• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Values - advice & recommendations?

Vonone

Ensuring I have a high protein intake of at least 60gms a day is becoming an obsession. I wondered if any one had already calculated small quantities of food and their protein values, such as tsp skimmed milk powder, tbs hummus, 4-5 olives, tbs nuts& seeds, an egg, 4-5 large prawns/fish sticks....I could go on.
At the moment I'm dosing up on protein powder in the form of lattes and occasional slim fast. :)

Any comments will be greatfully appreciated - having to do the protein math on everything I eat is harder than calorie counting ( which I don't do - not yet anyway). :):):) xx

Have you tried myfitnesspal, not 100 percent accurate, but then calorie or protein counting never is, but it will give you a rough idea. It's free and available as an app. Or on Pc which update each other.

I too find this protein target very difficult as I find it difficult to eat meat. Also I am finding I can only et very very small portions. To be honest I have been making sure I have at least 1 high protein soup a day & at 18g protein per serving I find it gives me a kick start. I also try to have 2 laughing cow lite cheese triangles for some protein & calcium. Emni Caffe Latte lite (Tesco) are only 98 cals per serving & 5.8 g protein. Agree my fitness pal is a good tool for protein.
I have found a good chicken soup recipe which uses 0 % fat Greek yogurt (great protein source with no fat) in it giving 39g protein per serving! I will make it & report back.

Thanks, haven't tried fitness pal, will look into it. Not keen on cheese triangles, but will get some baby bells light to nibble on. I'm sure I will get the hang of it.

Will compile a list, as I'm sure I'm not the only one that struggles and were all doing the high protein diet. Xx

Make sure you get close. I haven't been good about it, and am now finding simple tasks hard. Like opening doors. I can really tell a difference with my muscles not working properly.

Im obsessed too as I'm scared my hair will fall out if i dont eat enough protein. it would be nice if there was a weight watchers points version break down for protein rich .foods

Been on my fitness pal and have found it really usefull. Thanks for tip xx

Hi Vonone,

I use whey protein isolate from www.myprotien.com it costs £18.49 unflavoured and £20.99 flavoured for 1Kg pouch the more you buy i.e. 2.5Kg the cheaper it becomes.

I drink it as a shake drink 30g ( 200ml or 250ml water or milk up to you) twice a day morning and evening and find no chalky after taste etc.

Victoria x

I am going to ask my GP to prescribe me protein powder as I am a really fussy eater! Don't like fish, yoghurt, rice pudding, custard - anything that I should have!

I am not keen on pureeing meat either but I know to heal I will need to up my protein intake so will have to do something!

I am going to ask my GP to prescribe me protein powder as I am a really fussy eater! Don't like fish, yoghurt, rice pudding, custard - anything that I should have!

I am not keen on pureeing meat either but I know to heal I will need to up my protein intake so will have to do something!

I don't think you can't get protein powder on NHS prescription - You can get Complan but only after dietician review and recommendation, and the GP does not have to agree - you would be cheaper to buy some pharma whey form Amazon - it works out about 55p a shake and they taste ok for a protein shake, I have the cookie dough for breakfast each day now!! Good luck x

Thanks for my fitness plan suggestion. It really breaks down what I'm eating and what I need more of.. Funnily enough it says I'm not taking in enough calories and that I must drink more water. For my height I need more protein than I thought so I'm gonna have my protein shakes twice a day.

Thanks ladies. I do have strawberry whey isolate powder and I add a scoop to my strawberry slim fast, I have this for breakfast or sometimes as an evening drink if protein down for the day. My problem is that milk drinks fill me up and I don't want to eat or drink extra -boo hoo.
Found baby bells, quick, easy and don't fill you up between meals - told the kids leave off, the're mine! Also get Graze box every 2 weeks so will have to study which are the best options - its a work thing ( supposed to stop me eating chocolate, biscuits & cakes).
Caren, thanks for link to web, will study it. Welcome back, loved the video, is this a new fitness craze? Your a hoot x

Guys I have a big problem with protein as meat & poultry been very hard to digest. Just made this soup which I modified to reduce the fat but it is very high in protein coz of the minced chicken.

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 tbsp olive oil - used a couple of sprays of fry light olive oil
2 onions , chopped
3 medium carrots , chopped
1 tbsp thyme leaves, roughly chopped
1.4l chicken stock
300g leftover roast chicken , shredded and skin removed - used chicken thigh mince & fried it with carrot *& onion in the Frylite.
200g frozen peas
3 tbsp Greek yogurt - used 0% Fage Greek Yogurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
squeeze lemon juice

Heat oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add onions, carrots , mince chicken & 1 crushed garlic *then gently fry for 15 mins. Stir in stock, bring to a boil, add peas & thyme & cover, then simmer for 10 mins.
*Liquidise and seasoning, then simmer for 5 mins until hot through.
Mix the yogurt, garlic and lemon juice, swirl into the soup in bowls, then serve.

Original recipe used olive oil & full fat Greek yogurt. I reduced fat by using frylite & o% yogurt.
Original nutritional.
PER SERVING*
339 kcalories, protein 39g, carbohydrate 18g, fat 13 g, saturated fat 3g, fibre 6g, sugar 11g, salt 2 g
Not calculated new nutritional info but definitely not as high in fat or calories but maintained the high protein level.
I have managed to eat it & keep it down & it actually tastes lovely.

Got minced chicken in Tesco's by the way.

Nibble Babybels and almonds between meals.Dont stress too much about quantities just make protein the priority all the time.Peanut butter on toast is great for brekkie,scrambled egg for lunch with grated cheese.cod in sauce for tea,and cereal/milk for supper.Baby bel for mid morning break and a handfull of almonds mid afternoon.Milky coffees 3 times a day and you will have it cracked!

Big an Bouncy said:
Nibble Babybels and almonds between meals.Dont stress too much about quantities just make protein the priority all the time.Peanut butter on toast is great for brekkie,scrambled egg for lunch with grated cheese.cod in sauce for tea,and cereal/milk for supper.Baby bel for mid morning break and a handfull of almonds mid afternoon.Milky coffees 3 times a day and you will have it cracked!

You make it sound so easy :) xx

Hey BaB, you sound so confident, I hope I'm like you a bit further on on the line. Almonds seem a good thing to have in your bag as they don't go off. Is there a particular type u get as I only tend to put them in baking?

Im 15 months out and life is so much easier the further out you get!If I could give you one bit of advice it would be RELAX!When you deal with food,shop,prepare,eat.I learnt to relax and its soooo much easier to eat and digest.I dont do noise or hassel while I eat(hard if you have kids)but do try to relax the middle of your tum as you eat.Almonds I get fron Julian Greaves or Holland and Barrett.Sometimes Home Bargain have handy one portion size bags on offer.Get small resealable bags and portion them yourself.Maz x

Back