• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

nurse at sunderland royal

christine1957

hi iv had my seminar and got my app to see nurse what sort of questions she asks you and what happens after that does she decide if you can have the opp or is it when you see the doctor how many app do you have to go to some say 3 i need info on everything can anyone tell me what happens from seeing the nurse no one has said anything about funding to me please help me out i so much want to say and do the rite things :eek: thanks any info will be a help to me as i said i dont no anything x

Hi Christine,

When I had my appointment with the nurse last year I was asked my current diet. Which op I would prefer and general personal health questions. You will get weighed and BP. I am sure there is someone who will know for absolutly surety exactly what she will ask. They are all very nice at Sunderland Royal. They know that people who go there are nervous and once your introduced you will relax. You will see a dietician after you have seen the nurse and they are lovely too :)
Believe me everyone gets nervous at all the stages they go through and its natural. I used to work at SRH and one of my jobs was to pick up medical files at PAAC. Yvonne and the other nurses that work there are down to earth just like you and me. The consultants are human too, despite their air of prefessionalism. Its part of their job but, they will do their best to reassure you and make you feel at ease. Mr Shroeder and his team are lovely as is Mr Small and his team. Hope this has made you feel even just little less anxious. :)

Last edited:
thank you iv allready started to loose a bit weight my app is not till sept so i just hope this is the rite thing to do dont want to get there just for them to say i dont need the opp cos im losing weight on my own cos its really hard x

Christne,

Dont worry about how weight you loose as long as you loose the 3kg the they ask you to loose. And if you have reached that weight or even gone over it you will still be considered for WLS. Like us all it is only when we see the Consultant that the decision for surgery is made and they do take into consideration that the WLS is for health reasons too. I know nothing about the funding either but that may be because my weight seriously affects my health. That question would best be asked of someone who needed or got funding. I'm not sure if I did or did not because my GP/Consultant never mentioned it.

thanks iv got bad joints and back as i have arthrits i can not walk far my knees and back hurt so much i have high blood presure bmi 44 it was my arthrits dr that sugested it to me so i went to gp and asked her she refured me sorry im not good at spelling lol

Christine,

Never ever worry about the spelling in here, you get your point across and thats what matters most.

There is a WLS meeting being held on the 30th June between 6-8 in the Education Centre at SRH. I am going and maybe you should go, it is an opportunity to meet liz who runs it and who is also on her as she is a post opper. Dont know if she has introduced herself yet. I am hopfully going with my daughter, if not I will go alone. As you live in Sunderland ( live Thorney Close) it would be nice to meet others in the same boats so to speak.

I also have high bp as most big people do, joint problems are an affliction of being big and have a BMI of 43.4. Sadly I have a genetic condition called Familial hypercholesterolaemia (bad cholesterol) and inherited. As we have heart conditions on both sides of our family my excess weight increases the chances of heart attacks. Three of my younger siblings have heart conditions and one younger sibling had a stroke. I am 54 and they are between 10 months and 5 years younger than me. Our dad died in 2008 with heart problems after a series of strokes and Leukaemia.

Several members of my family have the cholesterol condition as well as one of my 5 sisters 5yr old grandson. Having many other conditions to contend with I feel like I am a walking medical journal and I hate that. An excellent reason for opting for the bypass is that I will never have to worry about being fat, overweight, obese or morbidly obese ever again and I can get on with the rest of my life and give my family and grandkids the person I was and more, I will be able to finally have that game of football that my grandsons ask me to have. To be able to ride my bike without having to get off and push it after 5 mins. Also ride with our Cole, back over to his house while his mum drives. Walk without pain in the joints and feeling knackered for days on end after I have spring cleaned.

Right, thats me finished with my moans and groans. LOL :D

thank you i have allready asked my daughter if she will come so hope to see you there im worried about what the nurse is going to ask me and thats not till september lol i just hope i dont get turned down thats all lol

Christine,
One thing I strongly believe in is that "until you know differently why worry about it?."

That has worked for me so far. Hopefully when you speak to someone who has been or is going through the process you will relax a lot more. At this rate you will worry your weight off and that much stress is not good for you. Please try and put the appointment with the nurse to the back of your mind. Easier said than done I hear you say to the screen :D Not a mind reader Christine, just been there and done that so speak from that experience I mentioned earlier.

I had an appointment on 10th June for pre-op assessment on my wrist and I wasn't worried that much about it even though my BP was sky high and I had to have it checked again at my GP surgery and guess what!!! It was back to normal. 125/73
I have another appointment with the nurse in Pre-assessment on 12th July 3 days after my op. Another PAAC on 30th June for my bypass but I am not worried about it until there is somthing to worry about. Que Sera Sera.

Hi christine you must already have the funding for your op has everyone who has been to te first semminar has already had the funding for the op put into place.

I'm a patient at Sunderland, and remember being asked about diet, lifestyle, etc. My advice to you would be to be honest - if you're a big eater, a binger or a secret eater, or something else, they need to know. As I sat there pouring my heart out about what I ate, I remember thinking no wonder I'm where I'm at now! On the other hand, I don't think anyone else has ever asked me before and it made a huge difference to my habits. I was a secret eater (have a chocolate bar on the way home from the supermarket so hubby didn't know) and now my conscience stops me.

The only thing I would say about Sunderland is they cancel quite a few appointments. I'm finally off to see the consultant tomorrow after being cancelled 3 times. :argh:
This will be my first appointment since meeting the dietician October 2010....

Good luck to you on your journey.

Back