• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OT - Tour of Duty Cake Idea Purrrrrrlease

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
My baby (21 years of age) goes off to Afghanistan on the 10th September :cry:

I was going to get a pre-made cake from Asda and decorate it for when we have our family meal out.

I don't have a very imaginative mind :( Can anyone give me some ideas please?

I've looked on ebay at the Army cake decorations etc (not alot)

I'm also undecided on what words to say on the cake also. ie: I don't want "farewell" on it as it sounds horrid as it sounds like he won't be coming back. I've throught about "Good Luck" etc

I've thought about sugar craft as well, but unsure what to have etc

Ohhh I dunno...... Please Help!

Do you have any cake decorating shops near you, i usually find just browsing can give you loads of ideas.
As for the wording how about 'bon Voyage' which means have a good journey

My baby (21 years of age) goes off to Afghanistan on the 10th September :cry:

I was going to get a pre-made cake from Asda and decorate it for when we have our family meal out.

I don't have a very imaginative mind :( Can anyone give me some ideas please?

I've looked on ebay at the Army cake decorations etc (not alot)

I'm also undecided on what words to say on the cake also. ie: I don't want "farewell" on it as it sounds horrid as it sounds like he won't be coming back. I've throught about "Good Luck" etc

I've thought about sugar craft as well, but unsure what to have etc

Ohhh I dunno...... Please Help!

What about 'Proud of You' to go on the cake.

You must be very proud of him....God speed and all the very best to him.

We should do more for our soldiers...

(((hugs))

I'm a amature cake decorator, but I'm struggling for idea's.

It depends how confident you are also. I know Asda use to put the photo on for you. How about "Till We Meet Again"

My 1st husband was special forces in the US Marine Corps. His favourite cake he got said "Go kick some a**" . He absolutely loved it and still has a picture of it.

My 1st husband was special forces in the US Marine Corps. His favourite cake he got said "Go kick some a**" . He absolutely loved it and still has a picture of it.

I like that one FL :giggle:

it must be difficult to see your your Child go off to such a troubled spot Jezabelle...I really can't imagine how you must be feeling :hug99:very best wishes to your brave lad xx

could you try and copy his regiments badge onto the middle ?

As for the wording... i like the kick a$$ one lol.
Depends if you want to be funny or serious.

'Dont bring any washing home...'
'I packed your clean undies' lol

Or just the With Love always works, you can put your sentiments in cards and letters better than on a cake I think.:)

Thank you so much everyone. xx

Yes, I am very proud of him. He has "volunteered" for this Tour of Duty (4 months) as well as 85 others from his regiment. They will be attached to the Grenadeer Guards. He lost his best friend who he knew from the age of 11 last October, he was serving out in Afghan and this is why my son has volunteered to go, he will also be going again Sept 2010 for the full 6 months tour! This is when the whole of his regiment goes. This may sound daft to you all but his Major said it's part of his bereavement healing process, which I agree with in a way, he took it really bad, but is well on the mend now and I just wish he wasn't going as I have to go through all this again next year by trying to stay strong.

I had to go to the doctors a few months ago, he was due to go last month but they held it back at the last minute. My nerves were shot and I would burst into tears at anytime of the day or night when I thought about it, this is when my blood pressure was sky high and he put me on tablets.

He is home this weekend for nearly 4 weeks and I know there is going to be a few tears shed between myself, his girl and my mom.

I think I might use "Proud of You" & "Go Kick Some A**" I've been looking for a suitable photo as I have found someone on ebay that prints them onto rice paper or icing (can't remember which) I am also going to check my local Asda if they still print them.

Thank's again. xxx

I have thought of using his cap badge ;) I've been looking for a decent jpeg this past hour, not found one as yet. xx

could you try and copy his regiments badge onto the middle ?

As for the wording... i like the kick a$$ one lol.
Depends if you want to be funny or serious.

'Dont bring any washing home...'
'I packed your clean undies' lol

Or just the With Love always works, you can put your sentiments in cards and letters better than on a cake I think.:)

Really like this FL... I think we will all be upset at the family meal and this would just put a smile on everyones faces when the waiter brings it out. :D xx

I am glad I could help. I was always a mess when my ex left and I knew I had to keep it lighthearted versus emotional or I would lose it. I am so proud of your son. Men and women like him are the most amazing people on Earth.

The end result... Thank you to all for your input... He loved his cake as did all of his friends. :)

Attachments

• 1 014.jpg
    1 014.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 90
Thats' an amazing cake!!! How talented you are! You must be so proud of your son too...safe return home JB Jnr!

Back