• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Salmon - Great way to fix it

phatgirl

Hi all, this is your resident foodie with a great recipe for Salmon fillets. I bought a big pack from Icelands and I needed to find a good recipe for it. Here is the one I found & used.

Sweet & Savory Salmon

2 good sized center cut Salmon fillets (I used frozen ones that I put in a bowl of water for an hour, fresh is fine also)

3-4 tablespoons of Margerine melted (I use flora w/Omega three, this is just for binding so don't worry about the fat)

3 tablespoons Brown Sugar Splenda (love this stuff but caution, use sparingly because it does contain sugar)

3 tablespoons Soy Sauce

Juice of 1 Lemon

2 tablespoons Dry White Wine

Place salmon fillets in a foil lined baking pan. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over the fillets. Fold in the sides of the foil and 'seal' up the fillets. Chill for at least one hour up to 6 hours.

Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees. Open up your fillets and put them in the oven. Cook the fillets for about 15-18 minutes. Baste the fillets at least once with the pan drippings. The salmon should flake when pressed with a fork when done.

I served this with my parmesan green beans & italian cherry tomatoes. I served the hubby some parsley mashed potatoes with his but I am currently off potatoes for a bit due to them being a trigger food for me.

Parmesan Green Beans

Ingredients: Adjust for your serving amount
Frozen Whole Green Beans
Grated Parmesan or Italian Cheese
Finely Diced Nuts
Dijon Mustard
Olive Oil
Coarse Salt

I put what I consider 2-3 servings of frozen green beans (2-3 big handfuls) in a microwave safe dish. I add about a tablespoon of diced nuts (I used pecans because I had them leftover from x-mas but almonds are lovely as well as walnuts), about a teaspoon or 2 of dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and about a tablespoon of parmesan cheese. I stir it all until the beans look coated. I microwave them for 3 mintues, then stir again and adjust if needed (more cheese or mustard). I micro again for 1 minute and let stand for a couple minutes. Right before I serve, I salt them to taste & stir. You may need to adjust time for you microwave.

Italian Cherry Tomatoes

Cherry Tomatoes Fresh and Ripe
Basil (fresh or dry)
Splash of vinegar (any type is fine but balsamic tastes the best)
Coarse Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Splash of Olive Oil

Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters, add the vinegar, oil and spices. Stir to combine and pop in the fridge until ready to serve.

Good eating!!!

Hi Nic, what do you mean by a trigger food? x

Hiya!
'Scuse me for butting in - a trigger food is something which - once you start eating, you can't stop and it can then lead you on to other 'bad' things!!!!
I'll mind my own business now! :eek:

Hi Nic, what do you mean by a trigger food? x

It is two fold, 1 way is that potatoes are a food I would eat and eat and eat pre-op. I couldn't stop myself, by eating them it would trigger a reaction in me that I would want more & more. It is an emotional reaction I get from comfort foods. The key right now is for me to avoid those triggers so I can stay on track. That does not mean I can't or don't ever eat them. I do! Just right now I am trying to maximize my 'golden period' where it is easiest to lose weight by staying away from foods that make me emotionally want to eat.

The 2nd reason is that simple carbs (white bread, potatoes, white rice, pasta) trigger a chemical craving for food. Many people don't understand this and don't realize why they want chips, crisps and such when they aren't actually hungry. I am starting to feel the beginnings of hunger so I don't want to add cravings as well. That does not mean again that I cut out all simple carbs, I am just making them 'once in a while' things instead of everyday items. It is a choice, many do fine with simple carbs. They were an abuse food for me so it makes sense to avoid them for right now in my everyday diet.

HTH
Nic:D

Ok, I get it now, thankyou to both you Jan & Nic! By the way Nic I forgot to say that the salmon sounded yummmmmm! x

Hun, I have to say it was sooooo good. My hubbs tried to steal my leftovers (I cut my fillet in half and put it in freezer container with some of the green beans for a quick meal) but I fought him so you know it was good!!!!

Lol you come out with such funny remarks!! x

I did a salmon fillet the other night, with a splodge of low fat soft cheese on top (like in the old philly advert) and baked it. Yum yum pigs bum.

Sounds nice Shell, not sure about the pigs bum bit though!!! lol

Back