• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

It's worked for me

I am glad I didn't read all these negative posts about POSE before I had it done otherwise I would never have gone ahed.

I have had my POSE for a year and have lost just over 3 stone and am delighted. I had it done in Manchester and have been really well looked after.

It wasn't all plain sailing but I was told to recognize the signs of fulness and when I did to stop eating.

I have kept in touch with two people who had it done on the same day and they have also done vey well

Redlass x

Hi Redlass can I ask which hospital you used in Manchester ? Did you go private? I have an appointment for a consultation but I have seen 2 different "methods" under POSE procedure. Do you know which type of pose you had? Well done on the 3 stone! I would be over the moon too!

I went to a hospital in Cheadle called the Alexandra. The staff and surgeons seem professional and very friendly. I paid for my pose procedure but it was worth it? Not sure what type it was I thought there was only one type

Redlass x

Now i'm really confused! Some posters seem to think POSE was terrible, and others are delighted. Really sorry Janestone to hear about your awful time with the gastric band.... is erosion a big problem? What do you think you will do now?
That seems to be the problem for me, most people have an OK time with anything they do, but just the superstars and disappointed people post.
I went to a consultation to find out more about POSE because it seems from this and some other WL forums that the results in most people are good, and only a few don't seem to succeed, but the surgeon recommended a Bypass because of my weight and the fact that it looks like i'll become diabetic soon.
That seems a whole world of a difference.... anyone had a bypass?

Pose success rates

Hi All

Just to let you know I have not heard anything back from the makers of the pose device USGI medical , however I will keep trying .

I am waiting from md of the national obesity centre to get back from holidays on 14 th may , with a reply to my written complaint .

It's nice to see pose has worked for some people and I have been contacted ( through another weight loss surgery forum ) by a lady who had pose done last April and has lost two stone and although it's not plain sailing for her , she does feel it's been worthwhile .

Alexandrite

Hi! I've been wanting the POSE procedure, and after reading the forum I feel better about it. It is the only surgery I "sort of" qualify for due to a "low" BMI. Therefore, despite the Sleeve, or Band, or whatever may be more effective, it is not an option for me. I'm just happy to have an option.

Met with the doctor today. I was nervous about complications- brain damage (lack of oxygen with anesthesia) or esophagus perforation, weakness, dumping syndrome, cold sweats, feeling the anchors but after meeting with the doctor I feel better.

If there is little weight loss due to the procedure then as long as I didn't lose my job from this, then I will be disappointed, but not raging mad. I plan to do weight watchers and use POSE to help me stick with it. I've done weightwatchers in the past, but could only stick to it for 2 months at a time.

It is tomorrow. I am very excited. I hope I can go back to work immediately Thursday, as that is what i have planned. I hope the sore throat is not too bad, and that I don't have gas or nausea. I hope I can work from the hotel room immediately. I hope I can go rock climbing soon and that I am still strong.

I am excited about the possibilities of losing weight without feeling like I am starving all the time. I am glad he agreed to do this. I wonder why there are BMI standards - if someone wants to do something, signs waivers, understands risks, why not let them do it if they pay cash?

Hopefully, if all goes well with no complications, I will post my thoughts, progress, and feelings on this procedure. I've never done anything like this. I had liposuction once, and although it improved my "proportions" of my waist, I am still chub over there, as well as my inner thighs, arms, armpit fat, face fat. Wish me luck...

Good luck On your quest alexandrite, I don't post much these days but I nip in to see how folks are getting on...
How are YOU doing, Stillbig? Any change in your situation? Last time you posted things seemed to be pretty grim. I won't go over old ground but my feelings are still the same about POSE. If and when I have more info I will let you all know.

Hi
I have received data back from my weight loss surgery providers , - the origin being usgi - the insisionless surgery company

" with few exceptions , patients continue to report improved satiety and decreased food capacity"

3 month avg. Weight loss ( n26) : 32per cent EWL

- compares favourably to 3mo. Surgical procedure results

- band 25-30 per cent EWL
- sleeve gastrectomy :25-30 per cent
- RYGB 35-40per cent EWL

More to follow , sometimes I try to post , but it " times out " so will post the second part of these results soon

Alexandrite

Here is my post op experience with POSE.

