• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No Pre-Op Diet?

BrianT

Illegitimis nil carborund
Has anybody had surgery without a pre-op diet or had to be on one for less than 10 days?
I've just got my letter telling me pre-op assessment is on the 14th of September with surgery on the 23rd.
Getting nervous now :eek:

i agree with maz,,,,,,,,dont risk it , just do it for yourself love,lucky you with the new date ,,, xxxx good luck xxxx

where are you having yours? up the road from me? im chelsea and westminster x

Give them a ring to double check Brian, best to be on the safe side!

Good luck x

so exciting!! i would start the pre op diet now if it where me (i wish!) can't hurt :)

I agree with everyone else, Brian (it is the sheep in me) Ring the hospital, hunnie. The pre op diet will help you before & after the op, before to shrink your liver & after as you will be used to a liquid diet. Don't risk them not doing the op at the last minute. You really would be gutted & not in the way you expected ... :eek: xx

Good luck with the pre-op diet. I am sure you will do very well. I have been on the pre-op diet for 11 days now and have stuck to it like glue and have only lost 5lbs so am a little concerned. However, last time I was on it I lost only 8lbs and they went ahead and did it no problem. The Bariatric nurse did tell me that as I had a gastric band my liver would probably be small'ish anyway so not to worry. But you know what we are like, I DO worry.

I keep comforting myself thinking well I am paying a lot of money for this so I doubt if they will just not do it. I think the worse that happens as far as a laproscopic surgery goes is that they would switch to open surgery if the liver was enlarged.

I am sure you will do fine and lose a shedload of weight on your pre-op diet. However I have heard of people on here who have not had a pre-op diet. Was reading through some old posts :D

However I have heard of people on here who have not had a pre-op diet. Was reading through some old posts :D

I've been trawling around the net this evening looking this up and like everything else it does seem to be Surgeon dependant. Some have been on Pre-Op diets for 2 weeks, other for 1 week and some none at all.
I don't have problem doing a diet I was just concerned as others have posted of waking up from the anaesthetic to be told "we couldn't do it because you liver was too big"
I will ring them on Monday and see what they say and update this post.

Thank you all as ever though :thankyou:

Dont worry about losing weight on the preop diet its to shrink the liver and make it easy to move out of the way to get the instruments in.The liver releases glycogen I think and becomes soft.I was on mine for just 9 days as my op was brought forward.Maz x

I never had to do a pre-op diet, so it does seem to be down to the surgeon.

That's a thought. There is a thread on here with loads of different pre-op diets. The one I was put on is the one that can be found on the BOSPA website. The strict calorie controlled one.

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Hope you find it useful and can't hurt to start on it. If they change it to the milk diet it won't matter. I believe a lot of people do this diet and then switch to the milk diet in the final week.

Back