• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liquid Stage: Protein, Kcals, Carbs ??!!??!

excitedbutnervous

If I wasn't food obsessed before my sleeve I have certainly become more so post my sleeve. I am wondering what advice you lovely post op'ers can give me on food consumption. I know protein is important long term, but not sure what I should be focusing on.

For example, I bought the following today (all measurements are per 100ml, and most tins are 400ml):

34 kcals 6.9 Carbs 0.4 Protein 1.2 Protein per Tin-- WW Mediterranian
31 kcals 4.5 Carbs 1.6 Protein 4.8 Protein per Tin -- WW Chicken Soup

41 kcals 6.9 Carbs 1.8 Protein 7.2 Protein per Tin -- Beef Broth with Paprika
47 kcals 6.7 Carbs 2.2 Protein 8.8 Protein per Tin -- Chickpea and Spinach Soup
77 kcals 7.7 Carbs 2.6 Protein 10.4 Protein per Tin -- Chicken Korma Soup
53 kcals 8.5 Carbs 2.7 Protein 10.8 Protein per Tin-- Mulligatawny Soup
59 kcals 9.3 Carbs 2.9 Protein 11.2 Protein per Tin -- Puy Lentil and Tomato

36 kcals 4.7 Carbs 3.6 Protein -- 100ml Glass of Skimmed Milk
99 kcals 6.8 Carbs 4.4 Protein -- 100ml Exante Food Pack

(the blue highlights are what I think are good numbers)

Obviously I know I shouldn't worry too much about calories as I am not even eating 500 a day yet, but worry more so about the carb content.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Last edited:
It is still such early days for you 'excited' and during this liquid stage it's so difficult to get the nutrients in.

Soups are good, but you will feel so full after a tin and those protein amounts are pretty low. I'd try and leave the exante food packs if you can as well. I had them once and then read some horrific info on the contents of them. What about including a shake or two. A ready made slimfast, or I sometimes use the upbeat or Ufit ones which are found in the chiller cabinets. Over 20g protein per bottle.

Lattes are good as you get a good protein dose. And when you're up for thicker things, Danio yogurts are a must.

It is still such early days for you 'excited' and during this liquid stage it's so difficult to get the nutrients in.

Soups are good, but you will feel so full after a tin and those protein amounts are pretty low. I'd try and leave the exante food packs if you can as well. I had them once and then read some horrific info on the contents of them. What about including a shake or two. A ready made slimfast, or I sometimes use the upbeat or Ufit ones which are found in the chiller cabinets. Over 20g protein per bottle.

Lattes are good as you get a good protein dose. And when you're up for thicker things, Danio yogurts are a must.

Ah, the protein amounts are per 100ml, not for the whole tin, so you need to multiply by 4 :)

Danio yogurts look AMAZING... I am only having the normal yogurts at the moment.

Not a fan of slimfast as they are too sweet, hence the reason I went for the Exante ones. Today I have had about 40g of protein overall as I seem to be able to cope with quite a lot of fluid as long as I take it slowly. Today for example I have had 42g of Protein in about 900mls of soup, shakes etc.

Not actually sure how much Protein is good???

What have you heard about Exante? I did these for quite a while with no problems?

I can't find the thing about Exante now - it probably was about 5-6 years ago that I did it. I can remember at the time ordering a months worth because it was so much cheaper than lighter life or Cambridge. Off the top of my head I'm sure it was something to do with the levels of protein:fat:carbs that wasn't in proportion. Or something like that. Anyway, that's only going to matter if you were doing the 3-4 meals per day.

Re: protein. I think we're all told something different. I used to beat myself up if I didn't get to 70g and then my surgeon said not to worry too much, just make sure you eat protein first before the carbs etc. I think I probably get around 65g but only if I have an upbeat or Ufit shake for breakfast. I don't eat meat, only fish and quorn.

It really does sound like you're doing brilliantly. X

Thanks Bear.