On Tuesday May 22 I had POSE surgery. I've had general anesthesia before 4x, but it seems like this time I was SO TIRED afterwards and threw up every so often. The plane ride home was THE WORST. The day after Wednesday May 23 I flew back. All I wanted was to fly home and rest. My stomach was in pain (gas pain?) on the upper left side and I was drowsy from general anesthesia and pain medication. It was bad enough I had to make a connection flight, I could not lift anything (I checked my one duffel bag). When I got to my connection they kept delaying my flight, and then cancelled it due to "rain". I could barely stay awake or stand, but had to wait in the 6 hour+ "customer service" line. An angel looked down upon me when a lady pulled me out to re-book. I found out I could not go home until the next day. I was in pain and worn out and did not want to spend the night in the airport, but because the flight was cancelled due to "weather" they did not provide a hotel. My credit line was used up, but I was hoping that I would still have $120 on it to get a taxi and a hotel but all of the hotels were booked- I was at the shuttles asking. I was afraid that one day after POSE I had to spend the night in the airport, sleepless, tired and vomiting. My pain medication spilled over in my bag making my laptop, ipad, and books sticky. My backpack was hard, heavy and I was cold.
The day I got back (Thursday) I had another extra connection flight, got in at noon, then I tried to go to work. All I could do was shut my office door and sleep under the desk. I left, and went to sleep at home at about 6pm. For about a week (today is week anniversary) I would wake up at night with gas pains. I can feel the gas pain still, thought it gets better every day.

It feels like my stomach is up a little higher than it used to be, where gas pains are. If I eat too much it feels like gas pains. I still crave candy and food. Now when I get full I wait until I get space again and resume. But it kind of hurts when I eat too much.. I can't say I FEEL full... it is not a hearty in your stomach satisfying feeling at the bottom. It is a top, "I have gas near my diaphram" feeling. But I am still always thinking about food. But that might be because I am still sleepy from the general anesthesia.

Truthfully, I am not sure if I will lose any weight from this. But, I can feel "restriction" though not a lessening of hunger. As long as the gas pains disappear and I become alert again once the general anesthesia wears off, I should be fine (as long as I can work to pay off the huge bill).

My goal is to lose 25-30 lbs. But I need to get my sweet tooth under control. I can't wait to start exercising again.

Thus... I think for POSE to work you must get on Weight Watchers. I was on weight watchers once for 4 months and lost 25 lbs (the same 25 I am trying to lose now) but the portions are so small (I ate 18 pts a day, no 35 flex points) because I am UNDER 5 feet tall, but could not stick to it much longer than that. I think if you just "EAT WHAT YOU WANT" you will fail with POSE, but if you try a diet plan, POSE may help you stick with it.

What's the point in having POSE if you've still got to join Weightwatchers/Slimming World/ etc. The point of having the procedure is to remove that whole treadmill - which it doesn't do.

Well said Lynda .Im of the same opinion .I expected to want to eat less which is what we were sold at the consultation x

Back for another update.

It is now 2 weeks + 2 days since my POSE procedure. Like many of the posters I've heard, my appetite the same as before the surgery. The only possible difference is 1 week and 4 days after the surgery I went to a buffet and did not eat as much - even left some strawberries on the plate. But I actually do not frequent buffets, so it's not a huge imporvement (although every bit helps). And, many posers say that they had no appetite for a week so it might be just from going through surgery. The 3rd day I did not finish a soup can. But the other day, I had a giant bowl of soup. Regardless of stomach capacity, my big problem is I graze all day long on food. I still have my sweet tooth. So because I don't feel that the ghrelin circuits were shorted it is not super helpful for me. But this was the only option I had and I am grateful for the chance to have it.

Thus, the food has not been restricted as much as I'd like (if I am doing an experiment on maximum food capacity then there is a difference.) But, you know what has been restricted? My on line shopping habit. POSE is sitting on my 2 credit cards (plus flight, hotel, taxi, overnight nurse, pre-op tests) to a tune of about $14,000 and so my credit cards are maxed out. And I have not used my credit card since. So this is great, I hope to make it a habit. They should market the procedure's side effect as a shopping addiction breaker.

On the Bright side, I have no more stomach or gas pains. They subsided 12 days (almost 2 weeks) after the surgery. 1 week and 2 days after the surgery, I was doing assisted backhandsprings in tumbling class, although I still felt dizzy from the general anesthesia. That lethargy did not go away until 10 day after. 1 week and 6 days after surgery, I was doing CROSSFIT where we were running, jump roping, doing pull ups, bench press, jerks, and burpees. Then 2 weeks and 1 day after surgery, I was rock climbing and feel exactly the same as before (no weakness) except losing some skill and grip strength from not exercising for 2 weeks.

As for weight loss, it is difficult to say because was on liquids for a few days and my motivation is up. My weight has been going up and down. But I am at that time of the month. I think I will get a clearer picture in about 2 weeks and at that I will post.

Thanks.

