• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

Hi , im scheduled for POSE 7-15-12. I will have it done in USA, LA with dr lavin. Has anyone had it done in Louisiana? Any feedback would be great. Thank you.

Had it done in UK (no complications) - but would be interested to hear how you get on, say several weeks post-procedure, and what your appetite is like.

Hope all goes well.

LyndaB said:
Had it done in UK (no complications) - but would be interested to hear how you get on, say several weeks post-procedure, and what your appetite is like.

Hope all goes well.

Hi lyndab

Will keep you ...how do you feel about it? Has it helped you in anyway?

Hi .I saw your post and not put too much of a downer on things . I didn't lose any weight with pose ,app if you have more than 21 lbs to lose its not that effective .Im sorry if you have been told otherwise .I have had a gastric band fitted since and got the result I wanted ,weight loss and loss of appetite .I no longer feel the need to overeat .Pose is just like going on weight watchers it's ok for several weeks but the willpower needed is just the same as regular dieting .if I could have dieted I would .Please be aware of this before you have the procedure .I would opt for a band with almost guaranteed results rather than pose with inconsistent results xx

Same as scottt; don't want to put a downer on things but didn't get the anticipated (and promised) results. Hence, me asking you to let us know what your appetite is like in a few weeks after POSE.

Just an update regarding my pose procedure I now weigh 147 the wt loss is slow but still pretty easy I could probably eat more than I do if I tried but I just don't. This is the longest I have ever gone without binging I'm truly amazed. There is no way I could have been this successful on my own

Pose did not work for me - any feelings of restriction( if that's what it was) faded between 1 and 3 months totally gone .
So I went in search of a true solution to my problem . Because I had the pose procedure done on sunday27 November 2011 , I had to find a surgeon experienced in this field. That took me to new Orleans / a fantastic surgeon and hospital there . As my bmi was low 29.9 on day of surgery - my surgeon said as I was a revision surgery he would perform the vsg ( sleeve) as I had requested.
I had my vsg ( sleeve and hernia repair done on the same day ) Tuesday 6 th November 2012 . Liquids only for the first two weeks then mushies , then soft foods . This feeling of restriction totally works. I eat very small yet highly nutritious foods now and am totally satisfied . I have lost one and a half stone so far in 6 weeks .

Very early days yet but I am very happy with my decision . ( I had such serious doubts before surgery yet great faith in my surgeon and his team)

Vsg is giving me the results and restriction that I had wished pose was going to do for me .

My surgeon ( who has done between 12 and 15 revision from pose to vsg) says there is a 15 per cent failure rate with pose

I am very happy so far with my sleeve. The standard of private medical care in America is excellent , and no judgement as to why I was having the revision to vsg with low bmi 29.9 .

Wishing everyone else success with their pose

Alexandrite x

so sad the pose didnt work out so well

Hi Alexandrite

I've just read your post regarding the revision to POSE and the subsequent vsg surgery and find it very interesting. I also had POSE done and it has been a resounding failure! I'd like to know more about your 'journey', the research you carried out and how you managed to get approval for the vsg. Would it be possible for you to send me a private message?
Thanks

Lynda

Hi lyndaB

Thanks very much for your reply . I'm so sorry but as I have not had more than 50 posts I can not private message you .

I started to research via obesietyhelp.com as soon as it was obvious that my pose surgery was not effective for me .
I tried to get my vsg done initially in the Uk and had two consultations , however both surgeons turned down my request because my bmi was not 35 ( one highly respected surgeon explained my risk of a leak was doubled because of having had the pose done ) however I was determined as I just knew the sleeve was going to give me the restriction I wanted the pose to give me .
I had two consultations with two different surgeons in America ( both had pose surgery experience) ( the surgeon I picked trains other doctors on the pose operation) doctors in America are a lot more open minded to the advantages of weight loss surgery ( maybe more commercially minded also which is fine by me!) I did not need "approval" to be accepted as I was "self-pay" it cost me 14k dollars ( less than what I paid for pose which doesn't work ) ( in my opinion ) - ( only sayin!!) the best decision I have ever made for my health.

Any questions - just ask

Alexandrite

Thank you for the info. I'd love to have it done but, same as you, wouldn't qualify in the U.K. because BMI not high enough. I'm also really scared from a surgical perspective that things could go drastically wrong. It is a serious intervention. To be honest, financially, it's way out of my league just now (I SO regret the money spent on POSE). However, from what you say, you have done a lot of research so you found the surgeon that was best suited to do this, bearing in mind any complications because of POSE. I really wish I could but it's not do-able right now.

