• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newcomers - welcome, but eep!

Dub07

Hi Pierce

When I hit the new post button, I get screens full of pretty anodyne and automatic newbie welcomes. Now, I'm not so far away from being a newbie myself, so I'm not suggesting you stop welcoming them. ~mutters~ Buuuuuut, I didn't even realise I'd got a message for ages - long past the appropriate time to say anything. My bad. How'never - Is there any way to send it as a private message to the new joiner? Or for non newbies to do a "new post" zap without bringing up this congestion?

:eek:

You can PM or receive PM's til you have 50 posts under your belt Im afraid so that wouldnt work The welcomes arent automatic though, if theyre coming up in your new post list its because someone has added to the thread. I know it can be kind of annoying at times but when I joined the 'welcome' thread really motivated me and made me feel part of the site

mmm know what you are saying, they do take over a bit (& i never got one :()

bet ya did, though, Pandy - try a search?

Starlight - yeah - I know, I know and I'm not whining. It just seems an artificial way to inflate the posts on what is undoubtedly a brilliant and well-visited site.

I've looked at a load of the multiple-replied to newcomer welcome threads and few if any (actually none that I've seen) have been replied to by their "intended" recipients. It takes most newbies a while to discover that "new post" button, by which time their welcome has long since vanished into the 8th or umpteenth page. There has to be a better way that's all.

~stepping carefully off the soap-box~

You can PM or receive PM's til you have 50 posts under your belt Im afraid so that wouldnt work The welcomes arent automatic though, if theyre coming up in your new post list its because someone has added to the thread. I know it can be kind of annoying at times but when I joined the 'welcome' thread really motivated me and made me feel part of the site

I think it's lovely that members take the time to welcome new members:cool:

Great way to get the messages to 'disappear' is to add your own welcome to the thread, then it'll disappear by magic;)

Oh yes you did;)
http://www.minimins.com/newcomers/5166-hello-welcome-pandora-2-minimins.html

If anyone even starts a thread it appears though. And I lurk - try not to post too much cos I'm way too verbose. So I only got to 50 posts the other day after a loooong time lurking.

And of course, KD it's nice to welcome the newbies - IF THEY SEE IT! :p I didn't, Pandy didn't. Are you calling us dumb blondes? Cos I'm brunette, I'll have you know.

LOL !!

Starlight - yeah - I know, I know and I'm not whining. It just seems an artificial way to inflate the posts on what is undoubtedly a brilliant and well-visited site.

I dont see it as a way to inflate the posts at all. Any forum Ive registered with before has never welcomed members, you just join and noone notices. Being welcomed on Minimins was part of the reason I got so enthusiastic about it.

Maybe a lot of people dont see it, but a lot do. I think a personal welcome is just one of the things that makes Minimins so friendly

Are you calling us dumb blondes?

Ummmm:confused:
Maybe a lot of people dont see it, but a lot do. I think a personal welcome is just one of the things that makes Minimins so friendly

Agreed :clap:

Cool beanz, Starlight.
You've been here a lot longer than me and I'm sure you have a much better grip on what the new members experience and think.

I don't intend to check on every new member who joins and lurks, looked at a number of the "welcome xxxx" threads and they were all seeming to be rote messages. I do try to be supportive to those who post with a query which isn't responded to by more experienced folk.

I'll try and find a work around for my niggle. :rolleyes: Not a complaint. Just a niggle. If it's perfect, entropy has set in.

I definately don't sit for hours (especially the case after I have been away for a few days) to simply inflate the post numbers I do it because I think it is rather lovely to get a personal message. I do copy and paste now as there are so many new members. At first i used to write an original one for every member but it meant I could not keep up on many threads.
Irene xx

I definately don't sit for hours (especially the case after I have been away for a few days) to simply inflate the post numbers I do it because I think it is rather lovely to get a personal message. I do copy and paste now as there are so many new members. At first i used to write an original one for every member but it meant I could not keep up on many threads.
Irene xx

EEEEppp.. see - this is where folks get offended and I get flustered. Sponsors and advertisers smirk.

a) my message was directed at Pierce because
b) I thought I had identified a niggle
c) you're a lovely bunch and very supportive to the highest heights and
d) I'd not be here a month later if I didn't genuinely think that but
e) if the newbies don't actually SEE their welcome posts within a valid time-period, isn't a debate into how to make them more accessible or stop wasting existing members' time worthy of a non-judgemental few minutes? And the wasting time applies to the sweet souls who take the time to post to them as well as the grouchy ones in newly established ketosis who are inclined to bite at everything in reach

You can get rid of them from the "new posts"

go to the forum here:

http://www.minimins.com/newcomers/

At the right of the blue bar that is just before all the thread listings is a button called "Forum Tools".

When you click this a menu pops up.

Click "mark forum read".

This will remove all posts from "new posts".

markreaduf5.gif

Pierce

I DO see what youre saying but youll find almost all the newcomers posted are posted on in the first day or at most the 2nd after they registered. I think you'll find most threads start and 'stop' within maybe a 24 - 72 hour period. I know I do reply to lots of them but I dont think anyone trawls back over pages and pages of them. If theres a lot it usually means a lot of people have registered. :) I dont know how we can make it easier for people to find them. Personally the Newcomers section was one of the first I visited when I joined.

I dont think theres any way round it... unless Pierce knows otherwise :)

And noones offended ;)

Blimey Pierce, you learn something every day on here... I didnt know you could do that lol

Well knock me down with a feather!!!!!

I too find the newcomers posts on New Post difficult to navigate around but appreciate their value.

Perfect solution, one click and they're all gone.

Genius!!!! Pierce, you are such a star!!!!

ask and you shall recieve!

Unless your dub07.. then you click mark all forums read at the very top of the page on the 3rd blue bar... :p

Back