• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op weight gain -- possible causes (article)

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I know lots of different people have theories regarding the various possible reasons for either (1) not reaching goal, or (2) post op weight gain ....... I came across this article last night and this is one surgeon's view:

The Davis Clinic :: Blogs
(Why Do People Gain Weight After Weight Loss Surgery -- Dr Garth Davis -- 22 February 2012)

The main culprit? CARBS -- simple carbs which cause dumping and the return of hunger (bread, cereal, pasta, crisps, etc etc)

Which goes well with another thing I came across last night:

Massive Health - Carbs Are Killing You [infographic]

Whilst the message "carbs are killing you" is what drives a lot of people to decide to go "protein, protein, protein!" post surgery ....... Dr Davis had a slightly more moderate view -- don't go so protein crazy that you eliminate all fibre (fruit and veggies), and you can include some complex carbs.

Complex carbs are an important part of our post op diet, in fact our brains can only get the energy it needs from carbs so we do have to eat some. Haven't time to read these now but thanks I'll have a shufty later when I get home xxx

Really interesting! Loving the blog, thanks x

Back