might break it up and have with marvel over 2 days. Try it heated as a hot choc!

Could I use plain protein powder and mix into drinks?

Hannah2

You could put unflavoured into drinks but not sure it would taste nice! Also be careful, some protein powders can't be heated so you wouldn't be able to put them in hot drinks - not sure you can heat those bottled drinks. I have unflavoured from proteinworks which doesn't have sweetener in it but it does have quite a strong flavour, to me anyway.

SAM55

I have heated chocolate protein drinks to warm and hot and they are yummy and it was easier to swallow than cold in first couple of weeks. I wouldn't add protein powder to them a they are quite thick anyway. I have also found that whey protein powder can go lumpy when added to drinks or food if not mixed properly. Any other protein powder IMO such as pea and rice taste disgusting, although may be ok in savoury dishes later on. Marvel is just as good I think, and cheaper!

I haven't tried the make you have shown but have had Ufit and Upbeat which i got from Tesco. (you can look on their grocery website without having to log in to look at the nutritional content of foods). As a sleever I have had no dumping, although I know it isn't unknown.

Want2b3

You could put unflavoured into drinks but not sure it would taste nice! Also be careful, some protein powders can't be heated so you wouldn't be able to put them in hot drinks - not sure you can heat those bottled drinks. I have unflavoured from proteinworks which doesn't have sweetener in it but it does have quite a strong flavour, to me anyway.
Ah I didn't know this that's why it is good good to come and ask here thanks Hannah2
I have heated chocolate protein drinks to warm and hot and they are yummy and it was easier to swallow than cold in first couple of weeks. I wouldn't add protein powder to them a they are quite thick anyway. I have also found that whey protein powder can go lumpy when added to drinks or food if not mixed properly. Any other protein powder IMO such as pea and rice taste disgusting, although may be ok in savoury dishes later on. Marvel is just as good I think, and cheaper!

I haven't tried the make you have shown but have had Ufit and Upbeat which i got from Tesco. (you can look on their grocery website without having to log in to look at the nutritional content of foods). As a sleever I have had no dumping, although I know it isn't unknown.
in Ufit and Upbeat I can't get out to Tescos yet as need car and can't drive yet as still in some pain and one wound didn't heal fully so yes will look online for values. Cheers Sam55

Probably best to spread out over a couple of days as the sugar will be too high for one meal xx
Now I know starryeyed the sugar is too high I will avoid as I hope I never experience dumping sounds scary:eek:

Bear

Although I'm a sleever, I do still dump a little bit on odd things. But I love the upbeat shakes. Especially when they're reduced to a £1. They definitely don't have a dumping effect on me. Guess it's all trial and error.

FeeBee

Although I'm a sleever, I do still dump a little bit on odd things. But I love the upbeat shakes. Especially when they're reduced to a £1. They definitely don't have a dumping effect on me. Guess it's all trial and error.
They taste better when they're on offer ;)

Want2b3

Thank you your replies. Sadly I have to give protein drinks a Miss for a while due to a milk intolerance going on ATM.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Look out for ones that have naturally occuring sugar from fruit, such as the ones mentioned above as some are fruit flavoured, or no added sugar ones. They have 22g of protein in them and they're pretty nice too.

You won't be able to manage much for the first week or so and you're tastes may change.

I do dump on random things so personally I wouldn't bother stocking up on them in case they don't agree with you or you don't like them x

Want2b3

Look out for ones that have naturally occuring sugar from fruit, such as the ones mentioned above as some are fruit flavoured, or no added sugar ones. They have 22g of protein in them and they're pretty nice too.

You won't be able to manage much for the first week or so and you're tastes may change.

I do dump on random things so personally I wouldn't bother stocking up on them in case they don't agree with you or you don't like them x
Thanks Mazda sadly they have whey in them which is milk.

Want2b3

Dump autocorrect lol @Mazza