• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Easy Curry 1

ChefClay

• 3 tablespoons vegetable/Olive oil or Ghee (clarified butter)
  • 1 small onion - finely chopped
  • 1.5 inch piece cassia bark (or cinnamon stick)
  • 2 green cardamon pods
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger - very finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic - very finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
  • half teaspoon chilli powder
  • 5 tablespoons Greek-style yoghurt
  • 1 tablespoon tomato purée
  • salt (Add at end to taste)
  • 2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2" x 1" (chopped up) creamed coconut block
  • chopped fresh coriander leaf (to garnish)
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high
  2. Add the cassia, cardamons, cloves and fennel seeds and stir a little then turn the heat down to low and cook for 10 minutes
  3. Add the ginger and garlic, stir and cook for another 10 minutes on low heat stirring now and again to make sure nothing browns or burns
  4. Add the turmeric, coriander and chilli powder and fry gently for a minute
  5. Add 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, stir round and turn the heat up so the yoghurt sizzles in the oil (This will not split/curdle if you've used full fat yoghurt)
  6. When the yoghurt has lost a lot of it's moisture add another tablespoon. Stir and fry as before.
  7. Repeat until all the yoghurt is incorporated.
  8. Add the tomato purée and stir in.
  9. Stir in lots of hot water - enough to make the mixture very fluid
  10. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes
  11. Add salt to taste
  12. Heat a little oil in a large heavy frying pan and stir-fry the chicken pieces over a moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white
  13. Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer gently for another 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Stir from time to time. If the sauce gets too dry add a little hot water
  14. 10 minutes from the end add the creamed cocunut pieces and stir to melt them. Adjust the consistency of the sauce with some hot water as the creamed coconut will thicken the sauce
  15. At the end of the cooking you should have a fairly thick, creamy sauce with little patches of oil appearing at the top. Remove the cassia and cardamons if you want & discard
  16. Serve, garnished with chopped fresh coriander leaf and plain boiled Basmati Rice.
:eating:

I know this curry involves a few spices that you may have to purchase. If anyone wants me to prepare a small list of basic curry spices for your cupboard, please let me know. For minimal cost, the difference these additions will make to your cooking will transform your curries. It really will be worth the effort I promise you. As with most spices, a little goes a long way. Never buy spices in bulk and out of date. It is false economy, they are bland & tasteless!

Won't this be too high in fat for post-op bypass peeps? Certainly the ghee is but could be substituted with rapeseed oil which is much lower in sat fats and won't alter the flavour (I wouldn't use olive oil in a curry). Not sure about the coconut either, although I wouldn't personally use it as I don't like Korma curry. Maybe use some low-fat coconut milk instead?

Sorry Paul, I'm not trying to pull your recipe apart as it's a great replacement to using the pastes, just a little worried about having too much sat fat post-op. Other than that it sounds delicious, thank you for posting! :D x

Good tip about the spices too, I need to go through my cupboard and replace some from 2006 - large packs I bought online from an Asian food retailer lol

Hiya, great recipe - I make a similar one with slightly different spices and some fresh coriander at the end and I use the creamed coconut in it too and at 6 months post op haven't had any problems. I don't use too much and as the curry usually lasts about 4-5 meals the actual coconut that is consumed in one meal is quite small. its a great way to get your protein in - I put in chicken or prawns and nuts as well and its so yummy and I can freeze it for a few meals on the go.

Hi Twiggie - Why on earth do you not use olive oil in curries? (Not extra virgin)
Re Coconut paste, not a problem, just alter to suit your own taste and what you can digest.
You seem to worry too much about the fat content, like Stellap said, averaged out over a number of meals it really is relatively nothing! Do not be too hard on yourself, as always, everything in moderation!
Appreciate your comments though, that's the beauty of this site that we all 'feed' off each other (Perhaps 'feed' is not the correct word to use!) Lol
Take care - Paul xx

Hi Paul, I think Twiggy is worrying about the fat as she probably dumps on it - you can supplement it for the low fat coconut milk if you are sensitive to it and it will taste just as nice. I also do another version with chick peas in that is like a dahl and only add yoghurt rather than creamed coconut. Its great to experiment with different types to get the flavour that your pouch can manage and good fun using your partner as a guinea pig!

