• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeved by Mr Galloway....anyone??

thistlegirl

Hi guys just wondered if anyone had been sleeved by Mr Galloway in Gartnavel Glasgow?

I know he's an expert bander but hadn't come across anyone being sleeved by him. Just wondering his approach and post op regime?

After my band failing/slipping and total regain I'm getting sleeved on the 26th. Sooooo nervous as I now have a wee girl and am so scared of leaving her motherless...

I've been 3 days on the pre op diet and have lost 9lbs :D so shocked and really motivated now.

gilx

Not from your area but go girl!!! I am also pre op and the motivation to lose weight and hit the required target is brilliant, also lost 9lb in a week and a half, keep it up, we are all here to help each other along the way good luck !!

Thanks Pollybree. Just feel glad to be taking charge of my life again.

A day at a time though I realise how your state of mind affects your actions.

Good luck with your journey, do u have a date for surgery?

gilx

Yeah Mr G seems confident enough that it can be done. Although I am aware some people have had too much damage caused by the band, adhesions etc so I'm bearing that in mind. I guess whatever is going to be safest.

Are you having a revision?

Hi luckily I'm getting it done on NHS. After I got my band privately in Belgium I was able to get taken on for NHS aftercare.

I was banded privately by Mr Galloway, I had a sleeve conversion privately by a different surgeon in Edinburgh because I felt their aftercare was far superior to the Nuffield in Glasgow. However I know people who have gone NHS and had Mr G with fantastic aftercare. I didn't know he was doing sleeves, I just thought he did bands.

Good luck with it, the sleeve is fantastic (although mine has failed due to the band so I am having a bypass on the 30th...scary!!) xx

Hi ladies, I was banded privately at the Nuffield by Dr Galloway, he is a lovely man! Unfortunately my band failed and he suggested revision surgery to a sleeve. As I am based in Ayrshire Dr Galloway wrote a very convincing letter to the bariatric team in Ayrshire and I have been accepted for funding for surgery. I am incredibly grateful to him for this as I was devastated to have regained the weight I fought so hard to lose. Despite a bmi of 47 other than pcos I don't have any co morbidities I did not qualify for nhs treatment. I have heard very good reviews of the sleeve, I'm hopefully having surgery in October and I cannot wait! Let us know how you get on with your revision surgery thanks :)

Hi Lisao

Sorry to be nosey but will the revision surgery be done by your private provider at no additional cost. How did the band fail? I am really worried about the band failing and because I paid privately worry about who would pay if things go wrong. I went with THG with 2 years 'surgery' cover. Just wondered where people stand when something goes wrong.

If I'm being too nosey just ignore me.......... If anyone else knows the answer I'd love to hear.

Hi Lisao

Sorry to be nosey but will the revision surgery be done by your private provider at no additional cost. How did the band fail? I am really worried about the band failing and because I paid privately worry about who would pay if things go wrong. I went with THG with 2 years 'surgery' cover. Just wondered where people stand when something goes wrong.

If I'm being too nosey just ignore me.......... If anyone else knows the answer I'd love to hear.

Sorry, I know this wasn't aimed at me but I just thought I would add my wee tuppence in! ;)
My band failed by slipping severley, cutting into my stomach and my port flipped 180 degrees. I was constantly being sick from day 1 (meaning to me it was never right) and even when it was completely empty I was still being sick.
I didn't go back to Mr Galloway for my revision because I had begged him 3 times to give me the band and he warned me it could slip but he never mentioned all the problems I actually had. I had no come-back. I went elsewhere privately and I have had the most fantastic aftercare. I had to pay for my sleeve and the removal of the band at a total of £12000.....My band was £8000 to add to it, plus all my fills and unfills over the year which were being done every fortnight over 3 years. I spent a fortune! lol
I was quite disappointed in the Nuffield's aftercare. I was amazed that my issues were never reported to him, if they were he did nothing about it and trying to get an appointment with the man himself is virtually impossible. He is a lovely man though, and I hope the aftercare has got better over the years.

Hi ladies,

My revision surgery is being done at Ayr hospital on the NHS at no cost to me. The band failed for me, it was ok for about 18 months then it seemed to get tighter and tighter, I ended up with inflammation of the oesophagus, constant reflux and every time I got it loosened a bit it would be ok for a few weeks then it would start gain. I was on constant anti reflux meds and couldn't sleep lying down for chocking on my stomach acid. It was terrifying. Eventually I had the band emptied completely for 3 months then had 2 tiny fills and back to square one. Had endoscopy on nhs and the Dr advised I may need the band removed as it could slip or cause permanent damage to my oesophagus. I then saw Dr Galloway at the Nuffield, I originally went with THG but was out of aftercare etc so saw DrGalloway at the Nuffield which I had to pay for. Eventually I refused to leave his office until h agreed to help me. He suggested the sleeve but because I am based in Ayrshire he had to refer me to Ayrshire and Arran NHS with no guarantees they would assist. I had already forked out 7k for the band and wasn't in a position to pay for further surgery. I have been incredibly lucky to have not had any serious long term health problems related to the band and even luckier that the NHS have agreed revision surgery.

I have read that some Drs are no longer offering bands as a form of surgery due to the high risk of complications and further surgery being required. It's scary stuff but I do think that people who go private are left somewhat in limbo, I feel that when I started having problems no one wanted to accept responsibility and I felt very let down and alone. Now I am on a weight management program with revision surgery around October time so everything seems much more positive :)

If I can be of any help at all feel free to ask away,

Xx

Many thanks for sharing this Lisao.

I had my band fitted last week so your warnings are too late for me. I choose the band because it was reversible. The problems of slippage and erosion were not mentioned to me when I met with Mr Hewin, with THG. It is only on here that I have found so many examples of revision surgery.

I have to hope that the techniques used in band surgery have changed over the years, indeed the understanding of how the band actually works has changed dramatically over the last year. For example the band is now being put much higher so there is no pouch.

However, I think had I done more research I would have asked more questions.

Thanks for your responses ladies.

Back