• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pacemaker That Fights Obesity!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Medtronic Obesity Management
banner_shorter.gif

Clinical Research Study for Obesity

Thank you for your interest in Medtronic Obesity Management and Gastric Electrical Stimulation.
Obesity is a growing worldwide epidemic. In the United States, nearly one-third of adults are obese. Given the prevalence of the condition, and the numerous medical disorders associated with excess weight gain, there remains a significant unmet medical need for effective treatment.
Medtronic has a rich heritage in using electrical stimulation to treat an array of chronic diseases. The Obesity Management division was created in 2005 to apply this technological approach to treat obesity.
What is Gastric Electrical Stimulation?
  • Gastric Electrical Stimulation (GES) employs an implantable, pacemaker-like device to deliver low-level electrical stimulation to the stomach.
    device2.gif
  • The procedure involves the surgeon suturing electrical leads to the outer lining of the stomach wall. The leads are then connected to the device, which is implanted just under the skin in the abdomen. Using an external programmer that communicates with the device, the surgeon will establish the level of electrical stimulation appropriate for the patient.
  • While the exact way in which GES causes weight loss is not fully understood, it is believed that through low-level electrical pulses the therapy slows the intrinsic electrical waves in the stomach. Animal studies have shown that this electrical stimulation causes the stomach to relax, resulting in distension of the stomach. This distension triggers nerves in the stomach involved in digestion to send signals via the central nervous system to the brain that the stomach is “full”. Additional research is being conducted to better understand how stimulation affects the digestive system.
Request more information regarding the treatment of obesity.
NOTE: Gastric Electrical Stimulation therapy has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is for investigational use only in the United States.
U.S. Clinical Trials

Medtronic is currently not enrolling in any clinical studies in the U.S. This site will be updated once we begin enrolling into the next clinical study

I came across a story about Victoria DePaul in December issue of Prevention.

Victoria 40 weighed in at 288 pounds on the scales and is 5 feet tall, was so demoralized that she simply stopped weighing herself...

She heard about a trial study and she says..."I volunteered to be a guinea pig to lose weight and get healthy" she had one of these Medtronic gastric pacemaker which are about the size of a pocket watch inserted through an incision in her abdomen. Resting below the skin, the device has two wires attached to the wall of her stomach. It emits a mild electrical pulse that's suppose to suppress hunger, but initially, Victoria felt like nothing was happening.

The article is a bit vague on whether this devise actually helped or was it her own determination that won the day?

For the article goes on to say that she wanted results and so she began an exercise and change her eating habits and eventually the weight began melting away and she lost 110lbs. in 18 months...

Vitoria's message: "Change has to be all about yourself," says DePaul, who has been so inspired that she's started a career in spiritual coaching. The batteries in her device have gone dead, but DePaul is holding at 180 pounds. In weight loss, she says, there are no miracles."

Guess we will have to wait for the results of the trials to be published to know if this actually works.

Love Mini xxx

I can tell you now - It won't work

IMO Obesity is not about not feeling the full sensation.

I know I'm full sometimes and I carry on eating, when will the medical profession start to understand this.

Its a brain implant I want !!!

One of my clients had this procedure....

(Draw your own conclusions.)

;)

I never heard about this Pacemaker for Obesity until this week.

Having it in the stomach area seems to be in the wrong place alright, we eat with our eyes first...:rolleyes:

Love Mini xxx

Its not our stomachs that tell us to overeat, its our blooming brains , its all to do with emotions many of us have used food for comfort or because we are bored or depressed if we can sort out these problems we would be fine.

SONKIE

Back