• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Morbid and not for the faint hearted but...

I am in total agreement with Purple Princess - forget statistics and balance it out for yourself - the weight causing a morbidity is pure fact its gonna happen so I decided not to sit and wait for my heart attack at 45 like dad and chose life...and a wee op is the path I am taking :)

Bullyfun just let the man or woman on the bed next to you go before you (how bad was that thought sorry)

I keep thinking about it and am worried but there is nothing more i can do, my mum said well wahts teh chance of you going outside and bing hit by a bus ? yes but I always look both ways and dont step out till the green man flashes ! ooh errr
None of us can say that we would put the op off through fear of dying so in the end we all must think that its well worth the chance of not x

Bullyfun just let the man or woman on the bed next to you go before you (how bad was that thought sorry)

hope no one here is in the next bed to me wednesday morning coz it will happen .... :wave_cry:

You could be hit by a car whilst crossing the road LOL.

If we analyzed the risks of everything we did, we would all stay at home wrapped in our duvets. Yeah there is a risk with any surgery but the risk of not having it outweighs it I feel.

Look how many people post on this site and have had their ops and are still here! Think past the 'what ifs' to the 'whats going to be' which is fabulous and wonderful!

I cant remember where I read it but I read a statistic that post-op patients for WLS are actually statistically more likely to die of something else post-op (as in in their lifetime after the op, not immediately) such as accidents etc which really annoyed me because I didnt quite see why that would happen. Then again, I am more ditsy since the op and I am walking around in such a happy daze that Im shocked that I havent hurt myself already lmao
Like I say, I cant recall where I read that but it was a WLS site somewhere, I personally think that its a pile of poop but hey ho lol
Just dont worry about it, you'll be fine and will get to the other side of the surgery and wonder what you were so worried about.
Steph xx

Errr i wasn't worried, i just hoped that who gave me the original way off stats would see all the responses and not give them to anyone else scaring them unnecessarily...

I knew it was cobblers but didnt like to say it meself :) and you guys sending in patient number 200 first are bad to the bone lol x

My surgeon said it was 2% but that he had had 2 patients out of 1700. He also said these were high risk patients and one of these may have died anyway as it was an ongoing heart problem.

l like your surgeons stats x

I was told 1 in 200 for a bypass and 1 in 100 for a duodenal switch.
My surgeon was one of the pioneers of laparoscopic surgery in this country and has never lost a patient.

Angela
am liking them odds.....

I knew it was cobblers but didnt like to say it meself :) and you guys sending in patient number 200 first are bad to the bone lol x

WHAAAAT you mean i have bones under here !!!! :D

Back