• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mother reveals how gastric bypass op starved unborn baby to death

I've just read this story in the Sun. Very sad, but there are stories of successful pregnancies following surgery. This was just incredibly unlucky. Don't understand how the pregnancy wasn't picked up by the urine and blood tests in hospital though.

Yes I also wonder how they didn't know. Why not do a quick test by default, knowing that it would be very risky if one was pregnant when having a bypass.

how very sad :( so glad theres no more babies for me x

That is so sad. Poor girl. It would be a good idea to do a routine pregnancy test on all fertile ladies.

How very, very sad :cry: hopefully a one off. With all the bloods that are taken pre'op it would be very simple to do a routine pregnancy test but even then there are the odd ones who would be so early on, that it would not show. My daughter had 2 negative tests before a positive one. Hope this poor lady finds peace after such a trauma :sigh:

Yep routine tests shoud be done on all fertile ladies.She was on the pill but it should be done anyway.I was asked about pregnancy but laughed my head off at 56 and having had a hysterectomy it was fair to say I wasnt!

Aww that is so sad, I really feel for her, Karen x

very sad - when i went for my op I was asked to provide a urine sample so they could do a pregnancy test just b4 op. It obv isnt routine everywhere- but should be

I have to say though, the bypass worked for her, she looks amazing!!!

Back