• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospitals encourage the obese to eat more? Discuss.

Tyraboots

From The Times

January 21, 2010

Hospitals ‘encourage the overweight to eat more to get operation’

Sam Lister

Patients requiring life-saving weight loss surgery are being refused treatment because of “inconsistent and unethical” hospital policies, leading surgeons warn today.
Funding constraints mean patients are denied gastric band operations despite meeting NHS guidelines — with some in effect encouraged to eat more to help prioritise their cause.
The bariatric surgeons warn that some patients are forced to wait not until they become more obese, but also until they develop life-threatening illness such as diabetes or stroke before getting the treatment.
The Royal College of Surgeons (RCS), which is hosting a conference on bariatric surgery today, described gastric band healthcare as “inconsistent, unethical and completely dependent on geographical location”. It wants the Department of Health to invest in a long-term strategy to ensure equal access to treatment.
Related Links

Two thirds of bariatric surgeons surveyed by the RCS said patients eligible under National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence guidelines were refused surgery in their centres. They also reported wide variations, even within the same health authority, with some refusing patients with a body mass index of 60-plus while treating patients with a BMI of 40 or less. Others were said to be refusing to commission any obesity surgery.
Mike Larvin, a bariatric surgeon and RCS director of education, said: “Nice guidelines are meant to signal the end of postcode lotteries, yet local commissioning groups are choosing not to deliver on obesity surgery.
“In many regions the threshold criteria are being raised to save money in the short term, meaning patients are denied treatments and effectively encouraged to eat more to gain a more risky operation farther down the line.”
According to the NHS Constitution published in 2009, morbidly obese patients — those with a BMI of 40 or more — have a legal right to be assessed for weight loss surgery. However, the surgeons report that some primary care trusts are raising the bar so that only the most extremely ill patients — those with a BMI of 50 or 60 with obesity-related illness — are being referred for surgery. Surgeons say that such cases actually have less to gain from surgery and are far more likely to suffer serious complications.
The delay in treating these patients is draining NHS resources, with obesity-associated healthcare costs estimated at £7.2 billion a year.
Surgeons say that surgery costs are recouped within three years as obesity-associated costs are eliminated, and it is the only successful method of treating the morbidly obese.
Peter Sedman, bariatric surgeon and council member of the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons, said there was “absolutely no doubt” that some patients more needy of surgical treatment than others were being denied it. “I will treat the patient, my hospital will offer the service, but unless the patient moves house they will not be referred and if they are, the treatment is subsequently blocked.”
Mr Alberic Fiennes, president-elect of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgical Society, added: “We recognise the difficulties in dealing with a ‘new’ disease of epidemic proportions but to limit surgery to the most severely obese is unfair and short-sighted and against basic professional ethics.”
David Haslam of the National Obesity Forum, said: “Bariatric surgery is amongst the most clinically-effective and cost-effective specialities in any field of medicine, preventing premature death and transforming lives, while saving vast amounts of money for the NHS.”

Last edited:
I can only speak from my experience but no medical professional EVER told me to gain weight to access surgery, quite the opposite actually, but I suppose I was 'lucky' in the fact that I had a high enough BMI and had co-morbidities, but I was actually told in no uncertain terms that if I gained any weight before surgery then I would the funding would be removed and I had to sign to agree to a two year 'contract' to see them to make sure that I am doing everything in my power to work with the bypass to lose the weight, I suppose if I cocked it up myself then I would owe them the costs of surgery as I would have broken the contract, not like I would even consider not giving it my all.
I HAVE seen people on the forums wondering if they should gain some weight to really qualify for funding, its sad really because we DO need help without making it harder.
I fully expect a lot of fat bashing to go on in the press and on the street now though because of it, like we need more of that!!
Steph xx

I have to say that I had a BMI and a history that allowed me to qualify for WLS in my area - so noone told me to gain any weight at all (as Steph said: once I was refered I was told to sustain or lose weight). However, when I went to my GP regarding the referal (back in Jan '09) she told me that they had been told to tell patients (on more than one occasion) that they had to wait until they put on more weight before they would send off a funding application.

I agree that there should be a minimum requirement of being a certain weight (whether it be determined by BMI or some other method), as this surgery should be reserved for those who have a serious problem. However, this should be applied across the board and PCT's shouldn't be able to take up their own guidlelines and place their own restrictions on access to the NHS treatments.

