• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

UK or abroad? Sleeve or band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshByrd

I've made the decision that I'm going to have surgery. I'm almost 50 and every diet I've tried have had only short term results. I need something in addition to willpower if I'm ever going to loose weight long term and change my lifestyle. I'm going to have to fund it myself as in Wales it's really difficult to get funding. My dilemma is whether to have a sleeve done abroad or a band in the UK. These are my choices financially speaking. Where can I find unbiased reviews of surgery providers? Is there a provider abroad who does UK follow ups?

countrywench

Hello Bird ! Welcome !
I had to self fund .. I chose to have a gastric band , because that's all could afford . Once I'd made my mind up I didn't want to wait another year while I saved up for other surgery , and to be honest I'd always thought about a band being fitted and not other types of surgery ..
I had mine fitted in 5th April , £5950 , though these guys http://www.obesitysurgerycentre.com
So helpful and friendly from the very 1st phone call and never once hassled me into making a definite choice of date ..
I had one fitted at the Spire in Southampton by Dr Byrnes .. I havnt missed a beat since .. No side affects , no sickness , only weight loss of 4 stone so far . My BMI was 53 so I have a lot to lose .. I have my second band fill tomorrow .. I have 5mls so far .
Going abroad was taken off the table for me by my family as they donated funds towards my surgery , they didn't want me going abroad , so that was never an option or thought for me ..
Whichever route you choose , make sure you study , listen and choose wisely for you and your life style .. Be realistic as its not an easy road and it's not a magic wand that will work on its own as whatever surgery you have , you have to work hard along side it to make it work ..
Xxxxx

Tia4908

Hi, I have not had a band (or sleeve) like Mindy above, however I can give you my view on going abroad.

I chose Belgium Surgery Services with Dr Chris Debruyne & I could not fault them in the slightest, they were amazing. Bart & Fred ( Dr Chris' team) come to England every 2 weeks I believe and are available post surgery & to do your fills (if you choose a band)

Both myself & mum went a week apart, mum had a band & I had a mini bypass & I am hoping by weigh in tomorrow I will have hit my 4 stone loss too.

Financially a band will set you back €4250 & a sleeve €6500 so plenty of savings to be made, all you need to do is book your flights / eurostar. Hotel stay for you + 1 is included for the duration along with transfers to & from the station/airport.

From a biased view, I would recommend the mini bypass too as it has turned my life around, but I am not pushing that on you, just an avenue to explore should you wish.

Best of luck, looking forward to hearing about your journey xx

Branches

Hi, I have not had a band (or sleeve) like Mindy above, however I can give you my view on going abroad.

I chose Belgium Surgery Services with Dr Chris Debruyne & I could not fault them in the slightest, they were amazing. Bart & Fred ( Dr Chris' team) come to England every 2 weeks I believe and are available post surgery & to do your fills (if you choose a band)

Both myself & mum went a week apart, mum had a band & I had a mini bypass & I am hoping by weigh in tomorrow I will have hit my 4 stone loss too.

Financially a band will set you back €4250 & a sleeve €6500 so plenty of savings to be made, all you need to do is book your flights / eurostar. Hotel stay for you + 1 is included for the duration along with transfers to & from the station/airport.

From a biased view, I would recommend the mini bypass too as it has turned my life around, but I am not pushing that on you, just an avenue to explore should you wish.

Thank you for this I have a Sleeve booked with Dr Chris on 5th August, nice to hear good feedback!

Welshbyrd - Unfortunately no one can answer that question for you, and you will need to do your research and decide you best path.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge though from those that have had surgery here and abroad. Good luck :)

WelshByrd

Thanks for your replies. What is the best way to research the providers? I've seen that some have reviews on their websites but I wanted some independent reviews. I may be missing something but there isn't a place on here that looks as individual providers is there?
I think I'm more or less decided that a mini bypass in Prague would be the best option for me. Prague because there are direct flights from my nearest airport. Any information and advice/personal experiences very welcome.

top_kat

Read and Google and search on forums is a great way to start. I had my band fitted by Healthier weight just under 4 years ago, I'm currently in Belgium about to have surgery tomorrow for a band to mini gastric bypass conversion.

I researched HW for so many years but you never truly find out until after....

I'm booked with Belgium Surgery Services for my conversion and everything has been great so far...I would say research surgeons as well as providers....

Time to be free

Read and Google and search on forums is a great way to start. I had my band fitted by Healthier weight just under 4 years ago, I'm currently in Belgium about to have surgery tomorrow for a band to mini gastric bypass conversion.

