• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it much harder 6+ months postop?

scoobydoobydoo, phatmomma and xxsarahxx

My muscle wastage is ONLY because I've been in bed ill since the.middle of February and then at the end if March my kidneys failed, so.literally bed bound for a month. It's all in my.diary etc I won't repeat it all here again. As a result I've lost muscle bulk from everywhere even my poor bum :D and as I'm also dizzy all the time as well as suffering horrendous year to toe tremors, I'm not able to walk more than a few yards so I'm not rebuilding muscle.

Prior to the illness I was 100% fine, but I eat well and exercise about 5 times a week. I think I may need advice from a physiotherapist re rehab as I don't know where to start and the lack of mobility is driving me mad now, we've hired a wheelchair and I've borrowed a stick but its horrible :( i hate it, hubby hates it....my little ones aged 6&8 love it ;)

I can eat more for sure, but still, as from day one chicken is the thing I can eat least of, veg is what I've really noticed I can cram in cos I love it and pick at what's left on the table!!! Totally breaking my rules!

Sounds like you have had a terrible time and I hope things improve for you very soon.

hi
new to the forum but not to wls..
had my RNY in march 06..and lost most of my weight in the first 6 months.. then had a period of about 3 months when i didnt lose anything
they suddenly started to lose again and went on to lose another stone and half.. :D

it was when i reached 3 yrs out that i noticed maintaining difficult.. and still do.. my weight goes up and down like a yoyo!

now i have to watch what i eat all the time,
as they say WLS is only a tool and we have to put the work in for it to succeed... its true ... :sigh:

I am nearly 2 years post op and while I can't recall when things started being up to me and not the surgery (I think it varies from person to person and surgery to surgery anyways), I can tell you that it is all DEFINITELY down to me.

For about the past 6 months, I have basically been eating pure junk and crap as I've been so focused on ploughing through grad school. Because of that, I lost no weight, thankfully I didn't gain but I didn't lose which I should have been. I also started having severe abdominal pain which turned out to be gallstones. Now I am forced to eat a really low fat diet to keep from having any attack until I can have my gallbladder removed.

In some really weird way I am really grateful I developed the gallstones because it was a very PAINFUL slap in the face that I need to get my head back on straight and start following the rules. In just a couple weeks of cutting back and watching what I eat and following all my rules, I've already lost 6 lbs.

The surgery is a tool and eventually your body will adjust and start being able to accomodate more food (especially if you push your pouch and stretch it out), as well as absorbing more calories (if you have bypass). Because of this, you have to constantly remember that the bottom line comes down to us.

It is scary because we all have obviously had trouble with that or else we wouldn't need surgery at all but if you learn how to use your wonderful tool while it is working its hardest right in the very beginning, you can and will succeed, even if you have ridiculous lapses like I did.

My biggest advice for any newer post-op is to focus mostly on the emotional stuff. The rules are easy to get and follow but realising why we break them and what is our emotional pull to food is the really hard stuff, the stuff that will pull us back to old habits if we don't address them.

This journey is not always easy but it is always worth it, even with a stoney uncomfortable and sometimes painful gallbladder! I wouldn't change my surgically altered innards for anything!

I had my RNY eleven years ago and agree wholeheartedly with what I have read from the older post-ops. I wish it stayed as easy as it did in the beginning but eventually it is all about you.

I have gone through every bad thing I can think of including a transfer addiction to alcohol that almiost killed me before getting sober seven years ago which with the help of my sponsor helped me get rid of a lot of those demons from the past. I have also developed multiple autoimmune diseases which I dont think I could have stood at my pre-op weight.

This surgery was so worth it to me that I would crawl right back on that operating table if I had to!!

So here is my advice. Use your first year to year and a half by dealing with your food demons, use your pouch as the tool that it is and eat properly. Remember PROTEIN, WATER VITAMINS AND EXCERCISE!!!

Hope this helps someone,
Kellye

Back