• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS funding: how does it really work?

At my current weight, I think I'd just qualify for funding by my local PCT (BMI 45+, if no co-morbidities - I haven't been tested for sleep apnoea or high cholesterol). The thing is, I'm quite good at losing weight, particularly if set a target and given external monitoring. The problem, obviously, is keeping it off.

If you lose a "decent" amount of weight during the period of "psychological and dietetic intervention", is surgery automatically ruled out? If you feel that surgery is the only way forward, do you deliberately have to fail at attempted weight loss, in order to stay in with a chance? How does this really work?

HH

no hun i think once on the route for surgery any losses work in your favour as the less you weigh the safer surgery is! they take it as comitment to your surgery.

welcome to WLSurgery hun and good luck on your journey xxx

As long as you meet the criteria at the time that they apply for funding, losing weight afterwards won't go against you. I'm aiming to lose 3 stone before surgery if I can as 3 stone seems to be my limit with each diet before I begin to gain again.

no hun i think once on the route for surgery any losses work in your favour as the less you weigh the safer surgery is! they take it as comitment to your surgery.
welcome to WLSurgery hun and good luck on your journey xxx

That's very positive, thanks.

According to the PCT guidelines, the routes to surgery (unless it's recommended straightaway) are "supported weight loss with dietician follow-up; up to 6 appointments including group sessions" or "combination of psychological & dietetic intervention; up to 6 appointments". There's then a "consultant review" and "local MDT discussion" before a final decision is made on surgery. Is this the way it works elsewhere?

As long as you meet the criteria at the time that they apply for funding, losing weight afterwards won't go against you. I'm aiming to lose 3 stone before surgery if I can as 3 stone seems to be my limit with each diet before I begin to gain again.

Thanks. If I see my GP now and she agrees to refer, will funding be applied for straightaway? I'm desperate to make a start on losing weight, but am aware that I'm probably hovering around the BMI 45 rate at the moment.

it all depends on your pct and your surgeon. for me, funding wasn't applied for until i'd had tons of pre-op tests. For others from my local bariatric support group, funding was applied for at the beginning. I think perhaps they delayed applying for mine til I was heavier.

my pct doesn't offer any weight management schemes either. it's straight from referral to op with no classes or diets to do inbetween.

not sure hun as for me i didnt have to apply for funding at all, my area funds automatically! suppose there all different - have a word with your gp!
where abouts are you from? then maybe someone from the same area will be able to update you more on your pct.

I agree hun, have a word with your GP he or she should know how it works....its hard for us to advice really as all the PCT's are so different :D Good Luck though! XX

At my current weight, I think I'd just qualify for funding by my local PCT (BMI 45+, if no co-morbidities - I haven't been tested for sleep apnoea or high cholesterol). The thing is, I'm quite good at losing weight, particularly if set a target and given external monitoring. The problem, obviously, is keeping it off.

If you lose a "decent" amount of weight during the period of "psychological and dietetic intervention", is surgery automatically ruled out? If you feel that surgery is the only way forward, do you deliberately have to fail at attempted weight loss, in order to stay in with a chance? How does this really work?

HH

My pct if ur bmi is over 50 you are automatically given funding, i went to a forum meeting and the nurse confirmed that all of us there had funding. and even if we lose weight in the process while waiting we still get the surgery
i saw my gp in march, had my forum meeting in may 3rd
it sounds like pcts have very different outlooks on wls

hi ya im in walsall i was referred by my gp september 2010 , in january 2011 i was put on a 6 months weight management programme . diet, lifestyle intervention, and the gym i also opted to see there psychologist as i thought this may help me getting the surgery, in april i was referreed to see the consultant who gave me weight loss tablets ( AGAIN) I have not lgot long left before the end of my course then i go back to see the consultant .I dont know what will happen then all i do know is they have to proove that all aveneues have been tried 1st before funding is applied for but as we all well know each ptc is VERY diffrent in the way it works. Good luck on your journey hun xxx

Back