• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LITHIUM? Help Needed

amanda577

Hi all.. Just got back from my pre op assessment, and am now waiting to hear from lindsay the bariatric nurse, and the anaesthetist regarding whether they are going to have to delay my bypass while they research how to deal with my lithium medication after surgery. Just wondered if anyone else here who has been bypassed takes lithium, and how did they absorb it after bypass. My bloods also show that I have a vitamin b12 and a vitamin d and zinc deficiency so have to start b12 injections now and forceval, and thats before I have the bypass!!! All in all not a great day. But hopefully someone here will be able to help regarding the lithium issue.

Sorry to be nosy, but what do you take lithium for?
I know it's used to treat bi polar disorder.
I have cyclothmia, which is a mild form of bi polar and take anti convulsants to control my mood swings, I was just wondering if you take lithium for similar it might be worth seeing if you can change your medication?
Em xxxx

I take tablets 800 mgm daily. And I take lithium for bipolar disorder.

Would it be worth you trying asking your GP to change your meds?

well the bariatric team basically said that they think that changing meds probably be the best option, but if i do then they will have to delay my surgery whilst I stabilise on different medication. so was hoping that lithium would be okay somehow....

Aaaargh it's a no win situation for you isn't it :(
But maybe the lithium will be ok, have you tried researching it yourself online?

Yes have researched it, and there is no hard and fast studies been done as it is quite rare for someone on lithium to undergo gastric bypass. The reports that I did find all just basically said that lithium levels would need careful and diligent monitoring to avoid lithium toxicity etc etc.. The anaesthetist says I am the first case he has ever come across, so I suppose I will just have to go with whatever they decide. It was just such a blow to get there yesterday and then get told this. I just hope it won't mean a great delay in surgery, but hopefully they will phone me today and let me know what was decided yesterday at the mdt meeting...

Its also not just a simple case of "changing meds" Lithium has worked so well for me, it would be quite scary to discontinue it and try something else so really am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now......

Well Really good news!!! Lindsay the bariatric nurse just rang, and she said that the surgery is going ahead as planned, and that Mr Byrom my surgeonis happy for me to carry on with the lithium, just with very careful monitoring post bypass. Thank you for your support and advice over this problem people.... xxxxxxx

Perhaps a depot injection may work better for you post surgery, as that's not absorbed through the gut and intestines ?

That's brilliant news I'm so happy for you.
Lots of luck for your op.
Em xxx

thanks guys... Can't believe I'm back on track again, after all the uncertainty of yesterday.. but think I will ask my psychiatric nurse about that depot injection you mentioned. if that goes straight into the blood stream then maybe that would be a good idea post op. thanks for the suggestion. xxxx

Just noticed evenstarr that your op date is only 11 days after mine!! Good luck to you also xxxx

Thanks Amanda, I'm really excited!
Em xx

Can just imagine you are!!! I feel pretty much the same way now the lithium issue is sorted out.... We will have to keep in touch and compare notes as we are being done so close together, it will be interesting to see how each other fares i think

Definitely!
I'll be bombarding you with questions when you've had your op!

Bombard away!!! I still can't believe it's finally going to happen...

Back