• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this with loads of questions! Surgery abroad in Belgium? Band or sleeve or bypass?

Barne

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I've been reading posts here for a while now but I have only just signed up to ask for some advice. (I don't know if I am posting in the most relevant place, sorry!)

Background- I'm 24. I have been thinking about surgery for a long time now but I decided a few months ago that it is definitely what I want. I will be funding this privately but I can't really afford the costs of private treatment in the UK so I have been looking at surgeries abroad.

The one I have settled on is Belgium Surgery Services as I have heard a lot of good things about Dr Chris. Has anyone here had surgery with Dr Chris? I'd love to hear about what you thought.

I have a consultation booked for a few days time and I have spoken with Bart a few times via email. I am really nervous about the consultation as it is the first step of the journey! What kind of things are they likely to ask?

I am looking forward to finding out more about each of the procedures. I am currently thinking I would like the mini bypass, but I have also been thinking a lot about the sleeve and band.

Another question I have is- if I go abroad to have surgery, will I still be given a sick note for work? Do I have to go to my ordinary GP when I return from Belgium to obtain one? Are they likely to give me one? I'm a bit confused as to how it works!

Also, what did people tell their bosses they were having? Were you honest about your surgery or did you keep it private? I would quite like to keep my surgery private at work, and I'm struggling of what to say to my manager.

Sorry for the long post!

Hi

Sorry I have only just seen this. I had surgery with Dr Chris just over 2 years ago. The consultation is very relaxed and friendly and nothing to worry about. Bart and Frederik are lovely and more than happy to answer any questions you have. They probably outline the different surgeries and talk about which may be best for you.

Dr Chris will give you a discharge letter to take to your GP. I had already told mine that I was going to Belgium for surgery (he had referred me for NHS treatment but my hospital sets very high criteria) and he was happy to sign me off and prescribe all my meds.

I didn't tell my boss initially what surgery I was having, my certificate just said abdominal surgery. I did eventually tell him and he was fine about it but it is entirely up to you how much you tell them

Lynn x

Dr Chris, Bart & Fredrick are all amazing! I had surgery over a year ago now with Chris and I haven't got a bad word to say about any of them. I returned this year with my younger sister and caught up with Bart & he was happy to see me & how well things had gone. I also had a mini bypass, by far recommend it (mum started on a band and converted at the same time my sister had hers). 3 of us in our family have been there & we met an Irish family where they were on their 8th person who had flown over! That's how highly they are regarded. I am unsure about the sick note side of things I am afraid as I booked 1 week annual leave to go and worked from home for the next week. Although I was honest with my bosses and they knew what I was having.
A little pic below for inspiration. Best of luck xx
Collage 2017-05-25 14_23_39.jpg

Thank you both so much for your replies! (You look incredible by the way Tia!)

I had a consultation today and met Bart. He was really helpful and answered all my questions.

I've decided to just book the time off work as annual leave, so I don't have to worry about what to tell them.

I'm pretty much decided on the mini bypass now. I've done loads of research and Bart really recommended it for me too which was reassuring. Looks like I'm going to be looking at an early august date! So not too long to wait!

How did both of you decide to pay? He said either bank transfer (I think I'd use transferwise) or cash. It feels really odd to take that amount of cash with us though!

Hi

I did a bank transfer, I think I used Currencies Direct as they had the best exchange rate at the time.

Lynn x

Thanks Lynn

I'll check them out when the time comes

I'm just waiting for an email back from Bart now to confirm my surgery date so I can book transport!

I am really glad to hear the positive feedback about them - I am going for a consult in a couple of weeks after being let down by a UK company (Scotland is not an easy place to get a bypass done). All the best Barne!!

Hey everyone.

Thought I'd come here to ask some advice. I leave for Belgium on Thursday. I paid the money to BSS over a week ago but they haven't confirmed they have received my money.

I emailed Bart again yesterday evening and received a response this morning saying they will check at the end of this week! The end of this week is too late and I'm really starting to panic. I've explained to them how close my surgery is but I don't know what else I can do.

I know nobody can really help but has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to leave the country before even knowing they have got my money. It's a huge amount of money and a major stress to add on top to everything else I'm worrying about :(

Hey everyone.

Thought I'd come here to ask some advice. I leave for Belgium on Thursday. I paid the money to BSS over a week ago but they haven't confirmed they have received my money.

I emailed Bart again yesterday evening and received a response this morning saying they will check at the end of this week! The end of this week is too late and I'm really starting to panic. I've explained to them how close my surgery is but I don't know what else I can do.

I know nobody can really help but has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to leave the country before even knowing they have got my money. It's a huge amount of money and a major stress to add on top to everything else I'm worrying about :(

Not long now bbe, I really dnt know on this one but I would advise u to take a copy of your bank statement with you, proving the amount paid. They wont pay for ur flight, accomadation etc and send u home - as it wud be a fanancial loss for them.

Dont worry bbe, sure is all in hand.

Xxxx

Back