• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Plaster "mark" frame around scars

Yoyo-nomore

Bit of an odd one.

6 weeks post op (nearly) and scars are healing well. Fading scratch like marks that look like they will fade to be hardly noticable.

BUT

I have marks where the plasters covering the wounds were. So a brownish mark like a frame in a perfect square around 3 of the scars. It can't be bruising as I had horrid bruises after the op which have cleared up perfectly.

The nurse tried to clean it off with spirit when I last went. Makes you wonder about people's common sense sometimes..

What on earth could have caused the plaster to do this? Anyone else have this frame? If you did.. has it now gone?

You'd make my day if you had!
yoyo
x

i've not had surgery but am a first aider at work, it sounds like you might have had a reaction to the plaster? def worth checking out as i am told it gets worse with further use of plasters

its from the glue, ask for the plastic silicone type plasters there much better, the glue will come off in time.

Thanks all. Yes definitely didn't get on very well with the plasters, but only had them on for a week....so whatever this is... it's been there 5 weeks and counting.

You can clean them off with surgical spirit - old trick from a very old nurse x

yeah i had a touch of that. It used to itch for ages after the dressings were removed. Ive still got a dressing on one that hasnt quite closed yet, nearly 6 weeks after op!

the glue off the plasters ripped my skin off after that i was left with glue residue, nurse cud not get it off, i removed it with a dry thick pile towel, rub gently where the glue marks are it comes off

Thanks guys.

This isn't a residue or something that could be washed off. It's a staining some how of the skin - from the inside out. It must be either some kind of allergic skin reaction that's just taking a while to go or it is indeed bruising.

You've cheered me up just knowing i'm not the only one
yoyo
x

I argee it may be some kind of reaction to the tape.

I had them stick round ones on that they use to test your heart a few months ago and it left me with red/brown bruise like marks. After a week they disappeared.

Skin doesn't stay on forever. So I'm thinking if you've got a brown allergy patch it'll go once the skin has worked it's way to the top and fallen off.

In the mean time stop looking at it!

Same for me Liz the plasters ripped my skin of and made me bleed took ages for me to get the glue of but its all gone now

they changed my plasters to the silicone ones on the wrapper it says OPSITE POSTOP they are fab, if anyone needs any more dressing request these as there great.

liz x

Inkli that's good advice.... I'll get a loofah and stop obessing!

hiya i can totally sympathise. my op was 4 weeks ago, i never knew i was allergic to plasters, well now i know my dressings which were ones from hospital then my own post-op opsite caused a red rash around the inside of the dressings and itched like mad. i had to take them off earlier than i should have but luckily havent had any problems, anyway i have also noticed the same brown like mark you mentioned and no amount of scrubbing or cleaning will clear it ???

im sure it will go when its ready!!!

Well..... update on the rectangular brown frames (where the plasters were) now present around the scars ... 8 weeks after the op and they are still there. They've now been looked at by the GP, the actual bariatric Surgeon and a Nurse and no-one has a clue what they are, but they all seem to agree that given enough time they will eventually go as the skin renews.

So anyhows - - an anomoly, but sharing just in case someone else gets it.

yoyo
x

Back