• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it much harder 6+ months postop?

Dell

I just recall my providers banging on about the first 6months weight loss being down to the surgery, and after that its down to me....

Makes me nervous, despite the fact I'm confident I make sensible food choices and the knowledge that my tastes have changed for the better. I normally have a good exercise regime too. I think I'm probably nervous too as Im so incapacitated right now with lots of muscle wastage and mad hunger thanks to steroids, but Im keeping that in check thanks to melon and grapes!!

I just wondered if anyone had noticed a defined difference after 6+ months. I'm pretty sure I can eat more already but still less than a child's portion!

I definitely eat more Dell,well i can with bread n stuff. Still only manage small amounts of the good stuff like fish/chicken. Amazing how crap goes down so well.

I think we just need to be really conscious of what we eat, something i never expected pre op, well not to this context anyway.

But i love my bypass and wouldn't be without it :) xx

Yep me too.
Same as Julie, not large amounts of solid protein but anything else goes down a bit too easily.
I have been told I have muscle wastage too...what have you been told to do to remedy this if you don't mind me asking? x

I can eat larger portions but not by much. I also feel hunger now and then.

But the other day I tried going back to basics, eating tiny bites, chewing really well, not drinking with a meal (bad habit I've got into)...I was full MUCH faster!

I still can't eat much in the way of bread, rice, pasta or carbs...apart from crisps!

Or sweet stuff or fatty stuff either. I'm delighted to say I still dump!

Ladies, please dont' think i'm been rude, but what do you mean 'muscle wastage'? Do you mean you've lost the weight so quickly your body has started burning your muscles rather than the fat? Not meaning to be offensive.... but muscle wastage has been mentioned before and i just wanted clarification xx

i was wondering the same julie x

I can def say it is down to you after about 6 mnths !! I had a lap band first and I started to put weight on after 7 mnths and fast but that was all my fault I just forced food in !!! The operation is just a tool to help you if u use the tool wrong the tool won't work !!!

scoobydoobydoo, phatmomma and xxsarahxx

My muscle wastage is ONLY because I've been in bed ill since the.middle of February and then at the end if March my kidneys failed, so.literally bed bound for a month. It's all in my.diary etc I won't repeat it all here again. As a result I've lost muscle bulk from everywhere even my poor bum :D and as I'm also dizzy all the time as well as suffering horrendous year to toe tremors, I'm not able to walk more than a few yards so I'm not rebuilding muscle.

Prior to the illness I was 100% fine, but I eat well and exercise about 5 times a week. I think I may need advice from a physiotherapist re rehab as I don't know where to start and the lack of mobility is driving me mad now, we've hired a wheelchair and I've borrowed a stick but its horrible :( i hate it, hubby hates it....my little ones aged 6&8 love it ;)

I can eat more for sure, but still, as from day one chicken is the thing I can eat least of, veg is what I've really noticed I can cram in cos I love it and pick at what's left on the table!!! Totally breaking my rules!

Last edited:
I can eat larger portions but not by much. I also feel hunger now and then.

But the other day I tried going back to basics, eating tiny bites, chewing really well, not drinking with a meal (bad habit I've got into)...I was full MUCH faster!

I still can't eat much in the way of bread, rice, pasta or carbs...apart from crisps!

Or sweet stuff or fatty stuff either. I'm delighted to say I still dump!

I'm a tiny bit pleased you said about drinking with meals as I've sipped water once or twice during tricky meals and realised I could pack more away....felt naughty but I did use it to eat a little more (chicken!) with no ill effect.....very dangerous to know for me, the not drinking thing is the one bypass thing that gets me, willpower definitely comes into that aspect.

I still.dump too, only mildly I think, flushing, sweating, sleeping, as I'm too.scared to push my limits, but its good cos it means I have limits....Phew!

I always chew lots as I used to get food stuck so.often it made me paranoid, but I also eat very little in the way of pasta/rice, prob once a mth, altho I do eat that Danish bread, two slices crammed full of salad, cheese and thin smoked ham is my latest addiction:D.

My restriction is still good at 20 months out, but like the rest of you, if I make poor choices I can eat loads as it just goes straight through.

Bad habits are hard to break, but I have started the May challenge and with summer on the way I want to ensure I am looking and feeling my best.

So I wouldnt say its harder as the tool is still working - but its harder to apply the rules if that makes any sense.

It was much harder for me after 6 months I lost much slower and could eat more but as Sam said that's often down to not being so strict. At 2 years I can eat a lot more but my restriction will still kick in if I stick religiously to the 'rules' just not as much as before.

