• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ketosis?

LaManche

Hello

I presume I am in ketosis because, for the last couple of weeks, I have had the most awful metallic taste in my mouth despite continually brushing my teeth and tongue.

I am 4 weeks post op after a gastric sleeve.

I just wondered if ketosis is a good thing? Has anyone else experienced it and how long does it last? I am not enjoying it!

Many thanks everyone :)

When the body believes it is starving, and all reserved liver stores have been depleted the body starts to burn body fat, ketones are released into the blood stream to feed the brain.
At this point u r in starvation mode, and ketones can be detected in your urine, the smell is on your breath and a coating can form in your tongue.

Ketosis is neither a bad thing or a good thing, but it is a natural thing.
Weight loss is good in Ketosis as the body is burning actual fat. Your concentration will be good, energy levels improved, and reduction in appetite. (All natured way of helping u cope with starvation)
The down side is the lowering of your metabolism, the body starts to reserve all spare energy, you will feel the cold, your hair will stop growing (falls out after a while) your will bruise easily.
My advice would be to make an effort to get out of Ketosis, whilst short term fasting is good for the body and brain, longer term will make weigh loss slow down due to the metabolism.

Once you start to introduce carbohydrates into your diet Ketosis should cease.
Sugar, bread, potatoes, fruit and starchy veg..

Hope that helps x

Back