I feel the NHS is stuck between a rock and a hard place with regards to access to WLS guidelines. They can't be seen to be giving this essental and lifesaving operation to people of all weights - however, by placing a minimum requirement on access, there will always be someone along the line who will be told that they have to be heavier to qualify.

Hmmmmmm... I don't know what they should do with regards to the guidelines. But I do know that the ones they set for they entire country (ie, in the NICE guidelines) should be followed by the entire country - no exceptions!

Steph x

Putting on weight for funding!

I have been at weight management for 18 months,in that time I did everything required of me.I lost 3 st at Slimming World to prove I can do it,did the exersize classes,sleep test,dietician clinic etc etc.Last visit to my consultant I was told they would not apply for funding till my bmi was 45 or over,as the panel wont even look at my case till then.So yes I was basically told to go home and put on weight!!I am now 19st 2lb and bmi 47.I go back to see consultant Friday so hope at least to be put to panel.I have been very down about having to do this as I feel ill with the extra weight impacting on my liver and joints.What if they refuse after all this?I have pushed my bp,cholesterol,liver lipids,joint pain,sleep probs,skin infections to the limit.I could be now borderline diabetic which I wasnt before!CRAZY:confused:

I have diabetes and my BMI is 40. NICE guidelines state 35 for surgery. However here in Leeds they want a BMI of 40-45. As myself and my GP agree, I could eat myself up to 40 but that would just add to my health problems long term, and they're bad enough already. Surely this would cost the NHS more should I get upto 40 and have additional medical complications.

According to the Nice guidelines I should have qualified for NHS funding to have weightloss surgery. Although I have no co-morbidities, my bmi was 45 which was 5 points over the required minimum of 40. I had tried all the numerous weightloss methods, attended clinics, weightloss clubs, taken the drugs, done it all. But I was still turned down, twice! When I spoke to my surgeon about it, he said I had no chance of getting the pct to agree to fund me with a bmi of under 50.

So in my case, the guidelines weren't followed. I could have argued it but to be honest it seemed a lost cause. I do understand totally that there are people more needy of the op than me, but it still niggled me that the rules weren't being followed.

I was lucky that my story ended happily :D as I could afford to borrow the money and go private but that doesn't help all the others out there in my situation who sadly don't have that option. :(

I agree that they need to have one rule for all though and that ALL pct's throughout the country should have to follow it. Hopefully this media extravaganza will help towards changes being made.

Cuppa xx

I have been at weight management for 18 months,in that time I did everything required of me.I lost 3 st at Slimming World to prove I can do it,did the exersize classes,sleep test,dietician clinic etc etc.Last visit to my consultant I was told they would not apply for funding till my bmi was 45 or over,as the panel wont even look at my case till then.So yes I was basically told to go home and put on weight!!I am now 19st 2lb and bmi 47.I go back to see consultant Friday so hope at least to be put to panel.I have been very down about having to do this as I feel ill with the extra weight impacting on my liver and joints.What if they refuse after all this?I have pushed my bp,cholesterol,liver lipids,joint pain,sleep probs,skin infections to the limit.I could be now borderline diabetic which I wasnt before!CRAZY:confused:

I been sat here reading your post and trying to find the right words to reply to it....................

I can understand your logic for gaining the weight to be able to have the surgery, but at the same time I cannot understand why you would want to push your body to the limit and cause yourself as u have sed that "I have pushed my bp,cholesterol,liver lipids,joint pain,sleep probs,skin infections to the limit.I could be now borderline diabetic which I wasnt before! why would anyone do this too themselve without the guarantee of wls anyway? Because at the end of the day if you are not given wls you will have the additional weight to lose and all the added health related weight issues u have also gained by gaining the additonal weight, and tbh I think for the doc/consultant to tell u to gain weight to increase your chances is totally unethical of them (soz but thats my opinon) BUT having sed that on the flip side of the coin, I can understand why you have done wot u have done and wish you all the luck in the future.
Hope I didnt offend you (or anyone) by wot I sed, but thats my personal opinion. x x x

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi no offence taken at all!The doc didnt say go forth and put on weight,he just said they wont even open the application if my bmi is not minimum 45,all the time looking me right in the eye if you know what I mean.He said I was an ideal candidate and he thought I would be very succesful as I prooved I could loose weight just couldnt keep it off for long periods.

Back