• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice on Ferrous Sulphate Tablets

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hiya all
I am needing a little bit of advice.
The hospital gave me a prescription to give to my gp with the meds I will need post surgery and obviously one was Ferrous Sulphate and I looked at the box when I got them (not taking them yet obviously) and saw that it says 'contains spray dried liquid glucose, lactose and sucrose', I know a lot of pills are sugar coated but I am worried about them making me dump. I asked the chemist and they said it only comes in sugar coated and to talk to my gp, which I did and she said that it was the hospital that prescribed them so I should ask the hospital, which I intend to do when I go in for the op on Thursday but I was just wondering if I should even be concerned about them being sugar coated, would the hospital really prescribe me tablets that could upset me?
Thanks
Steph xx

they will be fine - been taking 3 a day for months and no problems. However you wont be able to take them for 8 weeks post surgery until the pouch heals sufficiently. They will give you liquid iron which is foul unless you dilute it with water! Handy tip! Good luck with the op.

They won't make you dump, but your intestines will find the sugar hard to dissolve. You can get ferrous fumerate tablets that aren't enteric coated, or ferrous fumerate sugar free syrup which is easiest on the stomach.

Back