• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/T - anyone got a good xmas cake recipe?

tpt

Uber geek
Despite being a total geyzer burd - I am a pretty proficient baker - I can do flaky pastry and all that gubbins - absolutely crap at cakes (those that are of the rising variety)- HOWEVER as we have moved into the cottage and I have this infeasibly huge range cooker - I thought for the first time ever I would have a go at making my own xmas cake.

No recipe (think my cookery books are still in boxes in the garage loft).

Can anyone recommend a tried & tested recipe? I will go get the ingredients tomrrow - can you please include any extra's I might need such as special bowls, paper etc (don't they have to be wrapped up & stored or something?)

Anyhoos - thanks in advance folks.....

Saint Delia of Smith's Xmas cake is the one people always give as the never-fail Xmas cake.

The recipe is here The Classic Christmas Cake - recipe cost £8.55 - English - Recipes - from Delia Online

It does need some extra bits and bobs (like brown paper to stop it burning) and you do need the right size of cake tin (she does give the instructions for different sizes)

Decorating instructions are given here Holly Leaf Cake Decoration - English - Recipes - from Delia Online She seems to be recommending Fondant Icing which is easier to work with (and you can buy ready made!) rather than the traditional Royal Icing.

And don't forget to "feed" the cake with some brandy or rum or whiskey - most important!!!!!!!

You have reminded me that I should be baking mine sometime soon.

love

TillyBob

For storing it you will need Baking Parchment (note NOT greaseproof paper), lots of foil and an airtight box or cake tin.

Don't worry, it is a lot easier than you might think - alot more of the "bunging it all in a big pan" approach than the whisking and delicate touch approach you need with a sponge!

love

TillyBob

Thank you so much!! I shall print it off and bob over to Lakeland in the morning (any excuse to buy their stuff..I luuuuurve it!!).

You lucky thing I love Lakeland too.Get it by mail order!

Back