• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just been given a date! Frantically packing hospital bag !

Hi, this may sound silly but are we ok to wear trousers and bras after sleeve op?
I've been given a date at really short notice ( not that I mind at all, im so excited!) And I'm frantically trying to pack a bag today as I'm working tomorrow and op is on Tuesday.
Will I be better throwing dresses and nighties in or will I be ok with pj's and jeggings?
Thanks xx

Congratulations on getting a date! I would recommend a sleeping bra or similar (ie without underwire), since one of the incision sites is just by the bra line. It was for me at least, and I would assume they place the incisions in fairly similar patterns for all laparoscopic surgeries. You can buy cheap 2-pack ones at M&S.

Jeggings shouldn't technically come near your incisions (unless you pull them up really high), but I'd pack some loose fitting bottoms as well to be on the safe side. You'll feel swollen and bloated after surgery, so better to just bring the most comfy things you can. I wore black pj bottoms on my way home.

Thanks for both of your advice, ive just been and bought some pj's and a comfort bra. Hope I will only be in the one night as planned because I've only enough stuff for one day. Can't believe I've only got 2 days until my op, after almost 2 years of waiting and I get 4 days notice lol :) xx

Just one night sounds quite ambitious. I was in hospital for one week (though that is longer than usual even for a bypasser) - but you do use far less stuff than you think. Just make sure to bring a book, tablet or something to keep you occupied.

My best post-surgery tip (wish the nurses had told me this sooner) - when you cough, press a pillow against your stomach! Your throat and lungs will be full of phlegm after surgery so you will have an urge to cough to clear them. It's important to do so, to prevent chest infections, but coughing can hurt..a LOT. Putting pressure on the stomach with a pillow while you cough helps with the pain.

Just one night sounds quite ambitious. I was in hospital for one week (though that is longer than usual even for a bypasser) - but you do use far less stuff than you think. Just make sure to bring a book, tablet or something to keep you occupied.

My best post-surgery tip (wish the nurses had told me this sooner) - when you cough, press a pillow against your stomach! Your throat and lungs will be full of phlegm after surgery so you will have an urge to cough to clear them. It's important to do so, to prevent chest infections, but coughing can hurt..a LOT. Putting pressure on the stomach with a pillow while you cough helps with the pain.

Thanks, I'll remember that....... I hope. I'm finding it difficult to remember anything whilst on this liver shrinking diet, probably all in my head but my brains not functioning properly.
Did you have complications with your op? I'm hoping to be out the next day as I have a 3 year old to look after and nit much of a contingency plan. Also I've seen a couple of threads on here saying you need to take cotton knickers? Or they give you paper ones, is that right?
Thanks x

Thanks, I'll remember that....... I hope. I'm finding it difficult to remember anything whilst on this liver shrinking diet, probably all in my head but my brains not functioning properly.
Did you have complications with your op? I'm hoping to be out the next day as I have a 3 year old to look after and nit much of a contingency plan. Also I've seen a couple of threads on here saying you need to take cotton knickers? Or they give you paper ones, is that right?
Thanks x

I didn't have any complications per se, I was just very slow in healing. Think my whole body was in a bit of a shock. Every round when the surgeons came they'd take one look at me and say "you're not ready". My blood count was very low as well, so I was very pale and just generally weak.

It's certainly doable to be out after one day, two ladies on my ward who had sleeves went home the next day (you could barely tell they'd had surgery!). Everyone is different though, so it is impossible to say. I can only speak of my own experience (and I had a bypass, not a sleeve), but I was certainly not prepared for how long it would take me to recover, or how limited I would be for the first two weeks. I needed help just getting out of bed, there is no way I would have been able to look after a 3 year old. Having said that, you may well be one of the people who feel relatively fine after a couple of days.

In terms of the knickers, the policy differs from hospital to hospital. Some allow you to keep your own, IF they are made of cotton. Others give you paper knickers. My hospital (King's College) used some weird net-style/bandage material knickers.

Ahhh thanks for that, ill enquire tomorrow. How long was it before you were back to normal? I've never had any operation before so Ive just presumed that ill be ok but starting to panic now. I'm actually going to Butlins with the kids for a short break 6 days after the operation and ive told work i'll only be off two weeks....... ill have to see how I get on x

Ahhh thanks for that, ill enquire tomorrow. How long was it before you were back to normal? I've never had any operation before so Ive just presumed that ill be ok but starting to panic now. I'm actually going to Butlins with the kids for a short break 6 days after the operation and ive told work i'll only be off two weeks....... ill have to see how I get on x

