• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do we do it?

Big an Bouncy

I want to lose 100lbs or more.now a sack of spuds is 56lbs,how the hell am I carrying two sacks of spuds!!!Day in day out,upstairs downstairs, in the bath,round the supermarket even with me in bed,bouncing them on top of my oh,Well I still do it you know!!The body must aclimatise itself slowly to the extra weight and then compensate by working overtime to keep going,No wonder hearts fail,joints wear out and livers give up!!

I wonder exactly the same and i need to lose bout 230/240 lbs no wonder i can barely walk :(

You sound as if your a bit down in the dumps.:cry::cry:
It will happen!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of people on here have lost more than that and so will you. we must all remember what it feels like to be overweight once we have had the surgery. so chin up, and every day is a day closer.

It is hard to comprehend how we still manage to function carrying all that extra weight around. I needed to lose over 2 sacks of spuds and felt disabled by my weight ( no offence to people who ARE disabled - I'm sure you know what I mean)

Having lost 25lb already which is almost half a sack of spuds - I feel so much better and have more energy at 3 weeks post op than I did for months at my pre op weight.

i remember when i had hit my 6 stone mark and one of the little ones having a meltdown whilst we were crossing the road. I had to pick her up as we were in the middle of a busy dual carrigeway and i remember thinking to myself, My god she weighs what i have lost. i wouldnt of liked or been able to carry her any futher than the other side of the road and then i had adrenalin pumping through me.
i suppose because the weight creeps on gradually our body ajusts to it bit when you just throw it all back on in one go like that or picking up a sack of spuds we know about it.

our bodies are really good at adapting to weight, in the same way as a body builder increases his muscle strength our bodies will build muslce to help us cope and carry weight. However, it does put a massive strain on your heart, (you are asking to work really hard), your joints are being worn down (in the same way as a runner's is by continually putting strain on them) and your organs are covered in fat - which means they cant function in the same way.

But you are all doing something about this, you are changing (or have changed your lives) and your body will thank you for that!!! Your joints and your heart and your organs will function much better. Your body will once again adapt to the changes and you will feel like a new person.

Good luck to all of you on your journey.

Love

Annie x

wow what a great thread i agree your body does start to adept to the weight but eventually when its gone you realise how hard life was b4 when you had the extra weight on ya lin.x

I'm having a lot of back aches at the moment. I think it's because on the way 'up' the body adjusts slowly, but because I'm on the way down fast at the moment. My body is finding it hard trying to compensate which muscles need to be used etc!

So am I, never thought about it like that. Thanks honey.

I went to the vets last night with the dog and they were weighing a rather large Bull Mastiff, It weighed in at 27kgs and I have to admit that at the time I thought 'my god I've lost three of those so far', where the hell did I manage to carry that amount of weight?

You do notice the difference as it comes off though, even simple things like being able to cut your own toe nails, scratching your own back or even dare I say it wiping your own bottom. These are things that others just take for granted and don't think twice about aren't they?

When I lost weight many years ago (I lost ten stones in a year - of course it didn't stay off!) I used to go along to the supermarket every couple of weeks and fill a basket with bags of sugar which equalled my weight loss. Then I used to try and pick it up. I even got my partner to try and pick it up once or twice - he was always gobsmacked.

Scary what we put our poor bodies through, isn't it? x

You do notice the difference as it comes off though, even simple things like being able to cut your own toe nails, scratching your own back or even dare I say it wiping your own bottom. These are things that others just take for granted and don't think twice about aren't they?

Exactly the simple things like this, when I tell 'regular' sized people, it's like a light has switched on. They always say, oooh yeah, geeee.

I know exactly what you mean about the loo! It's never a nice thing to talk about, and it was rather embarassing. But little things like this make the 'whole' experience happier and happier!

WoW!
2 sacks of spuds I've never looked at it like that before, I have lost nearly 2 sacks lol, Minus 13lbs, It just astonishing to think I carried all that weight, I guess over the years we don't notice it like that and like someone else said we adapt slowly. No wonder we are full of life when its all gone.

I look at it like this a tin of baked beans weight approx 1lbs so I have lost abouy 98tins lol

Back