• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sore when eating

Red 42

novice bypasser
Hi All

when I eat I'm getting awful burning in my gullet...it doesn't appear to be in my stomach just the part immediately as I swallow...it is so sore I could cry :cry:even when I take Gaviscon liquid ...it's just started today :confused:

I've not had anything spicy just porridge, a little feta salad and some oven baked salmon fillet for late dinner....I tried some sausage 2 days ago with a little stir fried veg but most came back up as the sausage just wouldn't go down even after chewing to a pulp :rolleyes: do you think this may have caused this awful soreness, even 2 days later?

I've really struggled since my fill 2 weeks ago and dread mealtimes...nothing is enjoyable foodwise :(

sorry...just having a whinge cos I'm sore :sigh:

Hi Red,

if you have been struggling with food and throwing up, that would explain it. Sounds to me like you are too tight, it should not be that hard after a fill.

Go back to liquids for a day, soft for a day and then see how solids are, if you are still struggling with everything, call your provider and get them to take out half a mil, it will make all the difference.

Hi there

I haven't got an adjustable band but an old fashioned permanent one that needs revising (12 years old) and I have suffered almost constantly for 304 years with the pain you are describing in varying degrees of ouch! I know exactly how painful it can be when it's really at it's worst and I can drink Gaviscon all day long when it's really bad. Drinking milkly drinks and having yoghurts, avoiding most foods for a couple of days often helps to calm it down. Stress at work is one of the triggers that sets it off into overdrive or as you say being sick which means your stomach acid along with the food has reached your gullet and irritated it badly.
Are you taking a PPI such as Omeprazole or Lanzoprazole - these reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces and since I changed to Lanzoprazole Fast-tabs (they dissolve in the mouth) my symptoms have been much improved. If you don't already take these types of tablets it might be worth seeing your GP.

Hope this is of some help.

Lyn

Hi Red,

if you have been struggling with food and throwing up, that would explain it. Sounds to me like you are too tight, it should not be that hard after a fill.

Go back to liquids for a day, soft for a day and then see how solids are, if you are still struggling with everything, call your provider and get them to take out half a mil, it will make all the difference.

thanks Caz...it took me well over a week to get back onto solids after the fill but thought it was because I'd had the op to replace my port so just persevered with it.

I'll give it over the weekend and try liquids/soft stuff again.

Hi there

I haven't got an adjustable band but an old fashioned permanent one that needs revising (12 years old) and I have suffered almost constantly for 304 years with the pain you are describing in varying degrees of ouch! I know exactly how painful it can be when it's really at it's worst and I can drink Gaviscon all day long when it's really bad. Drinking milkly drinks and having yoghurts, avoiding most foods for a couple of days often helps to calm it down. Stress at work is one of the triggers that sets it off into overdrive or as you say being sick which means your stomach acid along with the food has reached your gullet and irritated it badly.
Are you taking a PPI such as Omeprazole or Lanzoprazole - these reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces and since I changed to Lanzoprazole Fast-tabs (they dissolve in the mouth) my symptoms have been much improved. If you don't already take these types of tablets it might be worth seeing your GP.

Hope this is of some help.

Lyn

Hi Lyn...thanks for replying.

I used to take omeprazole a few years ago but not needed them recently...it's the first time I've had this soreness since having the band done...just awful!!!

are you getting a new band soon?

Hi Yvonne, I'm not having any burning but just alot of pain if I eat solids. This has been since my 2nd fill and I definitely think mines too tight. If I have anything solid I finish up being sick,sweaty and my nose runs lol. I'm persevering though and just having slimfast shakes and soup. I hope you can get it sorted as its really awful to feel like this.xx

Hi Yvonne, I'm not having any burning but just alot of pain if I eat solids. This has been since my 2nd fill and I definitely think mines too tight. If I have anything solid I finish up being sick,sweaty and my nose runs lol. I'm persevering though and just having slimfast shakes and soup. I hope you can get it sorted as its really awful to feel like this.xx

Hi Gaynor...it's all trial & error this food thing and I think I'm going to have to start at the beginning again, so I've just had some warm milk with complan for brekkie as I'm working all day today...so far, so good :fingerscrossed:

hope it gets better for us soon xx

'Hi Lyn...thanks for replying.

I used to take omeprazole a few years ago but not needed them recently...it's the first time I've had this soreness since having the band done...just awful!!!

are you getting a new band soon?'

Unfortunately I can't have a new band as the op I had was irreversible. The only option I have is revision to a full gastric bypass with a few additional nips and tucks to reduce the size of my overlarge pouch (caused by a blockage in the outlet making food backup and stretching the pouch). As far a I know I'm just waiting patiently for a date within the 18 week target - just don't know when they started the clock! Hopefully sometime this autumn.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.

Hi Red

Just wondered if you'd had a scope (endoscopy) recently...Just to rule out oesophagitis or anything similar.

Hope it gets sorted soon for you.

(((hugs)))

Hi Gaynor and Yvonne - sorry to hear your both struggling with your fills! its what I dread the most being too tight and not being able to eat a thing.

Hope you both feel better soon x

Hi Red, I don't think I can help much as I have had 2 fills and still no restriction. I do bet the odd pain if I haven't chewed properly however. If you are being sick then you may need to have a small reduction.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon. x

thank you Ladies....am on my lunch break and have had a chicken cup a soup with a couple of teaspoons of original complan to boost it up a little and feeling ok so far...apart from being starving hungry :eek: I've not felt this hungry since before I had the band :rolleyes:

I'm managing liquids really easily so will just have to go back to basics with food when I try it again maybe tomorrow.

Lyn...good luck with the bypass...hope it happens soon for you...keep us informed.

Hi Gaynor...it's all trial & error this food thing and I think I'm going to have to start at the beginning again, so I've just had some warm milk with complan for brekkie as I'm working all day today...so far, so good :fingerscrossed:

hope it gets better for us soon xx

Yes its definitely like being back to square one, trial and error. I'm happy with it now though as the weight is starting to move again. Hope you feel better soon thoughxx

Hi Gaynor and Yvonne - sorry to hear your both struggling with your fills! its what I dread the most being too tight and not being able to eat a thing.

Hope you both feel better soon x

Thanks Mazza. I'm ok with it I'm just being extra careful. I have managed a couple of potatoe slices done in the oven today so I guess my tums not as sensitive now.xx

Back