Well, I'm probably not the best example because I did have a rocky recovery and developed some problems later on (severe nausea and difficulties eating = vitamin deficiencies and dehydration) that landed me back in hospital. So all in all I was out for about 2 months. Once they fixed me up after my second stint in hospital all my food issues disappeared (some IV vitamin infusions did the trick) so from then on I was fine - but it then also took me a while to build my strength back up. In terms of soreness etc from the surgery, it took about two weeks before I could get out of bed on my own. Up until then I needed help, because it was too painful to use my stomach muscles. So things like bending over, getting in and out of bed etc wasn't easy.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! Just being honest about my experience, I think that's important. Like you, this was my first ever surgery and I was probably a bit naive going into it, thinking pain would be minimal and expecting recovery to be swift since it was laparoscopic. That wasn't quite the case, the first two months were very rough for me. BUT - everyone is different! A girl here from the forums had her bypass the day after me, and she went back to work after two weeks, no problems. So there's really no way to tell. The two sleevers on my ward who went home the next day looked totally fresh and like they could go back to work the next day. I was very jealous of them, haha!

Don't panic, and just take it as it comes. If you're fine to go back to work after two weeks - that's great. If not, you'll just have to sign off sick for a bit longer. It's not the end of the world.

I was in two nights - one in HDU and one on main ward. I took far too many clothes as I wasn't sure how long I would be in for or have reliable visitors as I was out of area. The first 24 hours was spent in a gown. I was able to use my own knickers if I wanted to but came out of surgery in some elasticated hospital ones which were very comfy. I couldn't cope with a bra for a couple of weeks because of one of my incisions. If you get out of your gown before your drips are gone then a very big baggy t shirt is handy or a loose fitting nightie. I prefer PJ's so bought some short ones as it is always very hot in hospital.

A cushion for the journey home was very helpful.

Don't expect to be able to do childcare as soon as you get home, or even preparing any food. Certainly no lifting. No driving either for at least 2 weeks. I have had a number of laparoscopic and full cut surgeries and have found there is very little difference in the recovery time - 4-6 weeks, and that was eating normally afterwards. With a very limited diet it will be harder. A sleeve is a big cut inside so don't let the small holes on the outside fool you. You won't want to split your staples by overdoing it!!

You will also be very tired. Personally I wouldn't entertain the idea of going to Butlins at 6 days - you will mainly want to sleep. Have you checked with your team about going on holiday so soon? If you do have any complications, such as infections, oozing wounds, or swallowing difficulties then you will need to have access to doctors who understand WLS.

Thanks x
When did u start your pfe op diet babe. Congrats to u xx

Thanks for the advice everyone, im here waiting for my slot. I'll have to just take it as it comes now. Any regrets TiaLi?
Sam55 thanks, ive just asked and they think Butlins will be good as they want me walking for at least 30 mins a day??
Disposable net type knickers here too so I'm glad I didn't go buying cotton ones :)
Jj87 I started the diet on Thursday evening xx

Any regrets TiaLi?

For the first 8 weeks when I was poorly I definitely had regrets, because I wasn't convinced there was light at the end of the tunnel. I was very drained, physically and emotionally.

Now that I'm recovered - no regrets whatsoever. It is extremely liberating not obsessing about food all the time. Almost 4 months out, and 37kgs (6 stones) down since surgery. My body is definitely feeling the benefit already.

Good luck today!

Thanks, it's nice to know it's all worth it. Keeps you going knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Im home now, had surgery at about 6.30pm last night. Didn't enjoy coming around from the anaesthetic but apart from that all well so far. Ive managed to drink loads so now worrying they havnt done the sleeve properly lol x

Glad to hear everything went well! That's great that you are finding fluids easy, staying hydrated was one of the most difficult things for me in the beginning. Let us know how you get on! Make sure you don't overdo it over the next couple of weeks, get plenty of rest.

How's it going fellow sleever?
Hiya, im feeling great thanks, how are you? My weights still stalled, not really lost anything for 3 weeks which I'm gutted about but im feeling good. Lost 13 kg since op. I'm not interested in food, forget to eat and when I do I can only eat about 4 teaspoons full. Can't understand why I'm not losing but my clothes feel lose and people have absolutely noticed it's just the scales that havnt haha xx

Hiya, im feeling great thanks, how are you? My weights still stalled, not really lost anything for 3 weeks which I'm gutted about but im feeling good. Lost 13 kg since op. I'm not interested in food, forget to eat and when I do I can only eat about 4 teaspoons full. Can't understand why I'm not losing but my clothes feel lose and people have absolutely noticed it's just the scales that havnt haha xx
I stalled for 3 weeks too, but then it started again
You need to make sure you actually eat, check your protein, 60 grams at least and it will kick the loss off again

Back