Hi Twiggie - Why on earth do you not use olive oil in curries? (Not extra virgin)
Re Coconut paste, not a problem, just alter to suit your own taste and what you can digest.
You seem to worry too much about the fat content, like Stellap said, averaged out over a number of meals it really is relatively nothing! Do not be too hard on yourself, as always, everything in moderation!
Appreciate your comments though, that's the beauty of this site that we all 'feed' off each other (Perhaps 'feed' is not the correct word to use!) Lol
Take care - Paul xx

I used to use it in absolutely everything, but got told off by a cheffy friend who said olive oil is for Italian food and never to be used in curry, so it kinda stuck ever since. I wasn't sure about the coconut as I rarely use it, and yes, you're probably right about me getting far too hung up on fat content :p

Thanks for putting me right xx

Last edited:
I once told a chef friend that I used olive oil for everything they looked at me as if I'd farted in their face!!! I laughed & still use it!!

RING THE OLIVE OIL POLICE, Ha, Ha!!

I love olive oil and use it for lots of things but you have to be careful with it as it burns quicker than other oils at high temperatures

Yup, I still use it the majority of the time but use groundnut or rapeseed oil for Chinese dishes.... and curries lol ;)

Hi Paul, I think Twiggy is worrying about the fat as she probably dumps on it - you can supplement it for the low fat coconut milk if you are sensitive to it and it will taste just as nice.

I must have somehow missed this reply, sorry Stella, and yes, that is one of the reasons I avoid high fat. The odd occasion I've eaten something unknowingly higher in fat it's caused cramps & diarrhoea.

Now that's a very good reason to avoid it, Ha Ha. Remember, I have this all to come so it is me learning from you! I will find it strange if I am unable to tolerate spicy foods as I do use them at length in the kitchen for a variety of dishes. Speaking to some post-op members at Sld and they had to omit spices completely from their diet. As long as I do not have to finish using Garlic! I still love on most mornings, toast drizzled with olive oil supporting chopped tomato with fresh garlic slithers. It is very popular in Spain where we were fortunate to have lived for 6 years. A very low fat dish but extremely tasty. I have a large variety of Spanish recipes if anyone is interested, especially small 'Tapas' type. It was going to be my 'cunning plan' (Baldrick!) to deal with meal portions after my op! We shall see! Cannot believe I am even thinking of food before I have even had my op! There lies part of my problem, my passion for food. Even Mr Small (WL Surgeon) mentioned this during my 'talk'. I had to convince him and myself, that I will be able to deal with it - Take care, Paul xx

Hehe Paul, I know exactly how you feel. It's been a welcome challenge though creating new low-fat/sugar dishes. So far I've been fine with spices... curry, tagine, chilli, spicy seasonings etc... so fingers crossed you will be too.

I made an interesting dish last night using aubergine, courgette, onion, pepper, tomato, cheese & tuna steak. Sliced aubergine, courgette & pepper lengthways and seared in a hot griddle. Sliced onions & fried off until brown. Layered them up in shallow dish, seasoned with chilli & herb mix (multi-grinder) and topped with grated cheese & sliced tomato. Popped in oven (or under grill) till cheese melted. In the meantime, the tuna steak, marinated in lime & coriander, was cooked in hot griddle. T'was delicious if I say so myself :drool:

And yes please for Spanish dishes, love anything Mediterranean, so tasty & healthy too! :) xx

I am (and have been post op) fine with any spices and use them liberally (my favourite being Cumin yum yum) on most cooking. You might have a problem with the toast/bread post op for a few months. I can eat bread now (I'm 7 months post op) but still only can manage a small slice. I use crackers rather than bread these days, and as bread was my problem when I was overweight that is probably a good thing!

Paul please keep the recipes coming ...and italian ideas ??? hahahaha

Back