Baxters do soups. Consommé or highland game. Check out the protein in those it's loads higher than any others

Ufit from Tesco is lower in carbs while having 22 g of protien. The chocolate is not too bad

Your doing great

Try danio or liberte yoghurts. Stay away from typical diet yoghurts. Greek yoghurt tends to have higher protien and less carbs

I eat low carb and like you seem to be doing, I watched carbs even in the liquid stages

I found the Baxters soup to be s godsend. Why are you eating Ww soup? Forget about the calories right now babe xx

Baxters do soups. Consommé or highland game. Check out the protein in those it's loads higher than any others

Ufit from Tesco is lower in carbs while having 22 g of protien. The chocolate is not too bad

Your doing great

Try danio or liberte yoghurts. Stay away from typical diet yoghurts. Greek yoghurt tends to have higher protien and less carbs

I eat low carb and like you seem to be doing, I watched carbs even in the liquid stages

I found the Baxters soup to be s godsend. Why are you eating Ww soup? Forget about the calories right now babe xx

Thanks Kursty.

I have bought a few baxters, and the carbs are pretty good. Reason for WW as I had them in the house and they are pretty watery at the best of time. Have no intention of buying them going forward ;)

Pretty bored of soup already, although now pleased I can eat 1/2 a tin (200ml) in a single sitting. Also ate a muller light yogurt in one sitting today, so getting stuff in is better. The sittings however are at least 10 mins haha.

I am trying to avoid yogurts as they seem soooooooo high in carbs and although granted really high in protein too. Will get some in a week or so when I am on to thicker yogurts as these might be too thick?

Do you mind me asking you what a normal day is for you now?

Btw I have updated the protein of the items above to be per tin.

Are you blitzing your Baxter soups excited?

Yesterday I blitzed the butternut squash and sweet potato soup and had half with my dalvit drops hidden

I'll get some more if they're ok to have. Already looking forward to mash potato and gravy stage!!!

Thanks Kursty. I have bought a few baxters, and the carbs are pretty good. Reason for WW as I had them in the house and they are pretty watery at the best of time. Have no intention of buying them going forward ;) Pretty bored of soup already, although now pleased I can eat 1/2 a tin (200ml) in a single sitting. Also ate a muller light yogurt in one sitting today, so getting stuff in is better. The sittings however are at least 10 mins haha. I am trying to avoid yogurts as they seem soooooooo high in carbs and although granted really high in protein too. Will get some in a week or so when I am on to thicker yogurts as these might be too thick? Do you mind me asking you what a normal day is for you now? Btw I have updated the protein of the items above to be per tin.

I do "the diet doctor" low carb lifestyle

A good day for me would include some of the below

Breakfast... Mushroom omelette, or tesco finest mackrel fillets with tomatoes. Or a cold meat and cheese platter

Lunch - typically salad with chicken and bacon or feta cheese and advacado salad with bacon

Tea - home made chilli with cauliflower rice. Or. Home made bolognaise with zucchini pasta

Other stuff that I would have as a snack or light meal

A cheese platter with apple smoked Brie and some cheddar

Olives with advacado and sundries tomato

Tuna with mayonnaise and red onions

Strawberries and cream

Cold ham wrapped round laughing cow light cheese triangle

Liberte 3% yoghurt which is low on carbs and high in protein

A handful of almonds or walnuts

A salad with blue cheese and walnuts with a balsamic dressing

Home made sunup. Broccoli and Stilton, home made tomato or a cabbage and tomato soup or cauliflower cheese soup

I sometimes fry cabbage in butter and some onions with bacon or a Mathiesons Cumberland sausage slices throught it

Mathew wiener a bariatric surgeon has a great blog and a Facebook page called A POUND OF CURE giving great video advice for eating long term after WLS. He is a bit too carby for me. But principles are the same, clean eating, real food, if it's been made in a factory and has an ingredient list....don't touch it

I am celiac so stay away from wheat products....this is a lot of stuff lol. I also don't eat rice or potatoes or root veg

But

On a bad day. Add in chocolate, crisps, wine, pizza, and any other binge food

You will find your way just fine.. It's best to make the most of this honeymoon period, change your eating habits. I have actually done this, it's my binge eating and the wine that are my problems

Hi 2/3

Yes I am buzzing my soups as they still have too many lumps in them I think. Opting for the meat or bean ones as they seem to be the highest protein ones. I seem to be able to cope with a lot of liquid so think my 200ml soup just wasn't enough. For example today I had a danio yogurt and 2 tsp of hummus and was really stuffed.

Kirsty that is a really useful insight. I am a tea carb hound so giving them up is going to be hard. However I shall just learn to love meal and fish more ;)

Back