Liz, Lynda... I'm apt to agree with you guys - after trying those diets and they don't work, going the surgery route should allow you to not have to do that. After all you can do that without the huge money investment. For me my expectations were low... because after struggling all my life with weight, I can't imagine anything that can free me of that. And with low expectations, I wasn't disappointed. I was just grateful the doctor let me do it. I am not sure why they have BMI requirments if I am paying out of my own pocket. I guess they are "recommendations" and should something go wrong, that doctor can be in trouble with the recommending board.

For all I know, I could have been put under, pumped up with gas (which caused the pain) and then woken up with nothing done to me.

But they can do the sleeve and gastric right on top of POSE - and maybe insurance will pay for those. So now that this failed, are those options?

If I qualified for those, esp w/ insurance paying a portion, I might opt for the sleeve. Gastric scares me for the dumping syndrome and the weakness (possibly) because I like to exercise a lot. My friend had it and he got a cold sweat once when I was driving because he didnt eat enough protein.

Anyway, I hope to post something more than neutral at the 1 month mark. I'm glad the surgery caused no complications, and I liked my doctor a lot. But if this thing works for weight loss (I am also exercising 5 days a week and watching what I eat) then I will be esctatic. If it is like before except I won't gorge at buffets (which I've done in the past) then I will be delighted. If I am exactly the same, I will be satisfied to have my curiosity satisfied.

I had the pose april 13. starting wt 187 present weight 162 I think the point of the pose is that it gives you a six month window of opportunity to change your life. very much like an alcoholic or drug addict when they go to a rehab facility. yes you have to diet but the the huge difference (for the first time in my life) is dieting has become easy, I am never hungry and i never have those constant cravings that I always eventually gave in to. I now realize why normal people can just put their mind to losing a few pounds and just do it.
food is no longer this tormenting constant battle of self control and self loathing lack of control. But like any other addict I also realize my failure could very possibly be one high carb food away. unfortunately the stomach has an endless ability to stretch and if your not careful you can end up back where you started. The pose gives you the ability to just be normal and simply eat the number of carbs and calories necessary for the goals you choose. It is such a ahha moment when you realize how normal people deal with food. It really isnt all about self control after all. Obese people really are trying to slay dragons normal people know nothing about. My self esteem has greatly improved with that knowledge. As far as cost .... well some girls get breast implants some get facelifts as i get older i need less and less calories so a smaller stomach makes sense to me!!! :) I highly recommend the pose to eligible canidates.
thank you to Dr Denk in Ft myers, FL

Last edited:
Hi All
Well, I am one year out now.
It has not been easy, and I am not sure whether I had false or unrealistic expectations this time last year . My weight has wobbled up and down, sometimes most dishearteningly and sometimes very happily.
I am three stone down from last year and 4 lbs off 'Healthy', and it feels good :)
Could I have done it without Pose? Probably...anything is possible. Would I have managed it without Pose? Probably not, if honest, or I would have not been obese in the first place.
My loss really slowed down in January, I was despondent and disappointed. My surgeon was amazing; he has also offered me a reduced cost band as a revision procedure in the future if all else fails. I saw the dietician at the hospital and have stuck to protein, vegetables and minimal carbs and rare high cal/fat foods if out for a meal. My hunger is diminished following this, and I know when i am full.
Could I overeat? Yes, I can and have, I feel sick if I do though.
Could I put on weight? Yep....and I have; I have been forced to have some very uncomfortable conversations with myself about which foods I naturally would choose, and why.
Am I on a diet? Not formally, I do not go to a group or follow a set diet plan. But I have cut refined sugar out of my daily meals and follow the protein/ vegetables/ carbs order of eating, and I guess I will for as long as I want to be at a healthy weight.
I manage happily on about 1000-1200 kcal a day, usually the lower end and do not get the gnawing hunger I would have done on a diet that low prior to the procedure. I have been unable to exercis for 6 months due to a bad injury so am reliant on food management for any weight loss.
I sometimes wish I had opted for a band or a sleeve, but these were not really options for me at the time. I am satisfied however that my weight continues to go in the right direction for the time being and I feel I have learned some very valuable lessons about my body's needs and my mind's messages- and how they do not always work together when it comes to food!

So, that is me! I thought I should come back & update seeing the year has passed. My goal now is to lose 10lbs- 14lbs and maintain that weight. I am hoping to be at that point by August / September .
Wishing you all well

Toots x

Hi All
So, that is me! I thought I should come back & update seeing the year has passed. My goal now is to lose 10lbs- 14lbs and maintain that weight. I am hoping to be at that point by August / September .
Wishing you all well

Toots x

Wow, quite a journey but you have done so well in the long term. Thank you for the detailed update. Best of luck with that final 14lbs!

Hi , im scheduled for POSE 7-15-12. I will have it done in USA, LA with dr lavin. Has anyone had it done in Louisiana? Any feedback would be great. Thank you.

Back