• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oh no, a stitch is poking out of my scar!

simplylucy

Oh my goodness, I was just inspecting the neatness of my scars. They are lovely pink lines now. Not bad for 2 weeks post surgery.

I suffer from keloid scaring so I do heal very quickly, too quickly in fact. There is only a few lumps and bumps from the over scarring so far so fingers crossed the keloids won't be too bad.

Anyhow, I just ran my finger over one of the scars and it caught something sharp. On closer inspection there is two ends of a stitch sticking out of the scar.

Wonder if they will go away????

They are really gross!

LOL - don't worry about the stitches, it's normal. They work themselves out gradually... although I confess I got too impatient, pulled one of mine out and it bled ! :ashamed0005: Not a lot, but I should have known better than to interfere !

They will actually drop out of the scar eventually - gross isn't it - Mine drove me mad !
I've developed keloid scarring on one of my scars, its just suddenly decided to go a bit lumpy and randomly itches - very peculiar ! The consultant told me if i scratch the itch it will encourage it to form more scar tissue, so i'm trying to resist temptation.

Oh forgot to say, my external wounds were glued not stitched, so I guess this stitch in from underneath somehow!

My scars itch like crazy, all of them. It drives me insane.

I have a scar on my neck from years ago that I have to put an ice cube on at times to stop the itching. That scar is 17 years old! I had the keloids in that one injected with steriods, not an experience I wish to repeat!

i to would pass out, yikes, are they left lke that for everyone and every op?... my hubbi suffers with them keloid scars to xx

I also had a stitch sticking out and have to confess i also pulled it cos it drove me insane - probably best to leave it though lol

LOL Lucy, I'm an ex-nurse....I noticed one of my scars also had an internal stitch poking out (the external wound was glued) I was straight there with the eyebrow tweezers! Out it came, no fuss!
I've taken out thousands of stitches in my time, and stuck a few in too! Itching usually means good healing by the way.
Not that I'm recommending it! LOL :D

one of my scars was not healing properly then i found a little stitch so i got the tweezers and pulled it out since then it is healing lovely now.

I have quite a few scars and the only one which turned into a keloid scar was the one they used glue on. It itched like crazy.

i to would pass out, yikes, are they left lke that for everyone and every op?... my hubbi suffers with them keloid scars to xx

I wasnt left with any stitches sticking out from internally. My keyhole scars were stitched themselves and were taken out 9 days after surgery, they were no bother at all. xxxxxx

I just snipped the ends of the ones that came through,

I'm a nurse and see plenty of patients with sutures making their way out.

The problems is usually that disolving stitches don't always disolve very well and need to be inside you to work. If they hit the air, they stop disolving completely.

Your sutures will remain sterile and will gradually work their way out. If you notice them sticking out, it is fine to snip the ends off with a pair of clean sharp scissors (use boiling water or alcohol hand gel to clean scissors first).

If you can find a hydrocolloid dressing, such as Duoderm or granuflex, a piece of this over the stitch will encourage it to come out, but check you are not allergic to the adhesives first.

Hope this puts your mind at rest!

When I originally had my bypass surgery I dont remember having any problems, however when I had my other surgery in May this year they used a really funny purple glue spray stuff over my wounds, I had x5 of them and they were hard and horrible to touch as it went rock hard, they were a pick temptation to pick I can tell you especially as they caught on everything you wore..... but I suppose it was instead of stitiches??

Back