• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi me again...questions.UPDATE

saraian24

Prawns pittas rule!!!
Well my surgery is offically sucky and wont help me because my bmi isnt high enough- i was treated like a moron and im disgusted and upset.

Whick leaves me one option, paying privately. I cant afford it too pay in one lump sum but i could do monthy depending on how much.

Does anyone pay monthly and make it affordable?

I spoke to my husband last night about how i have been feelling and he agrees with me and said hes sick of seeing me struggle with dieiting all the time etc. He wants me to enquire about going private. I have done already though to the hopitsl group and waiting for a brochere.

Help!

Last edited:
I went private, talk to you bank and other bank,s avoid brokers you will be surprised. Mine is an unsecured loan and i got the full amount. work out what you can reasonably afford to pay each month and approach them. If you have a loan outstanding ect you could consolidate to cover the cost of the WLS and the outstanding amount.

sorry to hear your doctor wasnt sympathetic hun. Your bmi IS high enough according to the NICE guidelines and if you felt strong enough to tackle him again you could take a copy of those with you.

If you can afford to go private though, and your husband is supportive it would be a lot less stressful than jumping through all the NHS hoops. Cant offer advice about who to go with, or who offers finance, but your bank might be a good place to start looking at loan rates as you can possibly spread the payments over whatever period is needed to make them affordable for you.

When I went to see Dr at the nuffield (couple of years ago) they were doing interest free credit so shop around

sorry to hear that hun, there are quite a few private people on here they'll offer their knowledge i'm sure. x

hi sorry to feel the gp has made you feel that way, try a diff gp in your practice or change gp' s altogether, the 1st gp i seen also said no way to me but i stood my ground and seen every gp in the practice until i found one that took me seriously, id go back and see someone else as alot of gp's are anti wls and ones opinion isnt the same as the next, your bmi is high enough stand your ground as your entitled to this on the nhs. i stood my ground and i was banded nhs.

good luck

liz x

Im worried though i wont get the finance in the current climate as i have poor credit rating from my teenage days. :(

Im worried though i wont get the finance in the current climate as i have poor credit rating from my teenage days. :(

even more reason to stand your ground with the NHS as Liz suggested above.

Give it some thought hun. Would your husband go to the surgery with you and help you present your case to another GP?

what area do you live in hun? do you know which PCT you come under?

Some good advice above. Stand your gropund. Have you seen this thread?

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66792-nhs-funding-surgery-where-start.html

Some of our friends on this forum have had some hard hoops to jump through, but with help with letters, advice on what to say etc, they have persevered. Your BMI is big enough for NICE. I agree with liz and all; I suspect your GP is anti-WLS.

Take heart and dig your heels in! You have the mighty 'weight' of minis behind you! Mwahahahahaha :D

Hmmm.. have just checked BOSPA site for both Cambridge & Norfolk PCTs and they both say this:

"BMI over 40 with type 2 diabetes and/or severe sleep apnoea (hypertension is not an allowable comorbidity for surgery), are aged 18-60 and who have been receiving intensive obesity management of at least 6 months"

This may not be up to date though, so it's worth checking with the PCTs themselves.

Best of luck hun.

Last edited:
Ive just phoned my family gp - ive never met her but shes a mother and apprently the best gp there. so ive asked for a telephone appointment.

Ladies any help i can get i need, i really want to fight them on this - i cannot live life as a fat person anymore. Im 25 and feel like a 90 year old.

Ive just phoned my family gp - ive never met her but shes a mother and apprently the best gp there. so ive asked for a telephone appointment.

Ladies any help i can get i need, i really want to fight them on this - i cannot live life as a fat person anymore. Im 25 and feel like a 90 year old.

Ok Hun, get a pen and paper and make a list of all the diets you have tried, how long you have managed to stick to them and what weight you have lost. Its actually GOOD if you can show you have lost weight yourself but have trouble maintaining the loss.

ALso, make a list of EVERY ailment you suffer from, whether you feel it is related to your weight or not. This could be painful joints, shortness of breath, heavy periods, skin rashes/iritations in the folds of your skin, low self esteem, as well as the more serious conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, absolutely everything you can think of.

