• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Interesting WLS article in The Guardian

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
The middle part of this article deals with bariatric surgery (topped and tailed with other procedures):

How the world fell in love with quick-fix weight loss | Life and style | The Guardian

I particularly liked a few quotes within it:

Thinnies can never know the misery and frustration suffered by the very overweight. It is a hellish cycle to be stuck in: the more you eat, the larger and hungrier you get.

and

Meanwhile, Alberic Fiennes, president of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society, says, "If you have a BMI of 40-something, and you've been that way for several years, it is overwhelmingly likely to be irreversible – whatever the thin people think."

Mr Fiennes was my consultant and did my op - he is a wonderful man and really understands about over weight people I would recommend him to anyone going private - he knows what he is talking about - and doesnt just do the op and wave bye bye he does a free support group once a month, he ensures you are in agreement with him before the op - he phones to make sure you are ok he works with his wife who aids the op and calls you every month, she is the dietitian too - He taught many of the drs who now do the op on the nhs

thanks for posting this i found it interesting to read.

I don't like the title. "Quick fix weight loss" reinforces public opinion that surgery is cheating.

very interesting! thanks sharon :) xxx

I don't like the title. "Quick fix weight loss" reinforces public opinion that surgery is cheating.

I didn't like the title either -- but that is sub-editors for you !!

The article itself is actually much more balanced and thought-provoking than the 'tabloid' title. :rolleyes:

Mr Fiennes was my consultant and did my op - he is a wonderful man

Thanks MissDeeDee -- what clinic/surgery group was your surgery / Mr Fiennes with?

I'm not going private myself (fortunate enough to have NHS funding) but this info could be useful for others who are considering private.

Thanks MissDeeDee -- what clinic/surgery group was your surgery / Mr Fiennes with?

I'm not going private myself (fortunate enough to have NHS funding) but this info could be useful for others who are considering private.

He is an independent consultant now - He works via two hospitals as far as I know, Parkside in Wimbledon and St Anthony's in cheam - he is on the web with his contact numbers - he even answers the phone himself if he is there

I am not too sure I would want the pipe up my nose lol

I enjoyed the article because of the opinions of the experts. However, I found the journalist to not be balanced in their view at all. Anything that sounded supportive was a bit tongue in cheek or a bit of a joke.

I would love to see a really balanced article one day. There is always the undertone of this being the easy way out :(

It was a good read though :)

Thanks Sharon x

was interesting but a little anti surgery for my liking, almost trying to desuade people

Back