• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Painkillers post band?

bex j88

Hi all :)

I have my assessment on Friday at st Richards and I'm hoping for a band.

I've just seen a thread on here saying that you can't take anti inflammatory pills after a bypass- my question is: are there any restricted painkillers after a band?

I'm on daily painkillers which are NSAIDs due to a bad accident leaving me needing an ankle replacement. The surgery is to aid my ankle but that won't get rid if the pain (although hoping it will help)
I am worried that I get to Friday and they say its either the band or the painkillers... Cripes!

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received! X

Check carefully with what your doctor advises.

I had an episode with ibuprofen causing a stomach bleed and I can't ever have them again. Paracetamols have to be soluble and aspirins only when flying, then again soluble and with caution.

I had special permission to take diclofenac but again with caution and dispersible so that nothing sits in the pouch.

Take care!

This is definitely one for your provider as the information I was given is completely different to ThinnerJemima - and that medicines don't have to be soluble, that I am able to take anti inflammatories and also my migraine tablets and painkillers in normal form.

It's a provider thing some are good with it others not although there was a bypass lady on here who swallowed a nurophen and it made a hole in her pouch as it sat there for too long ouch :( x

Crikey!

Now I'm worried! :-/

Well I shall report back on Friday as to my findings...

Thanks for all your input x

Hi

I think you will find that if you have a band you should still be able to take your anti inflammatory meds or NISADS, its only if you have had your stomach cut as with the sleeve and bypass that you are advised not to take them. With the band the stomach is not damaged in any way so it should be fine.

Double check with St Richards though just to be sure.

Paul

I still take paracetamol and tramadol the normal way and i've been fine. i can t take NSAIDS as they cause me issues with my asthma so i have been prescribed Gabapentin which is like an anti inflammatory but doesnt have codeine in. I have Palindromic Rheumatism and Fibromyalgia. My friend who is a fellow bandit takes NSAIDs and has had no problems with taking the meds and she had the op 3 years ago.

Back