Then, and most importantly IMO, show her that you have done your research. Tell her that you KNOW the NICE guidelines recommend surgery for anyone with a BMI of 40 or more without co-morbidities. If you do have any co-morbidities then the NICE criteria is BMI 35+. Explain to her why you feel that surgery is your only option, and that you understand it is not taking the easy option, but really is your last option after having tried everything else.

good luck hun

Wannalose8stone i want to hug you!:hug99: and everyone else for the fab advice!

Im making a list now of all the diets ive done, and ailments and ita actually quite shocking how much there is.

Wannalose8stone i want to hug you!:hug99: and everyone else for the fab advice!

Im making a list now of all the diets ive done, and ailments and ita actually quite shocking how much there is.

You are very welcome hun, and if I can be of any further help at all just shout.

Liz2008 had to consult more than one doctor before she got a referral, and Tesmaralda had to see more than one as well before she was taken seriously. So dont be afraid to stand your ground.

the hug is much appreciated and heres one back at ya! :hug99:

Hiya,

Ur story sounds very similar to mine, my BMI is around 43 now and I fought the PCT hard but unfortunately as i have no co-morbities (many weight related problems but not classed as co-morbities) they won't back down. Even had a private surgeon write to them to appeal as i fit NICE guidelines perfectly but to no avail!!

That doesn't mean give up, follow the advice on here, there are loads of people who can give you tips and advice.

For me I just couldn't wait any longer and my husband and I decided to go private. It cost 10,000 but family helped us out and we only had to borrow 6,000 from the bank. We added it to our mortgage over 20 years and are only paying £44 per month - people pay more that that for gym membership!!!!

You just have to go with what right for you and if I can help in any way, I will, just ask x x x

Good luck

Ok Hun, get a pen and paper and make a list of all the diets you have tried, how long you have managed to stick to them and what weight you have lost. Its actually GOOD if you can show you have lost weight yourself but have trouble maintaining the loss.

ALso, make a list of EVERY ailment you suffer from, whether you feel it is related to your weight or not. This could be painful joints, shortness of breath, heavy periods, skin rashes/iritations in the folds of your skin, low self esteem, as well as the more serious conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, absolutely everything you can think of.

Then, and most importantly IMO, show her that you have done your research. Tell her that you KNOW the NICE guidelines recommend surgery for anyone with a BMI of 40 or more without co-morbidities. If you do have any co-morbidities then the NICE criteria is BMI 35+. Explain to her why you feel that surgery is your only option, and that you understand it is not taking the easy option, but really is your last option after having tried everything else.

good luck hun
Excellent advice from 'wannalose8stone'.

Keep with it hun, you will get there by which ever way you choose, good luck!!!
x x x :)

I have not had the doc phone back yet and if i have to walk in there naked for them to take me seriously then i will - then they will why i want it done lol!

No laughing matter, but seriously ladies i have been getting ready to give up recently and you have got my fighting spirit ready for a good row again!

I do have wrote my list and if nothing happens today with telephone appointment, though it should as ive checked my doctor out and she does weight management etc and i hope she gets my drift basically.

Hi
as the others said.
my GP although she was good ( I do think female gp's are better are on this subject !! sorry fellas no offence !!)

she said she would look into - at that point I told her I already had and had spoken to the PCT who confimed the BOSPA guidelines online were up to date - and it was my understanding I could be referred for funding as I fitted the criteria - also I told her about all the failed dieting ( she had referred me to CD and Xenical over the years which helped ).
sometimes you have to describe every day as your worst day if you know what I mean go OTT.

Bit cheeky I know but sometimes if you show you mean business, know your stuff and are determined it helps them along a bit !! also the girl who does the funding at my PCT is bloody fab gave me loads of advice told me what the letter from the GP had to contain info wise - apparently loads of GP's miss out loads on info and it all slows it down. Maybe worth a call to them - can go round the houses finding the right person but they can be invaluable .

You CAN do this wortha fight to save that cash -
xxxxxx

keep fighting chick. Im right behind ya.

Another thing you could do if you want to be pro-active is ring your GP and find out which PCT you come under (or it might say on your medical NHS card). Then ring the PCT and ask them outright what the criteria is for getting WLS on the NHS in your area.

Back