Thanks again.

I'd found through research I've done, that to date long term results for this are not that great, if I were you and considering POSE I'd do a lot of research into this procedure before you go ahead. Just my point of view but what I read made me look at other options.

Hi folks. Thought I'd check in to tell you about my experience with POSE. I had the procedure ~ 1st jan 2013. I had read all the positive and negative comments about it on this site and others but decided to go for it anyway, simply because I felt desperate to do something and just hoped this might work.

Before I had the procedure I weighed 10st 8 pounds. I am 5 foot 4 inches, so was just in the 'overweight' category of bmi and would not be considered for other weight loss surgery or indeed for pose in the UK which is where I live. However, in new orleans they were happy to offer the surgery, so flew over on my own for it - didn't tell anyone, just went and did it.

Service over there was very good. Good doctors and nurses etc. Felt pretty rough for 3 or 4 days after surgery, struggling to get fluids (or eat), problems with acid reflux, dehydrated etc. They put me back in hospital for a night on a drip before I flew home.
Anyway, all symptoms eventually faded to my great relief a few days later. I had worried about the acid reflux sticking around but no, it went away, thank god.

The week or two after surgery I probably lost around 12 pounds which I was ecstatic about but hardly surprising given that I didn't eat at all.

As I started to feel better I started to eat more and more (soft foods as recommended, then harder foods) with the restriction just about noticeable, but definitely not as dramatic as I had hoped. Before surgery I was worried friends and family would notice me not being able to eat a meal with them and realize I had had surgery, but no chance!

It's now 8 months later. Restriction I think is still there a bit, but barely noticeable and really only kicks in when you eat larger meals. Every day at lunch I still order the same size meal as everyone else and eat it all. But, I don't ever feel like I have room for a desert aterwards. My problem was always snacking through the day constantly and on naughty things, so the pose is not gonna help with this really and certainly I have no sense that the pose has helped me cut down on chocolate bars, for example.

I gave up the 'pose diet' pretty early on just because, well..... I try to diet and fail, and have now reverted to my old ways of generally trying to diet, being good sometimes and bad sometimes. I feel now like the same type of dieter I was before the pose in terms of the effort I'm putting in, the exercise levels etc.

BUT...the long and short of it is, that I used to weigh 10 stone 8 pounds and I now weigh 9 stone 10 pounds. So ~ 12 pounds weight loss, about half what I wanted to lose. Am I pleased? I'm definitely happy to be nearly a stone lighter, for sure, but it's not the full weight loss I was hoping for. It has put me back into the healthy bracket bmi and also is enough for me to feel quite a lot better about myself.

Am I sure the pose has done it? No, but it seems that way. Would I recommend it? It's a lot of money. If you're eligible for other weight loss surgery, probably go for that for more guaranteed results, but if not...well depends how rich you are. If you can afford to give it a go and are desperate and prepared for it to not work that well, then who am I to say no when I feel like it has helped me a bit. Some weight loss is better than none, right! I reckon if you're not a constant snacker, like me, but someone who binges on large portions/eat large meals this may work pretty well.

I hope this is informative

Love H xx

Last edited:
Good, informative post with which I thoroughly concur having had the procedure. It may work for big eaters but not for 'grazers' of which I am one. I found it a waste of money.

Had it done in April I am now down to 135lbs it worked for me

Im new here and i am going to do pose with Dr Denk.i need loose about 40-50 lbs..how was everything for you with dr Denk? Im only concerned on the recovery,how was your experience?
Th
Anks

Im new here and i am going to do pose with Dr Denk.i need loose about 40-50 lbs..how was everything for you with dr Denk? Im only concerned on the recovery,how was your experience?
Th
Anks

would love to know how your journey is going as im due to do the POSE this month.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Providing my bloods etc are ok Im booked to have the surgery on the 29th of september 2015. Anyone else out there done the POSE. I know these are old threads but ill post this anyway in case anyone else gets directed here.

Last edited:
HI Ieatchocolate_uk. I know this was an old post but just wondered how you were getting on and do you know anyone else that has had the procedure. I would be more than happy to be 9.10 again. Well done

Had my pose done 29th September. I started changing diet about a month before. I weighed 80 kilos. Today less than 1 month after surgery I weigh 72.5. I'm happy with that. 1 stone 3 pounds but need another stone off. Definitely feel restriction on bigger meals but I feel it's now down to food choices. I see the dietician next week and will up my excersise soon also. I hope I can get to 70 kilos in the next few weeks. It's not a miracle I can confirm

Last edited:
Back