• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Plum Baby and Toddler foods

HiddenBeauty

Lil Miss Kitty
Before you get into a tizz hear me out.

I was looking in the supermarket with a friend and I came across Plum Foods. They do a range of foods from baby to toddler.

The post op sheet does says specifically no baby food, but that is because of the extra vitamins i think they put into it.

But the toddler range from this organic supplier is ONLY pureed ingredeints, no aditives. So it's what we would puree ourselves, only in handy resealable packet form (for out and about)

Do you reckon it would be ok?

Stage 2 is pureed food, stages 3 and 4 is chunky food.

products » Plum Baby - Organic Baby Food and Organic Toddler Food

Ingredients in this is: Organic vegetables 55% (sweet potato 33%, carrots 22%), Water, Organic lamb 11%, Organic quinoa flakes 3%

Nutritional Information (per 100g)

Energy Kilojoules (KJ): 261
Energy Calories (kcal): 62
Protein (g): 3.6
Sugars (g): 4.2
Fat (g): 2
Saturated fat (g): 0.9
Fibre (g): 3 Sodium (g): trace
input would be nice :)

Kitty,

The reason most bariatric post-op advice is against baby food is:

1. The lack of protein content -- most baby food is very high in starch / carbohydrate content

2. It is a bad habit to get into -- they want us to try very hard to get back to eating "normal" (adult) food -- and use our own pureed chicken, crab, tuna, mince meat and cottage cheese as the basis of our diet -- high protein pureed foods.

But as the nutritional info shows its not that high in the bad things, it is just puréed food. I don't see the difference in blending those ingredients myself and them being blended for me. Wouldn't it just be the same?

Kitty,

This is the list of the contents you posted:

Organic vegetables 55% (sweet potato 33%, carrots 22%), Water, Organic lamb 11% ....

If you blend your own you could make protein the 55% content and veggies the minor content.

I really would not recommend it -- you seem to be so interested in cooking and culinary things on your pre-op diet recipes, why not take the same amount of care and interest in your own post-op diet food ...???

Bariatric teams tend to view people who choose baby food as setting themselves up for failure.

The pattern is -- it becomes too much trouble to deal with real food, too much time and trouble to puree and prepare real food ...... then it becomes "too difficult" to eat real food, then the person ends up living off slider foods and high carb mash and food that will go down easily rather than working hard at chewing (20++ times) real chunky, proper adult food.

It's more my blender broke and I can't afford to replace it lol

It's more my blender broke and I can't afford to replace it lol

Oh I see !!!

Soz ..... well perhaps you have extenuating circumstances then ;-)

(Argos do hand blenders for £5 in their "value" range -- but I know it might not be as good as the one you currently have with a bowl and settings etc -- and poss you want to wait until you can afford a good quality replacement.)

Lol now I need to find my nearest asda

I have an itinery worked out, what dates I start transitioning food etc and what will be my first foods to try.

I'm soo looking forward to a fork full of salmon and scrambled eggs.

I'd buy one and taste it first - my daughter hated them and I don't blame her, they smell and taste pretty bad.
They use a lot of sweet potato and carrots too which are higher in natural sugar so you could do a much better version yourself with lower sugar. They're not cheap either - I'd get myself a cheap blender at asda rather than buy the food x

I'm gonna work more on my food reintroduction schedule once i'm home from the hospital :)

hun i would stay clear of baby foods.... you would be better off treating yourse to a nice little blender and blending veg, mash and plenty of protein... ie eggs, fish, chicken.
I was told by my surgical team that with baby foods lack a lot of protein..that is why babies also need plenty of milk when they are first weaned onto foods x

Of course saying all this....one pot of baby food for roughly 2 weeks while you're getting back onto "real" food is not going to cause you any major harm! i don't think anyone intends on staying on it forever :)

angeeb said:
Of course saying all this....one pot of baby food for roughly 2 weeks while you're getting back onto "real" food is not going to cause you any major harm! i don't think anyone intends on staying on it forever :)

I agree Angeeb. A bit to have in your bag to avoid eating something terrible while out must be ok now and again. Damage limitation.

Eating them as meals everyday would be totally different x

I used to get my daughter the HiPP organic baby food for when out and about. To be honest it tasted vile! not only do they cut down on the protein but there is absolulty no seasoning (understandably!)

Invest in that hand blender and you can make all sorts of tasty concoctions!

If you have any rubber ice cube trays they are a good way of batch freezing lots of different mushed up goodies to defrost as and when x

You go through the stages pretty quick and will be eating stuff mashed with a fork before you know it,I only used a blender for a couple of weeks.

I'm trying to stick as strict to my regime as I can.. so liquids for 4 weeks, then semi solid food for 4 weeks then solid food after that. I've created myself a calender and count down for each stage with an introduction of food per day

These were really just for ideas for out and about so I don't feel housebound.

As I said, so looking forwards to scrambled egg and salmon.. i've missed my salmon so much.

And sashimi.. i hope i can still eat sashimi

I'm trying to stick as strict to my regime as I can.. so liquids for 4 weeks, then semi solid food for 4 weeks then solid food after that. I've created myself a calender and count down for each stage with an introduction of food per day

These were really just for ideas for out and about so I don't feel housebound.

As I said, so looking forwards to scrambled egg and salmon.. i've missed my salmon so much.

And sashimi.. i hope i can still eat sashimi

Good for you! if you stick to your post op advice you cant go far wrong.

Yumm scrambled egg and salmon - very nice, love sashami too, I'm hungry now lol :D

Kitty the nurse at Orpington said the chelsfields port op diet sheet is wrong so I wouldn't over think and plan too much untill u go to the post op appointment.
Vicky x

HiddenBeauty said:
Before you get into a tizz hear me out.

I was looking in the supermarket with a friend and I came across Plum Foods. They do a range of foods from baby to toddler.

The post op sheet does says specifically no baby food, but that is because of the extra vitamins i think they put into it.

But the toddler range from this organic supplier is ONLY pureed ingredeints, no aditives. So it's what we would puree ourselves, only in handy resealable packet form (for out and about)

Do you reckon it would be ok?

Stage 2 is pureed food, stages 3 and 4 is chunky food.

products » Plum Baby - Organic Baby Food and Organic Toddler Food

Ingredients in this is: Organic vegetables 55% (sweet potato 33%, carrots 22%), Water, Organic lamb 11%, Organic quinoa flakes 3%

Nutritional Information (per 100g)

Energy Kilojoules (KJ): 261
Energy Calories (kcal): 62
Protein (g): 3.6
Sugars (g): 4.2
Fat (g): 2
Saturated fat (g): 0.9
Fibre (g): 3 Sodium (g): trace
input would be nice :)

I used these as an alternative for taking when I was out. It's only for a short while, can't hurt. Didn't taste very good though and so ended up investing in a pack of lunch boxes to carry my puréed food with me - still take an empty box where ever I go now so that I can bring home what I don't eat!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

vicky x said:
Kitty the nurse at Orpington said the chelsfields port op diet sheet is wrong so I wouldn't over think and plan too much untill u go to the post op appointment.
Vicky x

Fair enough. Will see how we go. I'm awake at silly o clock. My mummy should be here soon.

HiddenBeauty said:
Fair enough. Will see how we go. I'm awake at silly o clock. My mummy should be here soon.

Good luck

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back