• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Useless GP - B12 problems

Fat Again

Once again Im having problems with my GP.

I had mypass privately as my PCT would not fund the surgery, however this has caused problems with my GP prescribing me associated medicines.

My current GP (I changed recently after having a crap GP before) refused to prescribe me Forceval as it costs too much money, so I have to buy them privately, now he is refusing to give me my B12 injections. I've just had my bloods done and the results were low on B12 and very low on Iron.

Luckily I had a stash of Iron tablets from a previous low count but I don't know what to do about the B12.

He's used the excuse that he has to check with the hospital on how low a level you can go before injections are administrated, but surely any count lower than what it should be warrants them ?

He even questioned why I wanted the blood tests in the first place. He seems to have no medical knowledge regarding a bypass and each time I've seen him I have to remind him thats what I've had done !

Has anyone tried B12 in tablet form, I've seen them advertised on-line ?

I'm no medical expert, but I believe that a lack of B12 can lead to very serious complications. I'd be thinking about a complaint about negligence if he knows you are lacking and is refusing to treat you.

I would make a complaint to PALS for your trust. Also, I take B12 (and B6) in tablet form at twice the recommended dose due to malabsorption. My levels appear to be fine and due help me out. My parents send me mine from the US.

Sorry to hear you having probs. Got to ask my GP tom so will see what she says.

Pity you so far away otherwise you would be welcome to my fortimel as cant take it making me heave and feel sick. Dont like slimfast either so just getting as much protein in as poss

xx

Your doc sounds like a complete moron!Does he know the side effects of B12 deficiency? :mad::mad:
I have the jab every 2 months or so, and can have it when i'm getting exhausted as this is the way I feel when I am ready for a top up;):D

Hi FA, if I were you I would contact my surgeon (or his secretary) or even your dietician and ask him/her to fax a letter across to your GP's surgery asap stating exactly what medication, blood tests etc you need and when. As long as your GP has had a written request for this your GP cannot refuse to treat you.

Cuppa xx

Hi FA, if I were you I would contact my surgeon (or his secretary) or even your dietician and ask him/her to fax a letter across to your GP's surgery asap stating exactly what medication, blood tests etc you need and when. As long as your GP has had a written request for this your GP cannot refuse to treat you.

Cuppa xx
Good thinking cuppa:D:D

i think all GPs must have been to a convention recently where they have all learned to become 1st class knobs as mine has just given me a right telling off for only losing 3 pounds in 2 weeks ( i have lost almost 8 stone since November) stupid GPs should be more informed on bariatric care I think xxxx

i think all GPs must have been to a convention recently where they have all learned to become 1st class knobs as mine has just given me a right telling off for only losing 3 pounds in 2 weeks ( i have lost almost 8 stone since November) stupid GPs should be more informed on bariatric care I think xxxx
I just replied on your thread hun.Tbh I think most gps know booger all about bariatric surgery;)I am the only bypasser in my practice of over 2000 people!!:eek::eek:
We'll have to teach them what to do lol:D:D:D

Cuppa xx

Believe it or not my GP received this straight after my surgery !!!!!!!

I feel so blessed to have the most marvellous GP and practice who monitor me closely and will do anything necessary to keep me healthy.

I am so sorry to hear about your GPs :(
I had my surgery done privately but my GPs are brilliant and I see my GP about once a month and they prescribe me all the vitamins etc that I need and there has never been any problems over the B12 jab.
I think your GPs are being very negligent, especially if they have had everything in writing from your surgeon telling them what you need. I know you have only changed GPs recently, but to have to explain each time you go in that you have had a bypass is just wrong - I am not saying they should remember every single patient but they could at least read the bl**dy notes!!! :mad::mad:
Good luck anyway hun, I hope you get something sorted. :hug99:
It makes me feel really lucky to have such a fantastic GPs!
:party0011::party0049: Xxx em xxX :party0049::party0011:

Oh goodness. I have this worry too as my GP still hasn't sorted out my medication. Luckily my op was only 3 weeks ago and the hospital assured me that I shouldn't become deficient before 3 months (few months of pleading left!).

I really hope you manage to get it sorted out soon. I just can't believe that they are not giving you what you need when your blood shows you are deficient. Surely if you'd just popped in feeling unwell and found out you were low they would have sorted it by now! Some GPs are shocking :(

My gp doesnt seem to know much about bariatric surgery but lucky enough he will do whatever is asked for by chichester like prescriptions, tests ect. The gp was a bit dubious of the whole thing at first but now he has seen the weight loss and the other weight related problems dissapearing he seems to have come on side. I think its all a bit new for a lot of gps many of them havent actually had patients who have been for bariatric surgery before.

On the B12 subject the centrum performance multivits im taking at the moment have 1800% (thats not a typing mistake)of the rda of B12 and they are on 3 for the price of 2 at tescos :D

I too had my bypass privately but i also have a great gp who has readily prescribed all my medication required in fact its all on repeat prescription. They are just delighted that i am healthy and have lost so much weight. As for B12 jabs as i have said before my surgeon has told me i don't need them so havn't explored that one! I do however take vit B complex tablets from Boots and my recent blood tests indicate that vit b12 is fine ( i'm 8 months post op). I would def do what you can to get your medication because private or not you are still entitled to medication on the NHS and if there are any problems for you as a result of not getting these jabs is he going to refuse to treat you? I think not. Good Luck i hope you get it sorted soon xx

Back