I researched HW for so many years but you never truly find out until after....

I'm booked with Belgium Surgery Services for my conversion and everything has been great so far...I would say research surgeons as well as providers....

Hi I am planning on going to Brussels for August 4th for surgery with dr dillemans . I live in Denmark and am currently looking into either uk or Brussels but am Afraid of the horrer stories involved in uk hospitals unless anyone can advise me otherwise??

top_kat

Hi I am planning on going to Brussels for August 4th for surgery with dr dillemans . I live in Denmark and am currently looking into either uk or Brussels but am Afraid of the horrer stories involved in uk hospitals unless anyone can advise me otherwise??

I went to Brussels and cannot rate the level of care or the cleanliness of the hospital highly enough. Surgery in the UK would have been almost 3 times the cost compared to what I paid. You will get horror stories wherever you look at, to me the surgeon was more important than some other factors, but I went via Belgium Surgery Services and had great service.

SUNSHINE

I went to Brno Crzech republic. It was first class. Own Pvt room for 5 days. The surgeons and stuff were excellent. Almost 4 weeks post op and doing great.

Time to be free

I went to Brussels and cannot rate the level of care or the cleanliness of the hospital highly enough. Surgery in the UK would have been almost 3 times the cost compared to what I paid. You will get horror stories wherever you look at, to me the surgeon was more important than some other factors, but I went via Belgium Surgery Services and had great service.
Thanks so much for your quick reply!! Did you also have dr dillemans?? Also what was your experimence with pain and being able to travel back within the allocated time slot of discharge on Friday and travel on sat??

Branches

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! Did you also have dr dillemans?? Also what was your experimence with pain and being able to travel back within the allocated time slot of discharge on Friday and travel on sat??

I am going to Belgium for a Sleeve on 5th August with Dr Chris Debruyne. I have only heard good things about him. People say the travel is not too bad. But you do stay in hosp 2 nights with them and then 1 night in a hotel before travelling back.

I don't think the UK hospitals are horror stories at all, especially if you are paying for surgery as you would be in a private hosp. But price wise it is a lot more money. Pretty much double the Belgium prices.

Time to be free

I am going to Belgium for a Sleeve on 5th August with Dr Chris Debruyne. I have only heard good things about him. People say the travel is not too bad. But you do stay in hosp 2 nights with them and then 1 night in a hotel before travelling back.

I don't think the UK hospitals are horror stories at all, especially if you are paying for surgery as you would be in a private hosp. But price wise it is a lot more money. Pretty much double the Belgium prices.

Ah ok. Well as I live in Denmark, both U.K. And Brussels are options and uk is DEFINATELY a lot more expensive .

top_kat

No my conversion was via Chris de Bruyne. Surgery Friday was discharged to hotel on the Sunday afternoon and flew home Friday. There was a lady who had a sleeve flew home the day before but mgb was 5 days. I stopped Iain relief in early hours of the Sunday morning and I've not taken anything since.

I travelled alone and had no issues travelling home at all. In fact if it wasn't for my bruises and wounds and the fact I don't feel hungry I wouldn't know I'd had anything done :)

ladilindy

I had an RNY Bypass with Dr Chris 16 months ago - I spent 2 nights in hospital, 2 nights in the hotel and travelled home alone via Eurostar and coach with no problem

Lynn x

Time to be free

Wow ladies you seemed to have done so so well!! I hope that I am in the same boat. Fingers crossed. My date has come for 4th August . It's getting very close .

marcusbm

I've heard good things about Dr Chris. Personally I opted for Dr Dillemans as it was a more complicated procedure and he's a world leader with RNY. Dr Chris is more famous for MGB. From what I can make out it's comparing apples and pears - two very skilled surgeons.

Hello, I too am having a gastric sleeve with Dr Chris De Bruyne on 8th November - how did it go for you and how are you doing?

Sandie Reece

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I think its time for a reminder of some of the forum rules, having moved several posts today with links to Facebook, links to surgeons websites etc.

We do not allow this for a variety of reasons. First there's the competition aspect of encouraging our members away from this forum, then there's the very real possibility people will make some sort of gain by pushing their preferred surgeon / supplier.

We are a support forum, not a means to bypassing your own research which you must do - yourself, please. Or for recommending one form of surgery / surgeon over another.

Google is a great tool and its very easy to find the sort of information being asked for.

Please stick to using the forum as it should be!

This thread will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.