• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help please !

bex j88

I have got my assessment day booked in with st Richards in Chichester on Friday 1st feb. my funding has been confirmed a d as such I believe this assessment will be the final thing (unless problems uncovered) until I get my op date.

I'm worried because I have put on about 7/8lbs (since my funding was approved in October) over Xmas & new year. The reasons I have are just excuses really.
Although I'm going to do an extreme crash diet from now- 1st feb, I'm worried they might turn me down for putting on weight?

There are no excuses other than sheer over indulgence when I cannot afford to over indulge. Now I'm regretting it badly :-(

The reason for my funding is that I need a full ankle replacement following a bad accident 3 years ago which has left me immobile and my weight has crept up to a bmi of 46.

I do not have any other co morbities

Any opinions or suggestions or just experiences would be a great relief to hear ?
Thanks x

I have got my assessment day booked in with st Richards in Chichester on Friday 1st feb. my funding has been confirmed a d as such I believe this assessment will be the final thing (unless problems uncovered) until I get my op date.

I'm worried because I have put on about 7/8lbs (since my funding was approved in October) over Xmas & new year. The reasons I have are just excuses really.
Although I'm going to do an extreme crash diet from now- 1st feb, I'm worried they might turn me down for putting on weight?

There are no excuses other than sheer over indulgence when I cannot afford to over indulge. Now I'm regretting it badly :-(

The reason for my funding is that I need a full ankle replacement following a bad accident 3 years ago which has left me immobile and my weight has crept up to a bmi of 46.

Any opinions or suggestions or just experiences would be a great relief to hear ?
Thanks x

I really would not worry about it. I was the same. As my surgeon told me, if I had lost weight it would be more of an issue :) You've requested funding because you need weight loss surgery, so having out a few pound on really isn't a surprise. Lots do it, especially after Christmas! Did they tell you to lose any?

I had exactly the same question and was fully reassured on here that its not an issue its between your assesment and pre op that you need to not put any weight on I'm in Friday eeeek il let you know how I get on as iv put on around a stone! X

Try not to worry - but also avoid putting yourself into an "extreme crash diet" situation as that isn't good! Try to get on track with something in the meantime if you choose healthier choices, but there are threads on here where people have gained and it has had no effect on these appointments :)

Thanks x

I'm in the same situation as you my app is the 7th of feb and iv put on 12lb I called the hospital (I'm at derby) and they said if Iv put on any weight at all since I first got weighed then I will be taken off the waiting list so as of tomorrow I'm on a crash diet! I'm going to do the milk diet for 2 weeks I just hope I have the willpower to stick it out
Every hospital is different and yours may not remove you from the waiting list but its best to check so you know where you stand

I'm in the same situation as you my app is the 7th of feb and iv put on 12lb I called the hospital (I'm at derby) and they said if Iv put on any weight at all since I first got weighed then I will be taken off the waiting list so as of tomorrow I'm on a crash diet! I'm going to do the milk diet for 2 weeks I just hope I have the willpower to stick it out
Every hospital is different and yours may not remove you from the waiting list but its best to check so you know where you stand

I would call PALS as that seems utterly ridiculous and very irresponsible of them. Get PALS to check as a drastic crash diet is not good for you.

I have spoken to a friend who had a bypass in the summer at st Richards she said she had put on weight and no one said anything she asked as she was still worried and was told that they expect people to put weight on as its a last blow out as they won't be able to do it after x

I have spoken to a friend who had a bypass in the summer at st Richards she said she had put on weight and no one said anything she asked as she was still worried and was told that they expect people to put weight on as its a last blow out as they won't be able to do it after x

Exactly :) of we could easily not put on weight we wouldn't be asking for weight loss surgery! :)

I was told at my very first app that I'm not allowed to put on any weight but being the idiot I am I ended up putting on 12lb but I thought I would double check as I'm going to find it hard to lose 12lb in less than 2 weeks but yep just as I thought they told me I either lose the weight or I'll be off the list and they make no exceptions so I guess I going to have to be miserable and crash diet until my next app

It does seems stupid because if I could lose the weight on my own I wouldn't be having this surgery in the first place

These are just the rules at derby hospital other hospitals may be different
I'm being given this gift and there's no way I'm going to blow it now I'm so close so I will get the weight off before I go

Same as Sunderland. Weight gain means you are off the programme. I did Atkins and lost 9lb in a week. Best of luck x

Try the harcome diet, its much better for you than the atkins as you can eat veg and some carbs I lost 10llb for a party in a week it is however a quick fix diet and I would not recommed it for long term use

Wow thank you! and thanks to everyone who has come forward on this- I feel HEAPS better.
It's so good to speak to people in the same boat, I don't know anyone day to day that has had this done... It's great to pick the brains of others!

Oh good luck to everyone waiting for their assessment- I will report back here to let you know what happens on 1 feb but I think I might try and lose a few pounds before then. Going to look up this harcome diet and also the alternate day diet seems to be popular as well?!

Thanks again I really am so grateful for all your input xx :)

Hi
i'm with st peters in Surrey and was weighed at the seminar by the nurse and was told if i went above this weight i wouldn't be put on the list luckily iv lost a little bit of weight as i see the surgeon on the 8th Feb think its a bit unfair if you put on a little. like others have said on here each hospital is different ..Best of luck i'm sure you will be ok x

Back