• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG - sporting challenge

Beegee

I have just signed myself up to complete a sporting challenge.. The Big Swim in Cornwall.. a challenge to swim from Port Gaverne to Port Issac.. this challenge will be two-fold

#1 - getting into a wetsuit (does my bum look big in this?)
#2 - surviving the swim..its a long way with jelly fish, sewage and hypothermia to contend with along the way.

Its in Aug 2014, so I have 9 months to get fit.
:character00180:

Good for you!!

I'm looking forward to the updates xx

Thanks all, I am swimming in memory of my dad, and two friends who all died of heart related conditions, so I am raising money for British Heart Foundation. I am also doing it for me.. I must get fit and stay fit. The bypass will help but I also need to put in a serious effort. Nine months to deliver a fit body that can squeeze into a wet suit.

what a great motivation :) I'm currently looking at a night climb of Ben Nevis and also a marathon night walk for similar reasons :)

Beegee - way to go! Can you give me the website? My hubby and I were going to visit his family in Sept (they're in St. Ives)... Might make it a month earlier and join you. It was some time ago, but I was a distance swimmer :) Would love to have an event to train for.

well done top-kat... my brother is going to be in the Guinness book of World Records this year as he ran the London marathon with an 80 pound back pack.. so I also want to run the London marathon.. but I might be carrying my own 80pounds ....lard all over my body :)

I'm going to do the 1 mile first and then see how I get on and aim to do the 3 mile the following year...

I have just signed myself up to complete a sporting challenge.. The Big Swim in Cornwall.. a challenge to swim from Port Gaverne to Port Issac.. this challenge will be two-fold #1 - getting into a wetsuit (does my bum look big in this?) #2 - surviving the swim..its a long way with jelly fish, sewage and hypothermia to contend with along the way. Its in Aug 2014, so I have 9 months to get fit. :character00180:
OMG, you are determined, fair play to you! Now I will have to think of a challenge for myself... Perhaps a 5K run next year? Good luck with the swim, hope you can get lots of practice in. X

Awesome! I've been training in the pool... So will have to make a decision but one mile is probably safer. Already got the approval from hubby to go back early for the race. He's the baby of 8 so I'll have a big cheer squad ;) Thanks a million for posting!

a mile is 80 lengths of my pool and I currently do 50 lengths every day or every other day... so I think I can increase the distance without issue its just decreasing the time that I will need to work on.. no more leisurely breast stoke time for fast front crawl.

WTG!! That's a brilliant thing to do hun good on you :)

I need swimming lessons to learn to crowl and do other swimming styles apart from breast stroke, lol

a mile is 80 lengths of my pool and I currently do 50 lengths every day or every other day... so I think I can increase the distance without issue its just decreasing the time that I will need to work on.. no more leisurely breast stoke time for fast front crawl.

I use a tether in my pool as one end is really shallow and hard to turn around in. I will start doing some sea swims out here. The water is warm now instead of hot and the jellies should be mostly gone so that's good! Will you buy a wetsuit or rent one? I'm really looking forward to this. I think I'll join you for the one mile... You're doing the one on Saturday? Then next year the three miler :)

I use a tether in my pool as one end is really shallow and hard to turn around in. I will start doing some sea swims out here. The water is warm now instead of hot and the jellies should be mostly gone so that's good! Will you buy a wetsuit or rent one? I'm really looking forward to this. I think I'll join you for the one mile... You're doing the one on Saturday? Then next year the three miler :)

yep one mile on Saturday then working up to 3 miles for 2015.. I am going to sod the expense and bye my own wetsuit... the thought of putting something on that someone had piddled in is not nice...

Back