• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from n.ireland

Hi everyone!!!

After many, many unsuccessful attempts to lose weight (and keep it off!), I've now accepted that surgery may be my only chance of achieving a healthy weight. I'm from N.Ireland - chances of NHS funding is zero - so here I am reading your (hugely inspirational stories). My BMI is currently 42. I also work for the NHS, & have to care for morbidly obese patients, & I know I have NO credibility coz I'm so big myself. I'm worried about my health - heart disease runs in the family. My mum was very thin & died suddenly at the age if 59. And finally, it'd be so nice to wear trendy clothes & heels again..... Can't afford UK prices, so considering going to Belgium. I wish you all continuing success - hopefully I'll be on the 'losers' bench' sometime soon too.
Tandydadder ( weird name, I know) after many attempts to choose one not already in use, my 9yr old came up with this. No idea wot inspired it!!!

Hello and welcome xx

It's great to have you with us! Welcome x I know we have a lot of members who have been to Belgium for their surgery and I have read a lot of glowing reports!
Do lots of reading and I'm sure you'll pick up tons of info from the great folks here xxx All the best x

hi tandy, and welcome. you will find alot of inspiration on this forum but as well as that u will get comfort, reassurance and lots of advice. so keep reading peoples diaries and tips. as you know i went to Belguim 3 weeks ago and i am well on the mend. check on the different consultants. mine was dr chris de bryane. his price was quite reasonable (about 2-3 thousand cheaper than uk). google him. anyway good luck what ever u choose xx

Hello and a warm welcome. xx

Hi Newbie from n Ireland. I'm from ni too. I've booked my surgery for 12july and I just can't contain myself. I soooo wish it was here.

Hi maura I'm going to chris de bruyne as well - any hints or tips in hindsight???

hi ankaas - i am from ni too lol - bit like ulsterbus here - has been no-one fron ni on here for ages except for me & now we have 4 of us lol.

Your weight loss has been absolutely brilliant. I'm sooooo happy for you and very envious as well! Maybe we could start up our own support group ??

i would love to ankaas - there is def a need for it here in NI.
I am really pleased with my weight loss so far - hasnt been easy all the time but def best thing I have ever done absolutely no regrets - u havent too long to wait until urs and then u will do gr8 too x

So chuffed for u both. I'm still at the research/saving up stage!! Thinking of having the wrap done through cosmetic bliss. £5000 all in. Might have to extend the mortgage! Fingers crossed I'll find a way to fund it. In the meantime will keep buying lottery tickets every week lol! X

lol tandyadder - maybe i should start doing the lottery for getting rid of my excess skin. Spoke with GP on FRiday - no hope of getting it in Northern Ireland on NHS, which I kind of thought would be case

Hey tandydander as I have said I'm going to Belgium - 4100 euros (£3900) 250 euro -(£210) down as deposit and the rest in cash when i get there. Price of a small car really but that's for the band.

Hi maura I'm going to chris de bruyne as well - any hints or tips in hindsight???

well ankaas hes a very good surgeon. ur fee shod include taxi trips and hotel stay. r u taking someone with u?
first thing - take soluble pain relief (for after surgery)
the staff speak good english and most are very friendly and the hospital is very clean.
make sure you inform airport staff that u have had surgery and they will provide aid for you to get to and from aeroplane ( i didnt know about this until i arrived home)
you are in good hands xx

Hey tandydander as I have said I'm going to Belgium - 4100 euros (£3900) 250 euro -(£210) down as deposit and the rest in cash when i get there. Price of a small car really but that's for the band.

did u book through frederick or bridget? i booked thru bridget and only because i read on another site that fredeerick (dr chris's righthand man) offers taxi fares and hotel for the same price than bridget that she then offered me hotel stay free,,,, make sure u get this.she also give me £50 off final fee because she didnt provide a taxi................

let me know if u get this;)

Hi Maura I've only recovered your messages. Still finding my way round this site. I've booked through bridget. What do you mean she gave the hotel free? Should I ring her and ask. I'm taking my sister in law and daughter and we were going to stay in hotel ibis near the hospital or should we stay in the one that Bridget has suggested in vilvoorde?

Back