M

I was about 4 months out when I noticed that it became much more difficult for me. At 3 months out I was eating a child size portion & now at 7 months out I can eat a normal adult size portion & this is a high protein meal.

I have followed low carb principles since my op (which I was doing pre op) & have found it actually harder since 4 months to lose weight than before, of course this will be because I'm not far from my goal weight but I have to be SO much stricter than I ever thought I would have to be.

The one thing I have noticed tho is that all though losing weight is a struggle maintaining is much easier... although I can still gain 3-4lbs over a weekend when I take my eye off the ball!

I love what my bypass has done for my health & weight & although I knew it was just a tool to work with never did I expect to be able to eat so much so quickly post op... I did have a mini bypass compared to others only 70x70 which I don't know if that makes a difference.

I feel like I have learnt lots on my 15 month journey (lost 60lbs before my op) & feel well prepared to not allow myself to get back up to where I was before BUT it scares me how easily it could happen, I don't dump & can eat plenty, so its down to me really these days. xx

Thanks for explaining Dell, and thank you for putting this post on. I'm loving the information been pulled from people.... Personally as you struggle with protein i don't see why a little sip of water to help you get a bit more in would be a bad thing? Especially with your muscle wastage as protein will help rebuild and protect what you have left surely? Maybe ask your team about that.....

Hopefully a physio assessment will help with regard to what you can do to rebuild it. And as for the kids n the w/chair, i hear you, my ex mother in law is in one and the kids used to love to stand on the foot pedal to reach up for a kiss bye bye lol....

Best wishes on a speedy recuperation xx

Julie,
When I saw the consultant last month he weighed me on some special super duper scales and told me that my muscle mass was 70 something before op and is now 50...dunno what..per cent..grams??
Anyway he said he needs me to eat more and exercise more and not to worry about trying to lose more weight but instead try to build the muscle back up x

the first 6 months is often referred to as the "honeymoon period"....during this time you can't really help but lose weight, after that most of us start being able to eat more, the initial nervousness around food has gone and we start experimenting more with what we are eating (i know i did)

It just means that using the first 6 months to it's fullest to help you get into a new routine with food and viewing it a new way to prevent you slipping back to old habits easily when you start being able to eat more :)

Thank you all! I feel v nervous to be out of the honeymoon period but also realise while my kidneys are not working well and I am STILL on steroids for the next 6-8 weeks ish I can't expect to lose loads....

I think I have made inroads into my eating habits quite well, I have very different tastes to before the op and find it easy to avoid the naughtier stuff! I need to stop picking at biscuits (something I have got into since being on steroids) as altho its probably only 3-4 per day, I don't want to get into the habit (this was a downfall over the last year prior to my op, packets of biscuits!).

Thanks again :)

Hi everyone - I have not been on here for a while so just having a quick catch up. I went for a check up today as I am now eight months post op and I am lucky as I have already almost reached target bar a couple of pounds.

However - I can definitely eat and drink more and realise it would be all too easy to slip back into bad habits. Luckily (or unluckily perhaps!) I do get awful stomach cramps and end up in the loo if I eat too high fat foods which therefore rules out too many biscuits or 'bad' foods!! I dont dump so on the sugar front I may also be in trouble (pre op I even used to put sugar in yoghurt!) I am therefore having to try really hard now to lost the last few pounds and I am determined to stay as I am now as I love my new figure, energy and lack of aches and pains!!

Love my bypass and dont regret it ever but yes it needs work once you get past six months out!

Sorry for such a daft question what is "dump" I am looking at getting my bypass soon and am trying to understand what you are all going through

Many thanks
Dave

Sorry for such a daft question what is "dump" I am looking at getting my bypass soon and am trying to understand what you are all going through

Many thanks
Dave

Dumping is a physiological change that occurs when people who have had gastric bypass surgery eat too much high sugar high carb or high fat food. The stomach releases the food all at once into the intestine resulting in Cramps, confusion, yawning, sleepyness, nausea, vomiting and diorreha. You can get all of these symptoms or just one or two. and they range from mild to OH MY GOD I'M GONNA PASS OUT XX

Ladies, please dont' think i'm been rude, but what do you mean 'muscle wastage'? Do you mean you've lost the weight so quickly your body has started burning your muscles rather than the fat? Not meaning to be offensive.... but muscle wastage has been mentioned before and i just wanted clarification xx

And me Julie,

Never sure what Muscle Wastage implies and if it can be rectified. I know when you come out of Plaster - you have Muscle Wastage but exercise then gets the limb back to normal.

Grateful for any info please.

Back