• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Iron Tablets and sugar...

Cuppacocoa

wants the sunshine back!
Hi all,

I have been prescribed by the hospital some iron tablets, Ferrous Sulphate, but the instructions warn that they may not be suitable for people with a sugar intolerance as they contain sucrose, glucose and something else. It's made me a bit scared to take them as the last thing I want whilst still recovering from the op is an attack of the dumps!! :eek::eek::eek:

Have any of you kind people taken them and do you think I'll be ok?

Thank you in advance,
Cuppa xx
PS I remember asking the dietician a while back whether you need to be careful of sugar coated pills etc and she said this was taking things a little too far so perhaps I'm being a little paranoid lol but I'll ask anyway!! :eek:

They are enteric coated, which is where the sugar comes in. They won't make you dump, as it is such a tiny amount, but there is a theory that the bypassed intestine so early post op is less able to break down the coating than a normal person would be.
An alternative is ferrous fumerate sugar free syrup, or ferrous fumerate tablets which aren't enteric coated, both available on script. I found the syrup lightest on my stomach, it was the only one that didn't cause me bowel related problems!

I switched to Ferrous Fumerate tablets because the other kind made my stomach hurt, the syrup was okay I just would always forget to take it and since a liquid isn't very practical in my handbag and tasted like rusty nails, I was happy to switch to the tablets.

Nic;)

I'm on ferrous fumerate tabs, I hate them but needs must;)

Thank you very much, you're all very helpful. I think the Ferrous Fumerate tabs/liquid sound like a better bet so I'll make some enquiries about getting some. Each time I see the iron tabs I have been prescribed I see a big skull and crossbones on them telling me to avoid them like the plague! And I've learnt to trust my instinct over the years! :eek:

Thanks again,
Cuppa xx

hi ive just gone onto the tablets, found the syrup disgusting!

I have not been given any iron meds or any script for them. I raised it at my post-op yesterday, the dr looked at my eyelids and said I don't need anything. Doesn't sound very scientific, but he was also looking at me quite quizically. I guess you ladies need a bit more iron than us blokes?

John xx

my understanding is that we both need it although you may require less.
I have been able to take the sulphate no problems and my iron levels are fine.
hth
carole

I have not been given any iron meds or any script for them. I raised it at my post-op yesterday, the dr looked at my eyelids and said I don't need anything. Doesn't sound very scientific, but he was also looking at me quite quizically. I guess you ladies need a bit more iron than us blokes?

John xx

He looked at your eye lids to make sure they are nice and pink...if they are pale it is an indication of aneamia...HTH

Hi Cocoa glad to see youve had ur op sorry not bee on for a while not been well my sugar level have been up and down like a yoyo, hope every thing went really well for you hun:) Took me a while to find the new part of this to, looks like slimvill here you come girl.

Sharon

Hi I was put on these 4 weeks after bypass, but found they made me feel ill all the time. My surgeon took me off them, said he would review this at 6 months, he also said that our bodies retain enough iron to last about 2 years so he wasn't really concerned at the moment.

I also know of a couple of bypassers who have never had to take iron supplements.

Back